Relegation thread

Knutserov13

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

By that own logic, couldn't Watford and Bournemouth say the same?

We have absolutely no right to expect to be clear of relegation at this stage.

We were in a very good position to push on after beating Watford last minute though. 25 points by mid January. We then had the euphoria of beating Leicester last minute the next week so really no reason for our season to just disintegrate like it has.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

In 61 pages I'm sure it's been said, but this really is a contest to see who's the most useless / spineless out of us, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth, and no-one's doing themselves any favours right now.

Remaining games...

Us: Wolves, Liverpool, Man U, Palace, Everton, Arsenal, West Ham

Bournemouth: Newcastle, Man U, Spurs, Leicester, Man City, Southampton, Everton

West Ham: Chelsea, Newcastle, Burnley, Norwich, Watford, Man U, Villa

Watford: Southampton, Chelsea, Norwich, Newcastle, West Ham, Man City, Arsenal

From that list I'd say Bournemouth are in deep trouble if they don't get something from Newcastle.  West Ham and Watford run ins look easier but assuming Norwich don't give up completely, a lot of those teams still have everything to play for.

Ironically Steve Bruce could indirectly decide the whole thing. C'mon Brucey, we love you really. 

Possibly.

I wouldn't entirely discount Brighton yet - 33pts but with Man Utd, (Norwich), Liverpool, Man City, Southampton, Newcastle and Burnley to play. Fail to get a win against Norwich and they could easily be in the mix come the last game of the season.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

He was a sham, never had 2 beans.  These 2 are proper multi billionaires confirmed. 

I had my doubts when he turned up (was it Rotherham ?) and gave it the full big un on the pitch in his oversized suit, which looked liked it came from a Burtons sale.

He fooled a lot of people but I don't think he had any actual real money in the first place and we were in serious brown stuff until the new board came in. We were days from administration. 

So some perspective in the fact two years later we may or may not get relegated from the Premier League.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, useless said:

Alexander-Arnold after being interviewed after their win against Palace said with a steely visage that they want to break points records this season. They might rest a few players here and there but Imagine it will still be a very strong team, and I don't think they will be taking it easy.

Gave you the like for the phrase 'with a steely visage'. Excellent.

Don’t like thinking about it but there’s four teams fighting to stay out of those last two relegation places. So it’s a 50-50 situation and we should be realistic in terms of planning.

If we get relegated I assume we will sell Mings, Grealish, Trez, and McGinn. That will get us about £80m to play with. Squad wise:

- GK: Heston, Nyland, Steer (excellent)

- FB: Taylor, Targett, Guilbert, Elmo (probably fine in the Championship)

- CB: Engels, Hause, Konsa (needs a replacement for Mings, someone experienced like Gary Cahill would be ideal. Tuanzebe?)

- CM: Luiz, Nakamba, Hourihane, Lansbury (lightweight after losing McGinn and Grealish, would need someone like Kalvin Phillips or ideally a more creative version)

- Wing: El Ghazi, Jota (absolutely huge hole here and would definitely need serious investment, Lolley or Benrhma or someone)

- ST: Samatta, Wesley, Davis (would probably be fine in Championship)

So assuming we get £80m from Mings, Grealish, McGinn and Trez... we’d probably be okay. Spend smartly on a winger (~£20m), a central midfielder (~£20m) and a solid centre back (~£10m) and we’d easily be top half. A loan or two (Tammy? Will you get your game next year? Come back to B6, please?) would see us pushing the top spots.

So not ideal, but far better than when we had N’Zogbia and Micah on the books.

45 minutes ago, Enda said:

Don’t like thinking about it but there’s four teams fighting to stay out of those last two relegation places. So it’s a 50-50 situation and we should be realistic in terms of planning.

If we get relegated I assume we will sell Mings, Grealish, Trez, and McGinn. That will get us about £80m to play with. Squad wise:

- CB: Engels, Hause, Konsa (needs a replacement for Mings, someone experienced like Gary Cahill would be ideal. Tuanzebe?)

- CM: Luiz, Nakamba, Hourihane, Lansbury (lightweight after losing McGinn and Grealish, would need someone like Kalvin Phillips or ideally a more creative version)

- Wing: El Ghazi, Jota (absolutely huge hole here and would definitely need serious investment, Lolley or Benrhma or someone)

So assuming we get £80m from Mings, Grealish, McGinn and Trez... we’d probably be okay. Spend smartly on a winger (~£20m), a central midfielder (~£20m) and a solid centre back (~£10m) and we’d easily be top half. A loan or two (Tammy? Will you get your game next year? Come back to B6, please?) would see us pushing the top spots.

Surely you mean 80m for Grealish plus whatever we would get for the others?

40 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Surely you mean 80m for Grealish plus whatever we would get for the others?

Global recession, innit 

And don’t call me Shirley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I had my doubts when he turned up (was it Rotherham ?) and gave it the full big un on the pitch in his oversized suit, which looked liked it came from a Burtons sale.

He fooled a lot of people but I don't think he had any actual real money in the first place and we were in serious brown stuff until the new board came in. We were days from administration. 

So some perspective in the fact two years later we may or may not get relegated from the Premier League.

This is true isn’t it. We were days away from ceasing to exist. If we get relegated I’ll be disappointed but we will still have a club. Can’t believe that was only two years ago

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Enda said:

Luiz will leave if we are relegated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

This is true isn’t it. We were days away from ceasing to exist. If we get relegated I’ll be disappointed but we will still have a club. Can’t believe that was only two years ago

Yet some people are actually moaning about our owners with real money 😳

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We were in a very good position to push on after beating Watford last minute though. 25 points by mid January. We then had the euphoria of beating Leicester last minute the next week so really no reason for our season to just disintegrate like it has.

There are many good reasons. 

Poor squad and injuries to key players. We played a few games with no striker at one period of time. 

5 hours ago, Enda said:

Did we get him from Charlton? 😉

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Enda said:

We should be letting Mings, McGinn and Grealish go for anything less than a combined £120m.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Watford, West Ham B'mouth and Villa all have a close to the same goal difference. It might just come down to it. Villa need to score some goals, quickly.

I agree that it’s looking increasingly likely that goal difference could be vital, however I think it’s keeping them out that’ll prove more fruitful. Teams at the bottom tend not to score many, so conceding less becomes vital. I guess we’ve shown we’re tighter at conceding both chances and goals since the return, so that’s a positive. We’ve got to find a surprise win from somewhere now, because pretty soon someone in the bottom 5 is going put points on the board. We have to make it us. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We should be letting Mings, McGinn and Grealish go for anything less than a combined £120m.

I think you’re under cooking it at £120m. Grealish has to be a minimum £80m, Mings (having paid circa £25m, having won England caps, profile now) must be a minimum £35m, and McGinn was rumoured earlier in the season to be wanted at £50m. We should expect a minimum of around £140-150m for those three alone, depending on the purchasing clubs. Then you’ve got others who just haven’t worked out such as ElGhazi & Trezeguet, we can hopefully recoup around £15m for the pair of them. We’d undoubtedly lose Douglas Luiz if relegated, I’d be amazed if Pep didn’t now take him back with the deal they have with us, and I’d assume that deal guarantees us at least our money back (£15m)?  All that said, we don’t want the fees; we need to remain a Premier League club and retain the aforementioned players (minus ElGhazi & Trezeguet).