Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Agree, one of the worst thing we can do is sign anyone who's not our first choices for each position and be lumbered with players who do not or can not do what we want them to do.

Recruitment has to get some real quality over the line and I'm sure they will and they are working hard to find some players who are amazing players.

Remember theres not much transfer movement anywhere including us and part of that is because deals are much tougher to make happen these days it seems, especially when your after a certain criteria. For all we know were talking to players, agents and clubs and anytime soon next week could be the first signing, if not I think the week after.

Look how man utd are having trouble finding someone, clubs only sell players now when they choose to and for how much they want, it's no longer the buying club that dictates terms it's the selling club. 

I just hope all this is signs that were truly bringing in or trying to bring in players above the championship level, from some of the top clubs abroad. If we do have around 100 mill or more to spend it's all a possibility anyway that we could be making some big moves. Alot of it I bet is down to players themselves and how they are taking there time to way up options. Like people on here have said many will choose European football options and clubs high up the league, those players who sell 60 mill n up. There are still top players that wont be picked up by the premier leagues top clubs who will still want premier football and those we have to keep an eye out for and hope we make a play for them.  I'd say it's more than fair and a possibility to pick some big names up, three players from 20 mill upto 40 mill is not out of our league now is it, especially if no clubs go in for them and they want premier football.

Give us a few sweet players front some top europe clubs and we could certainly not be anywhere near relegation zone this coming season. I could see the Owners forking out more than 100 mill to be fair, they have shown they are willing to spend and I believe it will be slightly more than what the media suggests, possibly 115 mill which would allow us to get four players.

I think if recruitment can make a case that the players are needed and the certain players are worth going for and they would light our squad up, I'm more than certain our Owners would throw more coin at the job. 

We will have to wait and see but I must admit this waiting is tiring and annoying, just to see what our beloved club can bring in, what our capability is in the market now and how many players do we manage to pick up. 

Im in full agreeance with you and second every single line you have stated... but we do need a minimum of 5 ! Players are needed to be signed and yes at least 4 will need to be ambitious signings that are a huge upgrade in those positions. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, beachboys1 said:

just don't think he will ever be able to attract quality lovely bloke but hasnt got the clout of higher profile nmanagers

That comes in time not season after weve survived although I think it's still very possible to find some proper quality.

We may have to be abit more patient though, get a good position this coming season, a cup win would do Smith wonders, especially after he got us to the final last season.

Its progress, that is what we need and it wont come all in one go that.

Hopefully it's villa playing the game, we are in talks with option a, talks aren't landing in villas favour, villa leak to the media that we are looking at option b or c, negotiations become a bit more favourable for us

Take everything with a huge pinch of salt because its all a huge game of misinformation at best and bullshit at worst 

Hopefully option a is mckennie

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

just don't think he will ever be able to attract quality lovely bloke but hasnt got the clout of higher profile nmanagers

I don't think the name of the manager has that much clout any more, not with the profile of the league and the money kicking about 

• Like 2

I just don’t have faith in the ability of this set up to sign proper players. Track record on recruitment is chronic and we’re almost guaranteed to go into game one with Samatta. 

There are people on here that believe we are working at 100mph trying to sign targets, but I don’t know what that view is founded upon. Looking at prior windows (yes, the need was different, granted), I just don’t see where people are getting their conviction from that we’ll buy proper players, or at least buy proper players on time. 

We survived by one point last season and there is a very acute need to buy a front three. Leaving it to the last day risks throwing away up to 18 points, which we don’t have the luxury of doing. 

• Confused 1

My take on who / what we are looking for this window based on the rumours we know:

CF - a striker who is adaptable to play on the wing: Watkins (clear no.1 target), Edouard, iheanacho, Origi (reservations as I don’t know what his motivation would be). 20-30m

CF - short term option while Wesley gets back up to speed. Read on article from MoM’s which made the case for Brewster till January which made sense. Loan

Winger - fast, direct with good output: Rashica, Benrahma, Cervi 20-30m

CM - Box to box midfielder, good aerial ability, adaptable to be more defensive if needs be: McKennie, Grujic, Billing 20m

GK - compete for number one spot. Haven’t seen any credible links, but read they want prem experience, potential targets: Martinez, Gazzaniga (joe hart no.2 now?), Romero, Etheridge, Butland (bad season last, but with euros, and at right price genuinely think could be a decent buy). 10-15m

RB or LB - Links suggest we’re looking more at right backs. While Guilbert has shown glimpses, he has a tendency to come out of position to attempt a tackle opening up our right side. Having said that Targetts inability to stop any crosses also scares me. 10-20m

We add those type of players it gives us depth, and the ability to use a number of different players in different formations. My ideal window from the above would therefore be Watkins, Brewster, Rashica, McKennie, Gazzaniga with a RB added if funds are available.

• Like 1

I think the owners know that this team needs strong investment on 4 or 5 quality players, otherwise we will be in a similar position to last season.

I'm glad it is taking time to sign players as it means that we have our targets and are biding our time to secure them. A good example could be the Rashica deal. If true, we could have walked away and moved on to other targets, but maybe we are trying as hard as possible to sign someone that would significantly improve the squad.

We could probably go out tomorrow and bring in 4 or 5 players whose clubs want to sell them, and who would be happy being squad players here. But we aren't doing that. If Suso was still here I wouldn't be surprised if we would have already signed 3 players from the Belgian league that would have had no real impact on the overall quality at the club.

The quality has to be there to not only push us much further up the table, but also convince the likes of Luiz and, in a small way, Grealish that we have a strong level of ambition. Naturally this takes time.

I think we'll see close to £120m spent this summer if the right players are available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Or we've put bids in deals are agreed but selling clubs are having difficulty getting their own deals over the line? A possibility.

Yes, that's a possibility, but I doubt news of a bid would not have made it into the press by now, had we actually made a bid and had it accepted. I think, if we've made any bids, they either haven't been accepted yet by the selling clubs, who are hoping another club will eventually meet their asking price, or the player is waiting for another club to offer him another option. If either of these is the case, I hope we will not be strung along for too long and miss a more obtainable player of very similar quality, as a result. 

• Like 1