Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

I'm always hopeful and positive before every game, but I can't see us doing this now. We needed to beat either Sheff Utd or Newcastle.

Before the restart we would've lost both games. Instead we gained 2 points on our rivals. It's weird, that seems promising but on the pitch we're anything but.

Only in the relegation zone on goal difference and with the exception of Liverpool none of teams that we have left to play are anything special... Wolves are overrated, I think people get carried away with the foreign names associated with Mendes with them, if they had UK players but were performing in the same way people wouldn't be going on about them as if they'e some sort of super team, the likes of Burnley, West Ham, and Southampton have all had similar seasons in recent years to the one they're having now... Man Utd and Arsenal are having their worst seasons in a while... Palace and Everton are midtable teams... And West Ham have been just as bad as us...

• Haha 1

If we had that point that was stolen from Us at Crystal Palace we’d be in 16th/17th 😔. Also I can see us picking up more points but we always seem to play teams at the wrong time, I bet when we play arsenal they will have turned a corner for instance.

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Only in the relegation zone on goal difference and with the exception of Liverpool none of teams that we have left to play are anything special... Wolves are overrated, I think people get carried away with the foreign names associated with Mendes with them, if they had UK players but were performing in the same way people wouldn't be going on about them as if they'e some sort of super team, the likes of Burnley, West Ham, and Southampton have all had similar seasons in recent years to the one they're having now... Man Utd and Arsenal are having their worst seasons in a while... Palace and Everton are midtable teams... And West Ham have been just as bad as us...

Can you tell the players and manager this....:lol:

Given how ultra defensive we were v Chelsea I can't see anything different against Man. United. Will probably attack more v Wolves but that will probably play into their hands with the form Adama's in, another great assist tonight.

I did say we could beat Arsenal given all their injuries and they've been awful pretty much all season. There was one poster though who countered that saying we had little chance as we'd struggle to contrain Aubameyang....Pepe....Eddie Nketieh.😉

7 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

If we had that point that was stolen from Us at Crystal Palace we’d be in 16th/17th 😔. Also I can see us picking up more points but we always seem to play teams at the wrong time, I bet when we play arsenal they will have turned a corner for instance.

We gained a point from the ghost goal being dissallowed so we are where we are, as they say things even itself out over the course of the year.

Looking at it in isolation draws against Sheffield Untied and Newcastle weren't bad results, I know people will talk about Sheffield United's form since, but they were playing with ten men v Newcastle and today played Man Utd who on their day are capable of beating anyone, and I think some were underrating Newcastle slightly just because we beat them earlier in the season. Chelsea wasn't so great but could have been worse, in a way that was the result that disappointed me the most because a win would have not only been good for the points would have also been proof to the players that they can win against the better teams and given us a bit more confidence in the more difficult fixtures to come.

We just have to try and build on the draws now, at least we're no longer concedng two goals every game, was never going to be a case that we'd just conveniently win all the so called easier fixtures to make it easier for ourselves against the tougher opposition, that never happens with teams that go on runs to survive, we as they have done will have to win in some of the tougher games as well, which of course is easier said than done, but often teams do it, and ones in a worse position than we're in at the moment as well.

• Like 1

I did a league predictor (because that's what we've been reduced to) and have us going down in 19th on 28 points. I was hoping we could pick up some valuable points against Charlton or Millwall but they didn't seem to be on the schedule.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, useless said:

Looking at it in isolation draws against Sheffield Untied and Newcastle weren't bad results, I know people will talk about Sheffield United's form since, but they were playing with ten men v Newcastle and today played Man Utd who on their day are capable of beating anyone, and I think some were underrating Newcastle slightly just because we beat them earlier in the season. Chelsea wasn't so great but could have been worse, in a way that was the result that disappointed me the most because a win would have not only been good for the points would have also been proof to the players that they can win against the better teams and given us a bit more confidence in the more difficult fixtures to come.

We just have to try and build on the draws now, at least we're no longer concedng two goals every game, was never going to be a case that we'd just conveniently win all the so called easier fixtures to make it easier for ourselves against the tougher opposition, that never happens with teams that go on runs to survive, we as they have done will have to win in some of the tougher games as well, which of course is easier said than done, but often teams do it, and ones in a worse position than we're in at the moment as well.

If Bournemouth, West Ham and Watford lose or draw to Newcastle then our result will be very good. The best thing is that it came from a losing position. That's encouraging. I think even grinding some draws would benefit us. If we can somehow win against Wolves that would be huge. But a draw won't be end of the world.

Let's wait for Watford tomorrow, to know if they'll still be a team that we'll keep looking at weekly. A lot of ups and downs, a lot of tricky games and results. A lot of missed opportunities, but we go again!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

Wolves are overrated, I think people get carried away with the foreign names associated with Mendes with them, if they had UK players but were performing in the same way people wouldn't be going on about them as if they'e some sort of super team, the likes 

They're 6th and in touching distance of 4th. 

They are an excellent team and not because of forrin names. Because they are a really bloody good team. No one is overrating them, they are just calling what they are.  To deny that is putting your head in the sand.  I say you are underrating them because of their Championship sounding name. 

If Arsenal were going like them you would be saying we had no chance because it's Arsenal inevitably charging into The Champions League. 

They're only in touching distance of fourth because the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and Chelsea are having much worse seasons than they normally have, their current points total would normally see them at least ten points off fourth place after thirty-one games, normally they wouldn't even be in sixth place with their current points total. So whilst they're a very decent team and I expect that more than likely they will beat us,  but they're not 'excellent', and certainly not to the point where we have to rule out the possibility of beating them.

And no I'm not sayng they're overrated because of their 'championship name', and yes I would be saying the same thing about Arsenal if they were in Wolves position, because relative to a normal Arsenal season, they would be having a bad season, and as with Wolve wouldn't be doing much better than other teams that finish between 8th and 7th.

To further illustrate my above point about Arsenal this time last year they had sixty-one points and were in fourth place, that's more of a normal season for them, so indeed yes I would be saying that a win against them isn't impossible if they were having a season such as the one Wolves are having now... And to illustrate my point furthermore, if Wolves had forty-nine points this time last year they would be in seventh place, twelve points behind the champions league places, and that wasn't an unusual season where it took an high number of points to reach the top four.

So again, Wolves are a very good side, but not as good as people make out, in the 2009/10 season small heath managed by Mcleish had 44 points after thirty-one games, only two less than what Wolves have now, they were in nineth place.

I don't think we will beat them, in fact they could possibly thrash us, but at the same time I don't think beating them would be some major surprise, it might be to Villa fans because of course we fear the worst, but to football fans in general whilst they'd have Wolves as favorites, us beating them wouldn't be a major shock, nor would any team beating them in the league be a major shock, that pretty much only happens when someone beats one of Liverpool or Manchester City.

Edited by useless

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Liverpoo, are chasing a points record I dont  see them playing a b team even after they win the league.

Had there not been a break and had they not already lost to Watford I'd agree, but now the unbeaten record is gone and we have next season starting much closer to the end of this one I think Liverpool would probably rather just start resting players and think about next season. If they don't beat City they'd have to win 4 or 5 of their last 6 games to break the record, which seems to me like an unnecessarily tough task to take on in terms of risk (fatigue, injuries) vs reward, but I could be wrong about their mindset of course.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

And if we didn’t have the point from Sheffield Utd we’d be worse off , all swings and roundabouts  , we deserve to be where we are 

9 hours ago, supermon said:

We gained a point from the ghost goal being dissallowed so we are where we are, as they say things even itself out over the course of the year.

What about the 1 or even 3 points we were robbed of vs Arsenal? We're still down on points from poor decisions despite the ghost goal, so it hasn't evened out for us yet. If it does then great.

Edited by fightoffyour

LIverpool may well rest players against us if they've already won the league, but they won't be fielding a team like the one that played against us in the cup, not even sure if they could play one that weak even if they wanted to, that team wasn't even their strongest youth team, they had several of their best young players out injured. Whoever they play will be more than capable of beating us. I suppose a shock is possible, but that really would be a shock.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

LIverpool may well rest players against us if they've already won the league, but they won't be fielding a team like the one that played against us in the cup, not even sure if they could play one that weak even if they wanted to, that team wasn't even their strongest youth team, they had several of their best young players out injured. Whoever they play will be more than capable of beating us. I suppose a shock is possible, but that really would be a shock.

Yes I wouldn't be expecting their League Cup team vs us if they've already won the league, but something between that and their best 11. And yes, it would still require something of a shock for us to get a result, but it wouldn't be the more-or-less impossible task of facing their best side trying to win the title.

Edited by fightoffyour