Relegation thread

Knutserov13

9 hours ago, supermon said:

We gained a point from the ghost goal being dissallowed so we are where we are, as they say things even itself out over the course of the year.

They do we will finish 19th 😔 its what we are  - Newcastle were there for the taking last night but we are simply not good enough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yes I wouldn't be expecting their League Cup team vs us if they've already won the league, but something between that and their best 11. And yes, it would still require something of a shock for us to get a result, but it wouldn't be the more-or-less impossible task of facing their best side trying to win the title.

2nd string Liverpool  11 will destroy us i think.  we are simply not good enough! 

The most optimistic point of view that I can think of is going down will make it easier to improve our squad and get them used however which way it is that the manager wants us to play, that's the advantage that Wolves and Sheffield Unted had, whereas with Smith because he brought us up so soon and then had to buy pretty much an whole new team we kind of had to learn in the premier league as we went along.

In fact dare I say it, if we were to come straight back up we might even look back on this relegation as a blessing in disguise of sorts.

I still hope we can somehow survive though of course.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Trying to be optimistic, we will go down with less problems than last time plus there is no FFP so we can run amok and by all the players, every single one of them.

"no FFP"

What...?

Really frustrating that we again are relying on others especially when you look at the games played, there has definitely been some improvements since we have returned but then we have slipped in others however that said you have to say that the 4 teams involved are pretty much all as bad as each other and so this is far from over.

If you look at the games so far we could have taken something despite poor performances and I honestly believe that it could just take 2 wins between now and West Ham to create that shoot out on the last day.....

Sheffield United - We defended pretty well and restricted them to very little but then missed the 3/4 chances we had in the game however should have lost through an error

Chelsea - Difficult watch and very frustrating in our approach however again we defended ok and missed a couple of decent chances to take a point

Newcastle - See Sheffield, exactly the same pattern of the game however the one error has this time cost us

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Had there not been a break and had they not already lost to Watford I'd agree, but now the unbeaten record is gone and we have next season starting much closer to the end of this one I think Liverpool would probably rather just start resting players and think about next season. If they don't beat City they'd have to win 4 or 5 of their last 6 games to break the record, which seems to me like an unnecessarily tough task to take on in terms of risk (fatigue, injuries) vs reward, but I could be wrong about their mindset of course.

Yeah, I think chasing points records is one for the fans.  Clubs are interested in trophies and protecting highly expensive assets.  They will be professional and look after their squad, ESPECIALLY with the torrent of games in quick succession and short turnaround to next season. 

• Like 1

If the best we can do against Sheffield and Newcastle is a draw,then we are going down.It could be for a while as well.We will definately lose Jack,Mings and Mc Ginn and maybe even Heaton.If thats the case then I cant see us comming back again for a few years.We will be doing a Leeds.

Just now, PussEKatt said:

If the best we can do against Sheffield and Newcastle is a draw,then we are going down.It could be for a while as well.We will definately lose Jack,Mings and Mc Ginn and maybe even Heaton.If thats the case then I cant see us comming back again for a few years.We will be doing a Leeds.

I'm not sure McGinn will go because he's been out for so long and he's looking out of sorts at the moment, not influencing the game and looks fairly chunky to be honest compared to his normal self.  Not sure another 7 games is going to change that much to be honest to convince somebody to spend the cash to buy him.  We know what a talent he is, I think admirers know he has talent but given the last six months and what he's showing at the moment, I think it might be January before anybody comes seriously calling

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Im of the opinion that when we do get relegated we need to wipe the slate clean..get rid of all the players that cant be arsed and rebuild a team in the championship for a couple of seasons,and then come back up with a solid core which we can add too to compete in the premier league...Its just never going to work if we stay up with the systems and people that are running the club at the moment

Edited by OLDVILLAIN

23 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

rebuild a team in the championship for a couple of seasons

Agree with everything you said and in an ideal world this would work.

The problem is very obvious with the Villa especially,  what gets you out the Championship doesn't keep you in the Prem.

In some games we hardly get a kick of the ball and possession for us is 20 - 35% in a lot of games or approx 70% of the time we are never going to score or look like we are (No ball).

We have 3 or 4 Premiership class players at most.  We need a 16 + of these throughout the squad to even compete in most games.

It doesn't help with the injuries etc either because there is no depth of quality at all.

28 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Im of the opinion that when we do get relegated we need to wipe the slate clean..get rid of all the players that cant be arsed and rebuild a team in the championship for a couple of seasons,and then come back up with a solid core which we can add too to compete in the premier league...Its just never going to work if we stay up with the systems and people that are running the club at the moment

I dont blame the players at all.They give the impression that they cant be bothered because what sort of direction do they get from Smith.Does he demand more ? does he come up with a decent plan ? does he even make the right substitutions and what about stuff like Samatta on the bench and Jack on the left for the Sheffield game,a game we had to win.Do you really expect the players to give it 110% with stuff like that going on.Jack is probibly wondering why he is on the left.Samatta is probably wondering why he is on the bench for a must win game and the whole team is probably wondering WTF is going on and what are they supposed to do.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Had there not been a break and had they not already lost to Watford I'd agree, but now the unbeaten record is gone and we have next season starting much closer to the end of this one I think Liverpool would probably rather just start resting players and think about next season. If they don't beat City they'd have to win 4 or 5 of their last 6 games to break the record, which seems to me like an unnecessarily tough task to take on in terms of risk (fatigue, injuries) vs reward, but I could be wrong about their mindset of course.

If they were still involved in the champions league I would agree but even when they win the league I think they won’t just rest everyone. They will probably rotate a bit. We can’t expect to play a b side like we did in the cup. That won’t happen 

48 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

If we sell those 4 players we will bring in about GBP100M minimum.  Presume that will be reinvested into the squad. 

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont blame the players at all.They give the impression that they cant be bothered because what sort of direction do they get from Smith.Does he demand more ? does he come up with a decent plan ? does he even make the right substitutions and what about stuff like Samatta on the bench and Jack on the left for the Sheffield game,a game we had to win.Do you really expect the players to give it 110% with stuff like that going on.Jack is probibly wondering why he is on the left.Samatta is probably wondering why he is on the bench for a must win game and the whole team is probably wondering WTF is going on and what are they supposed to do.

you are a little niave if you think that the players are not to blame..so many personal mistakes from them,you say you cant expect the players to give 110%..well i do expect them to do so at a minimum..they need to show pride in the club and the shirt,i have not seen that with this bunch of mercenaries el ghazi,trez,nakamba,hause and one or two others are the worst "footballers" i have ever seen at my club..I have said this from the start that whoever scouted these players and hired them should just fall on his sword