Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I don't agree with the sentiment that the Championship is a good place to buy. The earlier statement that "we had a few down there that we wouldn't want to lose today" I disagree with. The best two I can think of are Konsa and Hourihane and I think both are easily replaceable.

How much shite did we buy for big money down in that league? The better players we have now are either homegrown or came from outside of the Championship. I'd prefer us not to buy from the Championship. 

As a championship team we had Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Grealish, all of whom have established themselves as Premier League players we wouldn't want to lose. At the time they were all Championship players that would have been excellent acquisitions for many Premier League teams. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Ultimately I'm bored of the transfer merry go round, nothing seems to be happening

The one thing I am clinging to is that we have a new person in charge of transfers.  

I am hoping he wants to make a big statement on how good an appointment he was by announcing 3 signings all at one time with a total outlay of 70 M +.  

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

@Villarocker It's not a horrible place to shop.

James Maddison. Mason Mount. Ryan Sessegnon. Tammy Abraham.

All performers in the championship before getting their chance in the top tier.

I’d be more than happy with Sessegnon down our left.  He’s probably gettable as well 👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

@Villarocker It's not a horrible place to shop.

James Maddison. Mason Mount. Ryan Sessegnon. Tammy Abraham.

All performers in the championship before getting their chance in the top tier.

But, weren't Mount and Abraham loanees from Chelsea, a Premier League club? Sessegnon has hardly done anything in the Premier League. Maddison I'll give you though. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, blunther said:

As a championship team we had Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Grealish, all of whom have established themselves as Premier League players we wouldn't want to lose. At the time they were all Championship players that would have been excellent acquisitions for many Premier League teams. 

Or to put it another way, Gareth Southgate doesn’t pick Championship players and nobody wants to be associated with The Conk. 

9 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

But, weren't Mount and Abraham loanees from Chelsea, a Premier League club? Sessegnon has hardly done anything in the Premier League. Maddison I'll give you though. 

I didn't know Mount was a Chelsea player. Obviously Tammy is.

Sessegnon I doubt was purchased as a regular starter, he's purchased on potential and for the future.

My point was mainly that there is talent with the skill set to perform in the Premier League residing in the championship.

• Like 1

In the next phase of our evolution we will need to have a solid group of midfielders that can rotate in to the team with very little impact to the overall team performance. I'm guessing Swift has the potential to be this type of player, someone who can cover for SJM or nail down a starting spot if he can acclimate to the Premier League. Also, I'm guessing Smith knows him from Brentford's 15/16 season (if I've got my timings right) so he has insight in to his personality and application. So in conclusion, I don't think this is so much 2nd or 3rd choice more just a different type of transfer target.

2 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

All young players around the age of 20, for comparison John Swift is 25, Watkins turns 25 in December. Not writing them off because of that but can see why people have concerns.

Right I was unaware of the context of the discussion prior to my involvement. Thanks for cluing me in. I see the point of view now.

As long as they are able to hit the ground running and contribute, we don't need to sign young prodigies with the world at their feet, although it'd be nice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catanzaro said:

In the next phase of our evolution we will need to have a solid group of midfielders that can rotate in to the team with very little impact to the overall team performance. I'm guessing Swift has the potential to be this type of player, someone who can cover for SJM or nail down a starting spot if he can acclimate to the Premier League. Also, I'm guessing Smith knows him from Brentford's 15/16 season (if I've got my timings right) so he has insight in to his personality and application. So in conclusion, I don't think this is so much 2nd or 3rd choice more just a different type of transfer target.

I think it depends who else you get in and that will only be determined in October in hindsight.  If you were drawing up you transfer list with let’s say 100m budget for this team, would you spend 6-8m on Swift? I think many wouldn’t 

The comments that we should be disregarding players from Championship level are pretty laughable...you make a list of players as long as your arm who've come up through lower leagues and been successfull. The key is being able to spot who can make the step up and who can't. I would have thought that someone like DS who's been a lower league manager should be better qualified than most to spot the obvious candidates, especially if he's managed them before.

People need to wake up to the fact that we either aren't willing to, or aren't capable of attracting the best of domestic/foreign talent that are already playing at the best clubs. Getting someone like Lange is evidence of the model we're trying to follow (Leicester, Southampton, Dortmund(!?)). All clubs that sign players that fit an age and ability profile who we then sell to the top teams for more money. I'm fine with that model.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Today is the day I can feel it in my water. Fully expect 3 o’clock press announcement 

It all starts today

you thought wrong GIF

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it depends who else you get in and that will only be determined in October in hindsight.  If you were drawing up you transfer list with let’s say 100m budget for this team, would you spend 6-8m on Swift? I think many wouldn’t 

If we could get Edouard, Benrahma and Rashica for £80m with a few add-ons going out, that leaves £20m to bolster the defence. If we could get someone like Dumfries for £14m, who can play both RB and RCB, we could then afford the £6m to buy Swift although, I think he'll end up going for more like £10m.

we shouldnt look to buy just to make aprofit you get success like that

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

The comments that we should be disregarding players from Championship level are pretty laughable...you make a list of players as long as your arm who've come up through lower leagues and been successfull. The key is being able to spot who can make the step up and who can't. I would have thought that someone like DS who's been a lower league manager should be better qualified than most to spot the obvious candidates, especially if he's managed them before.

People need to wake up to the fact that we either aren't willing to, or aren't capable of attracting the best of domestic/foreign talent that are already playing at the best clubs. Getting someone like Lange is evidence of the model we're trying to follow (Leicester, Southampton, Dortmund(!?)). All clubs that sign players that fit an age and ability profile who we then sell to the top teams for more money. I'm fine with that model.

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

If we could get Edouard, Benrahma and Rashica for £80m with a few add-ons going out, that leaves £20m to bolster the defence. If we could get someone like Dumfries for £14m, who can play both RB and RCB, we could then afford the £6m to buy Swift although, I think he'll end up going for more like £10m.

Please can people stop quoting the Sunday Mirror article as if it's real. Please.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wouldn't disagree with you on this; transfers don't come in the order you'd ideally want so it does really depend on what the final position looks like.. On whether I'd spend 6-8m on Swift,, again a good point, I'm not sure I would, but that is without knowing the dynamics of the squad..