Borja Bastón

alreadyexists

pretty similar to when we signed Christ Sutton, low risk, low wages and short deal. Would rather play with a shit striker than no striker. Majority of the clubs in the prem are trying to sign strikers, and it seems like the majority are failing, at least we got something

Who knows, maybe he'll actually suit us and everything clicks? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

To be fair though, fans want a striker for sure but, I'm sure they're thinking someone who will play and look like scoring? Not saying Baston won't but his career stats don't really give much hope. 

Samatta is that player, the third choice striker will have been signed hoping he will never play. He’s unlikely to even be involved in our match day squads barring injury/suspension

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Our hands are pretty tied up with FFP. This is sensible. He will put in a shift and his the second/ third choice striker.

2 year contract might be being a little hopeful, but let’s say max 3 year.

I'd be surprised if his contract is longer than to this summer, potentially with a 1 year extension if we choose to activate it

Repost from the transfer thread:

so after knowing literally nothing about Borja Baston 5 minutes ago, i can glean the following.

- contract expires this summer, reports say this would be a free transfer.

- in 2015/16 season he scored 18 goals in 36 games for Eibar in La Liga.

- in 2014/15 he scored 22 goals in 38 games for Zaragoza in Liga 2.

- Joined Swansea in August 2016 for £15.5m

- Had a quiet 4 years, scoring 13 goals in 77 games.

- Overall (inc last 4 years), has a 1 goal in 3 games average.

- he is 6ft 3, looks a little like a target man who is ok with the ball on the ground, from the vids.

- capped at Spain u16, u17 and u19 level.

to be honest, if it is a free transfer, he's prob 3rd choice striker, and if he has any chance of rediscovering some form, could be a shrewd bit of business, or.....if it doesnt work, a freebie that didnt work.

im fine with that tbh.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

You can't make this shit up can you!?!?

"What does the club mean no other strikers....ffs we are doomed!!"

AVFC poised to sign Baston!

" Nah....shows desperation!! Don't want him!"

Ffs....4 hrs in the life of a Villa fan! 😒😒

We really are a miserable lot, aren't we?  hahaha

• Like 2

What a random link....I take it Suso has signed him previously at one of the Spanish clubs he worked at? I think they might've been at Atletico Madrid at the same time.

Borja Baston had a really good season in La Liga. Swansea signed him in same summer as Llorente and he was a total flop and they were then endlessly loaning him back to Spain and he didn't go much at likes of Malaga.

Completely forgot about him but he was given another chance this season and scored a few at the start but hasn't started much recently.

Andre Ayew would be a better pick up given he can also cover wide positions but guess Swansea don't want to let him go. I presume this is just a loan deal?

He last scored on September 28th btw....

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Andre Ayew would be a better pick up given he can also cover wide positions but guess Swansea don't want to let him go. I presume this is just a loan deal?

Free transfer it looks like. Swansea might just want him off the books, they signed him when in the PL?

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

6 in 15 starts. Basically a goal every 200 minutes. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/106872/Show/Borja-Bastón

Respectable stats. 

I know he’s free, and likely not our starting forward... but I LOVE it when we sign players and especially strikers!

Â