Relegation thread

Knutserov13

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think you’re under cooking it at £120m. Grealish has to be a minimum £80m, Mings (having paid circa £25m, having won England caps, profile now) must be a minimum £35m, and McGinn was rumoured earlier in the season to be wanted at £50m. We should expect a minimum of around £140-150m for those three alone, depending on the purchasing clubs. Then you’ve got others who just haven’t worked out such as ElGhazi & Trezeguet, we can hopefully recoup around £15m for the pair of them. We’d undoubtedly lose Douglas Luiz if relegated, I’d be amazed if Pep didn’t now take him back with the deal they have with us, and I’d assume that deal guarantees us at least our money back (£15m)?  All that said, we don’t want the fees; we need to remain a Premier League club and retain the aforementioned players (minus ElGhazi & Trezeguet).

1-The only team I can see paying that money for Grealish is Man U and I don't think they're as interested as Grealish now as they were back then. If we ask for minimum 80m, we'll end up keeping him. I've seen some Man U fans who think they'll be able to get him for no more than 60m which highlights the gulf in how much they expect their club to pay for Grealish and what we expect them to pay.

2-We overpaid for Mings, which seems to be what everyone aside from some Villa fans seem to think. I really don't see anyone coming in and paying him 35m even with the higher profile. He's proven he's a decent centre back at this level but surely nothing more. He's also 27 so other clubs aren't exactly viewing him as a guy who's capable of improving much more. For 35m, I just don't see any club spunking that kind of money on a decent centreback who's not got much more to improve.

3-The 50m rumours were bullshit and his stock has fallen since then. I'd be happy if we get 25m for him but his main suitor, again Man utd probably aren't that interested in him anymore.

If these are the minimum we're asking, we'll just end up keeping all of them. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing in the end is another issue though.

I think we can get 10m for El Ghazi alone. His stats are better than a lot of people give him credit for. He's also relatively young. Trez will stay, no one will want him unless its like a Jota deal where he's bought on the cheap as cover. I'd still rather keep them both for the Championship.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

What's clear is everyone around us is complete dog shit too. 

It's going to be a war of attrition.  Least worst wins. 

This...

If you read the twitter # of each team and look at reaction to Watfords defeat last night you realise everyone feels the same

Lets hope that bit of fight we saw in the last 15 v Newcastle from the players shows they believe, cant believe so many fans are giving up, granted you need to take points at Newcastle but so do you at Burnley who have their main two forwards out

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

There are many good reasons. 

Poor squad and injuries to key players. We played a few games with no striker at one period of time. 

That was actually our good run of form! 4 points fromn Brighton and Watford without starting a striker. Also won those games (add Burnley away) without McGinn.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Enda said:

We won’t get anywhere near £80m for Grealish, and John McGinn is never a fifty million pound player.

£10 to VT if I’m wrong.

People have absolutely deluded themselves about how much we are likely to get for Grealish once we have been relegated.

EDIT: I should say, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, Enda said:

We won’t get anywhere near £80m for Grealish, and John McGinn is never a fifty million pound player.

£10 to VT if I’m wrong.

The £50 million price tag was a result of McGinn's first few matches in the PL where I can agree he was decent.

After that initial month or so his form dropped terribly, he's slow and therefore gets caught in possession far too much.

I can see a West Brom trying to sign him if they go up and we go down but apart from that he should stay and help us get back out of the Championship. 

Why are people ignoring the fact that McGinn was playing through an injury before he got the injury that ruled him out for months, when he was fully fit he was performing to an high standard. Strange that people are so keen to write him off now, whilst at the same time Luiz has had a few good games and is suddenly a £30m player and so on, taking nothing away from Luiz as he's improving and could become a very good player, but McGinn has been the better player this season, even when he was playing through his injury he wasn't as bad as some make out.

• Like 2

Ugh I hate talking about this cos its like we are deciding the worst will happen and we are down and stripping our squad before we know it. 😪

BUT I can't help myself so speculating is no harm..

Grealish is going whether we stay up or not. its the sad truth imho. 40-50m if we go down, maybe 50-60 if we stay up. I know united paid 80m for Maguire but I can't see them spending that sorta money again now that their front 5 are playing well and seem to be clicking (pogba, frenandes, rashford, martial, james)

Mings I can see going for 25+m and Arsenal badly need him. Leicester are another as they will need someone to cover/replace Jonny Evans soon. He will have options.

McGinn i'm not sure about anymore, before his injury I would have said 20/25m but now i'm not so certain he will even want to leave. He will need to get his game back up to a high standard and keep his Scotland place. He knows he can boss it in the championship so and play every game (ankle dependent) so he might stick around yet.

Luiz I think we can hang onto also. He will have ambitions to play at a higher level, of that I have no doubt. I think a lot will depend on what the Brazil coaches will say to him behind the scenes. I get the city link with the contract and all but they already have Gundogan and Rodri so I can't see him warming the bench there. 

I'd keep El Ghazi and Trez for the champo probs but it would depend on who we could bring in as replacements, but look to get rid of lansbury.  our squad will be trim enough if we lose 2 or 3 of the above and our squad depth is not great despite the money we spent in the summer. 

I'm still confident we will stay up though! Need to get another point tomorrow or better! UTV! :flag:

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Shit teams playing shit football failing to get points. We're still right in the fight for survival.

"Best league in the world!"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The £50 million price tag was a result of McGinn's first few matches in the PL where I can agree he was decent.

After that initial month or so his form dropped terribly, he's slow and therefore gets caught in possession far too much.

I can see a West Brom trying to sign him if they go up and we go down but apart from that he should stay and help us get back out of the Championship. 

The 50m pound rumours actually came during the Summer I believe, so before he even played a minute of PL football. Which further suggests that it was bullshit.

McGinn wouldn't have been worth £50m in the summer, but that price tag was being talked about because that or not far off it, is probably how much it would have taken to buy him off us at that point, would have taken a ridiculous amount of money to buy him, he was one of our very best players, not far off Grealish's level in the championship, and to be fair not far off his level earlier in the season when they were both playing central midfield, so we weren't going to let him go cheaply, if anyone would have wanted him they'd have to overpay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I honestly think Jack is only player that goes if we go down. The rest aren’t going anywhere unless there are stupid offers.

I think we will let a few go but we won't be ripping this team apart. 

Mings will go if we get the right offer. I don't see us selling mcginn. There is no need to. If players don't want to play in the championship, then tough shit. You should have been better. Now you can help get us out  

22 hours ago, maqroll said:

Watford, West Ham B'mouth and Villa all have a close to the same goal difference. It might just come down to it. Villa need to score some goals, quickly.

Whilst I agree with this, us and watford are the only ones who've scored since the restart out of the 4. 

B'mouth haven't looked at all like scoring either and West Ham have been sticking Antonio up top because they've got almost no other options

I think West Ham getting better will rely on Haller coming back? Does anyone know what’s been wrong with him or timeframe? I think us, West Ham and Watford have been a little unlucky all creating chances, it will just come down to luck, a naff deflected goal and 3 points would probably be the difference. Let’s just hope and pray it’s us.

Look lads, it's as simple as this right  We have been the unlucky ones for around 20 years, that's two flipping decades right?? There comes a time when things come down to the wire at the end of the season that you just say: ahhh well this team tried but they just wasn't good enough to even piss on a fire and put it out let alone play football at the top with the big boys.

Will I be let down yeah sure, will i be surprised that it gets to 21 years of bad luck trying to reach three decades nah not one bit..

If these players do not want to give it there all and be the squad that break the damn cycle on the pitch, then I do not want to see them here, as that's what I most want to see happen that bad cycle of crap that keeps hitting the clubs door every season.

Was a bit bored tonight so I found a replay of the game from back in February vs Spurs at VP.

I honestly couldn't remember what happened but we are absolutely destroying them playing wonderful football. 35 mins gone and we should have been 4 by now up (Louiz missed an absolute sitter.)

We were one up and they scored a freak equalizer. (Might give the 2nd half a miss as I seem to remember now that we lose.) My point is, I can't understand how we played this well and find ourselves in the position that we currently do. Grealish is on fire in the 1st half - does he look so lacklustre since the lockdown because he doesn't have an England squad to play for?