Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Totally get that.  Daughter is Customer Experience Manager for one of the Big 4, been sworn at, had a doctor hope that she was never in the operating theatre due to my daughter asking to see NHS ID as she was shopping in the NHS hour.

Never mind punches being thrown when asking general public to comply with the government advice.

I was baking at Sainsburys during the first lockdown, my manager got spat in the mouth which was revolting, he's only small but built like a brick shit house/bungalow and he ended up doing some karate move on the guy who pissed himself.  So he got gobbed and pissed on.  Also one of my best mates there got spat at, she's just out of college earning some money for uni and has to put up with animals doing that.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Believe it when I see it. With something like 40k nursing vacancies, 20k doctor vacancies and staff sickness rates three times higher than they usually are how the hell will they staff them. They have been a waste of money and were just a PR exercise.

They said yesterday they spent £220m on them! Another bullet point on the inevitable decade long enquiry to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Believe it when I see it. With something like 40k nursing vacancies, 20k doctor vacancies and staff sickness rates three times higher than they usually are how the hell will they staff them. They have been a waste of money and were just a PR exercise.

This is exactly why they were never used in the first place

• Like 1

A few months back, someone (maybe @jackbauer24 ?) posted a couple of YouTube videos from a bloke who was claiming there would be no second wave ("dangerous hysteria") and asked an open question as to what VT thought of it

Some of us tried to counter what he was saying in the videos. Do these YouTube whoppers ever renounce their previous "analysis"?

Anyway, the reason to mention this really, is to kind of point out to people who might initially take stuff  from these types on-board without too much sceptisism (asking questions was good), that if they go back to it later, they might be seen (the YouTubers) for what they actually are - "unreliable sources" is a kind description.

5 hours ago, blandy said:

A few months back, someone (maybe @jackbauer24 ?) posted a couple of YouTube videos from a bloke who was claiming there would be no second wave ("dangerous hysteria") and asked an open question as to what VT thought of it

Some of us tried to counter what he was saying in the videos. Do these YouTube whoppers ever renounce their previous "analysis"?

Anyway, the reason to mention this really, is to kind of point out to people who might initially take stuff  from these types on-board without too much sceptisism (asking questions was good), that if they go back to it later, they might be seen (the YouTubers) for what they actually are - "unreliable sources" is a kind description.

As you named me... The guy I posted continues to post videos along much the same lines and continues to question the interpretation of data... This is his latest one from a quick check. Not watched any in ages as I've kind of switched off from it all.

However, whilst I have no desire to get in to it too much, there is still this seemingly binary 'ideology' between armageddon and denial, there doesn't seem to be any scientific debate about actions and that is the main issue as far as I'm concerned. Covid response is being treated more like a religion than a science and that worries me. Rules of 6 based on? Rules on Tiers make no sense. Schools open makes no sense. Tiers being increased after a national lockdown makes no sense. Cases are largely irrelevant (asymptomatic or no lasting effects), admissions are and mortality certainly is.

I acknowledge I don't know everything, enough, even a little... But what I don't like is the ever diminishing number of people who will be transparent, debate or explain without derision, pomposity or virtuousness.

I did see an former Head of Pathology Dr John A Lee (writes for Spectator and Daily Fail) in which he maintains this is the wrong response. He is far more knowledgeable than me so it makes sense to question some aspects. It doesn't mean you think it is all a conspiracy or about tracking us or all that crap.

But if he's wrong why aren't respectable names like his being challenged in mass media rather than being allowed to speak in small columns in national arenas and build up a following? Why is he not on Question Time being torn to shreds? Not allowing the dissenting voice, whether right or wrong, is not something I feel comfortable with.

But that's enough of that. My resolution is not to think about the whole thing if at all possible, my voice/views are irrelevant and I will follow blindly to save myself the anguish and just keep going til it, one day, passes.

Happy New Year all!

Edited by jackbauer24
Clarification of point based on Enda post :)
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I have no desire to get in to it too much, there is still this seemingly binary 'ideology' between armageddon and denial, there doesn't seem to be any scientific debate about actions and that is the main issue as far as I'm concerned. Covid response is being treated more like a religion than a science and that worries me

Good post. This bit though, I agree to an extent with the “binary” categorisation, I’d say you’ve got scientists and medics being strongly for protective measures, and then some libertarians being strongly for “don’t tell people what to do, or not to do...keep stuff open”.

If it is being treated like a religion, then it’s by the believers in “freedom” (the libertarians) not by the adherents to data based analysis (scientists and medics). You’ve basically got ideologists v reality.

Hospitals are bursting with sick folk, deaths are higher, operations and routine procedures are cancelled. Ideology cannot defeat a virus, only medicine and science can do that.

You’re right, too that the media could do more to expose the false analysis and erroneous claims of various numpties, but in the modern world that too carries the risk of just giving publicity to people who actually want that contrarian “fame” to boost their income from the YouTube channels or wherever.

HNY to you too 🍻

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I'm assuming it was an Ivor Cummins video. Nothing but a scumbag grifter (a fad diet promoter pre covid) who has been wrong throughout yet still maintains a huge audience of gullible fools. Has made a small fortune through patreon on the back of it.

It is all getting very desperate in a number of London hospitals. The NHS have been running right on the edge for a number of years now in winter and it was never going to take much to tip it over the edge. Covid is going to tip it over and some.

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

Good post. This bit though, I agree to an extent with the “binary” categorisation, I’d say you’ve got scientists and medics being strongly for protective measures, and then some libertarians being strongly for “don’t tell people what to do, or not to do...keep stuff open”.

If it is being treated like a religion, then it’s by the believers in “freedom” (the libertarians) not by the adherents to data based analysis (scientists and medics). You’ve basically got ideologists v reality.

Hospitals are bursting with sick folk, deaths are higher, operations and routine procedures are cancelled. Ideology cannot defeat a virus, only medicine and science can do that.

You’re right, too that the media could do more to expose the false analysis and erroneous claims of various numpties, but in the modern world that too carries the risk of just giving publicity to people who actually want that contrarian “fame” to boost their income from the YouTube channels or wherever.

HNY to you too 🍻

One thing I’d have to say is that media is loving this. There is no nuance or analysis, it’s week after week of Armageddon. That’s not just the U.K. media, Australia has had a pretty light COVID year but a few cases have popped up in the holiday period and the headlines that have followed are just laughable looking on from abroad. Everything is put in the worst possible spin because that panic they generate sells papers. 

Me and the family elected to go for drive-through tests today.

On the Tuesday before Christmas we (foolishly) met up with for an hour with a friend at their house.  We were in a Tier 2 area, although we're from what was a Tier 3, as we'd taken one of the kids for a trip out and muggins here needed the toilet... We had friends nearby so we stopped off. Initial plan was for me to use the khazi and have a quick natter on the drive. It was cold, so we went inside for a coffee - it's a big house and we maintained our distance, no handshakes etc.

We got a call from the friend yesterday to say the two adults and three kids had all tested positive for Covid. No symptoms for the kids, a few aches and pains plus no smell/taste for the Mom, and flu-like symptoms from the Dad.

We've got no symptoms, saw them more than 2 days before their own symptoms started and according to the guidance would just need to self-isolate until end of Friday to make it 10 days since contact with no symptoms.  We chose to get tests, though, with the youngest back at nursery on Tuesday, just to be safe.

The appointment was easy enough to arrange at a large park and ride nearby. Arrived and was shown a mobile number to speak to the person standing next to the car. Naturally I ordered two Happy Meals and a box of nuggets. Wasn't sure how that would go down, but it made the lady laugh and she said they'd had some nasty and rude people through there this morning and it was refreshing to get someone nice. Sad state of affairs...

The test is unpleasant, with the nose swab being tickly but the throat swab making me do a few proper deeps gips - if I'd had breakfast any later I'd have ralphed up on the dash.

Now for the wait to get the results, hopefully tomorrow.  We're all still symptom free, but you just dunno.

A lesson learned though. I should've just peed in a field.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Me and the family elected to go for drive-through tests today.

On the Tuesday before Christmas we (foolishly) met up with for an hour with a friend at their house.  We were in a Tier 2 area, although we're from what was a Tier 3, as we'd taken one of the kids for a trip out and muggins here needed the toilet... We had friends nearby so we stopped off. Initial plan was for me to use the khazi and have a quick natter on the drive. It was cold, so we went inside for a coffee - it's a big house and we maintained our distance, no handshakes etc.

We got a call from the friend yesterday to say the two adults and three kids had all tested positive for Covid. No symptoms for the kids, a few aches and pains plus no smell/taste for the Mom, and flu-like symptoms from the Dad.

We've got no symptoms, saw them more than 2 days before their own symptoms started and according to the guidance would just need to self-isolate until end of Friday to make it 10 days since contact with no symptoms.  We chose to get tests, though, with the youngest back at nursery on Tuesday, just to be safe.

The appointment was easy enough to arrange at a large park and ride nearby. Arrived and was shown a mobile number to speak to the person standing next to the car. Naturally I ordered two Happy Meals and a box of nuggets. Wasn't sure how that would go down, but it made the lady laugh and she said they'd had some nasty and rude people through there this morning and it was refreshing to get someone nice. Sad state of affairs...

The test is unpleasant, with the nose swab being tickly but the throat swab making me do a few proper deeps gips - if I'd had breakfast any later I'd have ralphed up on the dash.

Now for the wait to get the results, hopefully tomorrow.  We're all still symptom free, but you just dunno.

A lesson learned though. I should've just peed in a field.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

NV you aren’t the only one, very few of us are squeaky clean. Hope you and yours have escaped it. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Enda said:

Hi Jack, overall fair post but I want to pull you up a bit on the bolded part.

A few months ago I was working away on improving my 5km race time. I’d beaten my 2 mile record, everything was going fine, and then I got COVID.

A mild dose, no hospital admission and certainly no dying. But I have not been able to run more than 100m since. I don’t know if I ever will. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to play football again. There’s absolutely no chance I could run a 5k. Some days I need to leave work and go lie down.

Please don’t tell me that’s irrelevant.

Other than the bolded bit your post makes fair points, and I wish you all the best for the New Year, but don’t treat this as just another flu. I hope one day I’ll get better and be able to run again.

I've liked your post, obviously not the fact you have not recovered, in that respect I wish you all the best, but thank you for highlighting this. 

So so many people think that it's only a disease which hurts old and unhealthy people, and that for everyone else it's nothing more than a mild inconvenience.  Your story is important to bust these myths and to serve as a warning to all the people who think they don't need the vaccine because even if they get it they will be OK.

Hopefully 2021 brings you a full recovery. 

• Like 4

Amid all this chaos, I hope somebody is finding the time and resources to research into what causes the massive variation in severity of symptoms, because it really does seem to be Russian roulette. My hunch is that it's something genetic. 

• Like 1

Got tested on NYE as I was full to the gills with virus. Turns out it was good old rhino rather than corona. In all of this I have learned that I've basically been getting infected with the same three or four rhinovirus manflu's my whole life.

My immune system fights them off every time after about 5 days and then forgets how to do it so I get re infected at least once a year. This will happen throughout my life. 

Effectively it means that if I take 7 days as the average infection each year and I estimate living to 90, I will have had a manflu for 630 days, or nearly 2 years. Surely this is a much bigger issue than 2 million dead or whatever it is. 

Oxford, Pfizer, bio whoever, get your shit together and sort out the cure for manflu now. It couldn't be more important. 

• Haha 1

Â