Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I guess it must have been filmed a while ago, were they wearing bin liners?

Well the lack of PPE was one of the themes. Not a typical episode of the normally predictable medical semi-soap. Definitely a piece of (necessary, imo) propaganda, more like a documentary. 

Screenshot_20210102_233645_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Given Johnson's remarks earlier today, I wouldn't be surprised if it roughly pans out like this:

There will be all sorts of confusion and acrimony over the next two weeks when some schools open and some don't and some children go to school and some don't and then when they're all due to go back on the 18th, there'll be an announcement on the 16th or 17th to say that all schools will be closed for the next two to three weeks as there's a new level of restrictions imposed.

• Like 4

Interesting to see when crowded events will become the norm again. Selfishly thinking of the amount of gigs/festivals I was due to go to this year after already being rearranged twice or so already. Questioning whether June will be too soon. Whoever makes that decision (Boris) is gonna have to have balls of steel no matter how low the rate of infection gets. Just out of curiosity, what with the vaccines becoming more and more available now, are we predicting a sense of normality to return this Summer? It seems to have been overshadowed by the new strain. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MCU said:

Interesting to see when crowded events will become the norm again. Selfishly thinking of the amount of gigs/festivals I was due to go to this year after already being rearranged twice or so already. Questioning whether June will be too soon. Whoever makes that decision (Boris) is gonna have to have balls of steel no matter how low the rate of infection gets. Just out of curiosity, what with the vaccines becoming more and more available now, are we predicting a sense of normality to return this Summer? It seems to have been overshadowed by the new strain. 

I think it’ll be 2022 before we see any events. I can’t see us being clear of COVID before then, not with this Government managing things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

I think it’ll be 2022 before we see any events. I can’t see us being clear of COVID before then, not with this Government managing things.

I don't think so. The restrictions are all down to hospital cases.  The vast majority of hospital cases and in turn deaths are elderly and pre existing conditions people.  They are talking about getting all those done by end of March.  Immunity takes 21 days to kick in, putting the majority of the danger away by mid to late March. 

When is the furlough scheme currently slated to end? 

I think they will think there is enough protection for the world to reopen by end of April.  They probably can't afford it to go beyond that regardless. 

• Like 2

On 31/10/2020 at 18:45, HanoiVillan said:

His self-perception as some kind of libertatian radical is one of the weirdest things in politics IMO. He must believe it - otherwise why does he keep saying 'least of all me' all the time - but there's really not very much evidence of it from his actual political career.

A deeply weird man.

I thought I'd better return to this post to say that in fairness to Johnson, part of the reason he has an incorrect perception of himself as a classical liberal obsessed by civil liberties is probably that stupid people keep insisting it is true, in defiance of any actual evidence.

Behold, Britain's Dumbest Man doing it just today:

I can see his point. Declaring a national lockdown on a Sunday evening, with rules about "only go to work if you can't WFH" would introduce huge amounts of uncertainty for workers, mostly due to middle managers who rule their workers like they're a petty King. I'm in a fairly secure position where I can just unilaterally say "I don't need to physically be there, I'm working from home", but many workers don't have that luxury, and don't feel confident taking a stand.

Giving companies a day to get their shit together and agree what the lockdown means for their staff so that childcare arrangements can be made isn't an unreasonable approach, IMO. 

Labour/Starmer are basically doing what they rightly accuse the Tories/Johnson of and dithering and failing to show decisive leadership.

I don't get it as these are open goals and an opportunity to show you can lead and make firm decisions. It is not as though they would be being controversial either as at a time when the virus is spreading like wild fire it is the logical thing to say schools should not reopen tomorrow. 

In fairness though a decision to not reopen should have been made a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I don't think so. The restrictions are all down to hospital cases.  The vast majority of hospital cases and in turn deaths are elderly and pre existing conditions people.  They are talking about getting all those done by end of March.  Immunity takes 21 days to kick in, putting the majority of the danger away by mid to late March. 

When is the furlough scheme currently slated to end? 

I think they will think there is enough protection for the world to reopen by end of April.  They probably can't afford it to go beyond that regardless. 

Furlough scheme ends 30th April 2021

Â