Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Other clubs are scrabbling around trying to find money down the back of the sofa to sign players.

We are looking at spending £100m on players that will improve the squad, but the negativity still seems to overpower the positivity.

It's pretty depressing.

Yeah you would think signings and more in the pipeline, plus beating Arsenal and Man U in pre season friendlies would make us all happy clappy. 

You just have to remember internet forums do not represent all of our fanbase.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, il_serpente said:

It's tempting to think that these signings are going to get us comfortably mid-table, but I'm not necessarily expecting that.   I think where we'll see the difference is in the matches against the bottom half where the other team was crap and there for the taking and we just couldn't take advantage.  Ones like the Bournemouth matches, Palace away, WHU at home.   Turn a few of those draws into wins and losses into draws or wins and we're hopefully not fighting so hard for survival.  Also, these players should help us get a surprise result or two against a top half team like some of our competitors had, particularly in matches where we were in with a chance late in the game and threw it away (Spurs x 2, Liverpool home, Arsenal away).

Likewise im not that keen on Traore at all .. i think thats poor recruitment business.. Rashica hopefully can do the magic on the other side for us and Watkins steps up to the plate. a very important part of us moving forward this season is getting that right... more quality required .. im actually wondering who is signing these players or whether its a mix of both. Guessing Traore is pretty much done then.

10 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Likewise im not that keen on Traore at all .. i think thats poor recruitment business.. Rashica hopefully can do the magic on the other side for us and Watkins steps up to the plate. a very important part of us moving forward this season is getting that right... more quality required .. im actually wondering who is signing these players or whether its a mix of both. Guessing Traore is pretty much done then.

Watching highlights from the MU game it is looking like we'll still have issues at the back.

None of Cash or Targett are great to defend, but decent going forward.

Hopefully Mings and Konsa will work out as a partnership.

A few things from Sky Transfer Talk

- Rob Dorsett intimating that it’s either Traore or Rashica, not both. I hope that’s wrong.

- He also said that we may be in for another CF? Didn’t name anyone though

- The panel we’re talking about a front three of Grealish, Watkins and Traore. All pretty generic, They don’t seem to know much.
I’m hoping for Rashica, Watkins and Traore, with Grealish and McGinn just behind and Luis deeper  

I hope we’ve done our homework on Traore, I’ve got some doubts

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

- Rob Dorsett intimating that it’s either Traore or Rashica, not both. I hope that’s wrong.

- The panel we’re talking about a front three of Grealish, Watkins and Traore. All pretty generic, They don’t seem to know much.
I’m hoping for Rashica, Watkins and Traore, with Grealish and McGinn just behind and Luis deeper  

Dorsett is clambering backwards to gloss over his tweet from the other day where he said we can't sign anymore players due to FFP.

Expressed his "surprise" at the amount of business we're trying to do today.

9 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Them idiots on sky ain’t got a clue, this Michael bridge was going on about spurs being after sorloth but can’t be as he isn’t on his list he has....

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Watching highlights from the MU game it is looking like we'll still have issues at the back.

Yeah that could be a huge problem for us the cash/targett factor . Im hoping the mings/konsa partnership blossoms but with konsa will be his consistency is he disciplined to keep it up. We need a CB and CM probably.

On 12/09/2020 at 20:58, Wezbid said:

It's not all about size, another the height of Dougie and McGinn with their heart and ability would be more welcome than a lump who can win headers (when 90% of the game at Prem level is seemingly played on the floor) but isn't that technically gifted. 

Liverpool have/had Wij/Henderson/Fabinho/Keita. 

Chelsea - Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Barkley

City - Fernandinho, Gundogan, Fodan, Silva, Rodri (actually decent size) 

Most of the top sides aren't about height in the middle of the park these days. It would be nice to have height along with talent but reading the game, being in the right place is just as, if not more important to me. 

Soucek at West Spam is a nice example of a good mix. Santamaria could be that guy. 

Buendia for example has the tenacity, willingness to scrap defensively yet has the creativity going forward too. Lacking in height but I think his play would offer more overall than we'd lose from his lack of height. 

but no one promoting the point, has said height at the expense of talent.

We know you have to be a competent player technically to be successful in that role.

Many games I see in the prem, include deep crosses, Corners are another source of aerial balls as are free kicks......If you lack height, you simply cannot reach them and surrender precious territory to ground work by talented players.....How many long balls undone us last season?, too many for my liking.

No one is suggesting a lump for ths role,....Fernandino is no a lump nor is Rodrigo or was Yaya Toure, Viera wasn't a lump either......No one is suggesting height at the expense of everything else, but in a CDM it adds another dimension, to his already main attributes of reading the game as you quite rightly mentioned.

Both Man City and Barcelona recognise that in that role, height is a huge advantage, to cut our the short circuit of advancement on occasions.....Sergio Busquets is 6' 2 as just one example of players with presence and tech ability......and that is what we are suggesting, not quite as good as him granted, but along those lines.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mings and Konsa need aerial protection from Midfield.....we need a powerful CDM.

I will be suprised if we do......but I think we will struggle if we don't.

We have 2 attacking full backs......That leaves just Mings and Konsa to take on the close contact stuff and aerial ball......its too much to ask.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

but no one promoting the point, has said height at the expense of talent.

We know you have to be a competent player technically to be successful in that role.

Many games I see in the prem, include deep crosses, Corners are another source of aerial balls as are free kicks......If you lack height, you simply cannot reach them and surrender precious territory to ground work by talented players.....How many long balls undone us last season?, too many for my liking.

No one is suggesting a lump for ths role,....Fernandino is no a lump nor is Rodrigo or was Yaya Toure, Viera wasn't a lump either......No one is suggesting height at the expense of everything else, but in a CDM it adds another dimension, to his already main attributes of reading the game as you quite rightly mentioned.

Both Man City and Barcelona recognise that in that role, height is a huge advantage, to cut our the short circuit of advancement on occasions.....Sergio Busquets is 6' 2 as just one example of players with presence and tech ability......and that is what we are suggesting, not quite as good as him granted, but along those lines.

Couldn’t agree more ... get your coaching badges in son 😉

• Haha 1

I listened to part of a podcast where Rob Dorsett said we wouldn’t be able to sign Martinez as he’s too expensive and that we’ll hang on til the end of the window to see if we can get him for less, or move on to other targets. Said with confidence as Sky’s man from the midlands. 

He knows no more than you or I do. 

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Mings and Konsa need aerial protection from Midfield.....we need a powerful CDM.

I will be suprised if we do......but I think we will struggle if we don't.

We have 2 attacking full backs......That leaves just Mings and Konsa to take on the close contact stuff and aerial ball......its too much to ask.

Spot on.

Watching Everton yesterday and Allan offers exactly what we need in midfield. Power. Aggressiveness and work rate.

• Like 2