Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

44 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Just done some Google searching and couldn't find anything, be cool if he is, something else to root for. 

Just had a mooch and says he is on Wiki which references this article...

Despite Italian Open Setback, Dan Evans Remains Close To The Very Peak Of His Powers | Dan Evans | TheSportsman

The Aston Villa fan has often been seen as a ‘Villain’ in the tennis world, but talent, a fierce competitive streak, an innate desire to prove people wrong, and an ability to rebound from adversity make the personally flawed Evans’ story one of the most compelling stories of sporting redemption around. 

Good lad

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Raducanu disappointing again. Apparently do to a blister on her hand she could not perform 100%. Bit soft ain't it?

I don't think so. It's not like she quit. Why do you?

I'm sure plenty will criticise as it's not a broken leg or emphysema, but it doesn't surprise me pain in her hand impacted her.

She'll no doubt get better playing through discomfort and distraction as she gains experience. It's very easy to forget she is a teenage girl 6 months into her career and, despite her early success, is far from the finished article. 

Great chance this year for her though, as an alternative, whenever I've seen Badosa play she looks fierce. Very powerful hitter and in great form, so Barty or her for the title I think. 

Men's - it'll be interesting to see how far Rafa can go. No Djokovic must be so motivating for him. Got to have Medvedev as the favourite at the moment, but him, or Zverev in with great shouts.  If he's fit, then Berretini too has the power to go far. Overcame future star Carlos Alvarez in 5 today. 

There's a chance, a tough one, but decent that Dan Evans could go deep. He beat his next opponent in straight sets pre Australian Open so will know he can do it, though FAA has the weapons to cause a lot of problems when he doesn't gift wild points away. 

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Disappointing again?

She's 19 and she's already won a slam. She has credit in the bank for years.

Yes with the weight of expectation and pressure its not going to be an easy ride. She did well at Wimbledon as well. My point is that I dont think people should expect too much at this early stage of her career. 

20 hours ago, Rodders said:

There's a chance, a tough one, but decent that Dan Evans could go deep. He beat his next opponent in straight sets pre Australian Open so will know he can do it, though FAA has the weapons to cause a lot of problems when he doesn't gift wild points away. 

Lol. Miles off. Evans is being utterly destroyed. On course for a pretty wretched 3 set dismissal. Disappointing for Dan. Inauspicious start to the year for Brits in slams then. Excluding the men's doubles.

Shapovalov is so mentally brittle. He has all the talent but there is something about this new brood like him, zverev, tsitsipas. Guys are young, very talented, fit out. Should be winning slams. Zero emotional control at big moments in big games. And the telling thing - they aren’t learning. Federer was arguably the angriest 18, 19 year old on tour. Broke rackets left right and centre. But he learned. And quickly. One player i like coming through is Sinner. Talented. Mentally looks tough. For folk that argue that Shapovalov is young, he’s 23. Nadal had 4 slams won by 23. He acted so petulant and entitled today. 

Edited by Johnnyp

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Shapovalov is so mentally brittle. He has all the talent but there is something about this new brood like him, zverev, tsitsipas. Guys are young, very talented, fit out. Should be winning slams. Zero emotional control at big moments in big games. And the telling thing - they aren’t learning. Federer was arguably the angriest 18, 19 year old on tour. Broke rackets left right and centre. But he learned. And quickly. One player i like coming through is Sinner. Talented. Mentally looks tough. 

Yes Medvedev has already won  a slam although a little older. He could be the one that dominates. if he wins this hes won 2 in a  row. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Barty is creaming everyone so far, a final with Swiatek would be a great watch, but the ease with which Barty is winning her matches, whilst Swiatek has had some long games would surely make a difference ( assuming both win their semi finals of course )

Still going to back Medvedev for the title, but really fascinated to see how Rafa will shape up against up potentially.

15 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yeah, Barty is creaming everyone so far, a final with Swiatek would be a great watch, but the ease with which Barty is winning her matches, whilst Swiatek has had some long games would surely make a difference ( assuming both win their semi finals of course )

Still going to back Medvedev for the title, but really fascinated to see how Rafa will shape up against up potentially.

Had a punt on Berrettini at 22/1 but I'm torn, the naughty me wants Nadal and Federer(I know) to keep winning majors to stop the anti-vaxxer holding the most slams. I know it's inevitable that he wins the most but its just more fun if he doesn't.

• Like 1

Â