Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

spacer.png

So you're saying we're really a Europa League team?

Even with the dropped points we were only one game off 😉

To be fair I wouldn't consider all of those as thrown away points, but some were very cheap. 

I wonder if this reported midfielder (no 8 might not cost much but be on high wages or something?

If so, that might mean we can get martinez - 19m, cash - 16m, watkins - 28m, traore - 17m, raschica - 20m?

That pretty much 100m, if we only spent 5-10m on some midfielder that a club wants rid of but we are willing to stump up their wages?, would bring the spending in at roughly 110m?

I find it strange that we haven't had a single reputable link to a central midfielder yet.

Or we will sign all of the above players (apart from the mc), and Jack will move central.

Edited by MaVilla

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I wonder if this reported midfielder (no 8 might not cost much but be on high wages or something?

If so, that might mean we can get martinez - 19m, cash - 16m, watkins - 28m, traore - 17m, raschica - 20m?

That pretty much 100m, if we only spent 5-10m on some midfielder that a club wants rid of but we are willing to stump up their wages?, would bring the spending in at roughly 110m?

I find it strange that we haven't had a single reputable link to a central midfielder yet.

Or we will sign all of the above players (apart from the mc), and Jack will move central.

Jack said he sees himself as a number 8. We have loads of backup CMs still in the squad. Luiz McGinn Grealish Watkins leaves 2 spots for attacking wide players. I don't see this extra signing happening

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Was thinking the same.

Or one of those "Loan" deals which seem to be popular with Italian clubs?

Juve for example got Mckennie for a "loan fee" of 3 - 6 mill with an obligation to buy based on certain criteria etc.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Were we not linked with Swift at Reading at one point?

We definitely need another CM. Hourihane is not a starter and it only takes an injury to McGinn or Grealish and we pretty much have to play him.

Maybe we are just going to use the last bit of the window to see who we can sell before bringing anyone else in after Martinez, Traore and hopefully Rashica.

I can't see both Trezeguet and El Ghazi staying, plus we've got 1 or 2 GK's that could leave. All of this could free up a bit of money for us to bring in someone like Sangare at Toulouse. Seen him a few times, and always looks decent in CM, plus he is something like 6'3 so is definitely a presence in both boxes. Would give our midfield something different.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Jack said he sees himself as a number 8. We have loads of backup CMs still in the squad. Luiz McGinn Grealish Watkins leaves 2 spots for attacking wide players. I don't see this extra signing happening

There are games and scenarios where Jack/John/Doug in the middle has been and will be suicidally lightweight, let alone if we have rely on any of Conor/Marv/(god forbid) Henri for any length of time in the event of injuries or suspensions. We really need more of a powerhouse CM/DM for both tactical flexibility and cover.

McKennie would've been perfect, while Swift would be more like Henri's replacement in the squad, I'd imagine. Seems like all the Santamaria/Luyindama-type links have dried up, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I’d like to fix everything in the team with a purchase but I would rather fix certain positions properly, run out of budget and get loans in for the couple of others and address them next summer

We desperately needed strengthening up front, wide areas and a keeper before the season started. It looks like this might be achieved in time. We do need another CM and CB but these can probably be left later in the window. Would love for us to get loftus-cheek on loan with option to buy and get an experienced CB in (Similar to what palace did with cahill).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Done none of that so far in the PL. Not even close to it. Championship ? Yeah, he bossed it. Yes he came back from an injury but his fitness was a concern since the 1st game last season. 

Yep, I agree, but it's probably smart to assess him based on this season rather than the last one. Not only did he come back from an injury, he had his first season in the PL so he'll develop from that alone. 

I can't even remember how he got his injury, so maybe he carried it before he got sidelined and that affected his performances.