Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The one good thing out of all of this is that it is unlikely a Corona type virus will be able to do this again.

The development of the Vaccine using multiple methods to crack the problem means we now have techniques that will allow us to create specific made to measure vaccines in the future a lot more easily and quickly.

The virus will always have the spikes and we now know what to do.

For future generations that's one positive.  At the start of this it was thought by some a vaccine could never be made.

Its a great achievement if the vaccine is successful. In 9 months the world has combined to find a cure to the deadly virus. Obviously thrown all the money at it. 

Makes you wonder if a cure for cancer, or say the common cold/flu, could be done, if companies/governments showed the same level of support. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Makes you wonder if a cure for cancer, or say the common cold/flu, could be done, if companies/governments showed the same level of support. 

I’m amazed there isn’t a cure for any cancer yet. Whilst it hasn’t had coronavirus levels of effort it has had billions of pounds invested in it for several decades. 

A room, a bar and a classroom: how the coronavirus is spread through the air

The risk of contagion is highest in indoor spaces but can be reduced by applying all available measures to combat infection via aerosols. Here is an overview of the likelihood of infection in three everyday scenarios, based on the safety measures used and the length of exposure

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Do look at a sensible explanation. 

If anyone's seen better? Please put it up.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

So many shades of both. A single cure for colds or cancers would be near miraculous.

Chances of surviving bowel cancer have considerably improved, if detected early?

Lung and pancreatic cancer remain largely lethal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

Makes you wonder if a cure for cancer, or say the common cold/flu, could be done

Not a cure but I would imagine a common cold vaccine, is a mere hop and a skip away from the current one, same family of virus and all that. Hell for all we know, one of these vaccines may effectively already do the job

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not a cure but I would imagine a common cold vaccine, is a mere hop and a skip away from the current one, same family of virus and all that.

I thought that but it's not,  the common cold virus is not the same as this corona type as it works differently,  the same methods won't work on the cold virus  & it changes too quick.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Not a cure but I would imagine a common cold vaccine, is a mere hop and a skip away from the current one, same family of virus and all that. Hell for all we know, one of these vaccines may effectively already do the job

Big business cold and flu ‘remedies’.....be interesting to see how that plays out.

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Big business cold and flu ‘remedies’.....be interesting to see how that plays out.

Big business, cold jab, £15 from your pharmacist, every year.

I very much doubt any government will pay for a cold vaccine for everyone. A cold isn't going to kill you. People in general would however be willing to pay not to get one

8 hours ago, villakram said:

You are making the mistake of presenting ideal/laboratory use cases and imagining that is what is happening in everyday life. I am looking at the actual data in the actual world we live in. The large outbreaks ongoing globally, in the presence of large scale mask wearing empirically demonstrates that in practice masks are of little to no practical use. 

or just imagine how much worse it would be if no one wore masks.

5 hours ago, villakram said:

What evidence? and how am I eager to demonstrate how useless masks are? What a time to be alive, where simply looking at the available data and comparing it to expected outcomes turns one into some form of lunatic. 

The real world differs from the lab. Lot's of things that work in the lab don't work in the real world, e.g., see the pharma world and the amount of mouse and other models that fail. See physics, where theoretical models are consistently being overturned by new data. In physics as a purer science field, that very process is precisely what science is.

Here, lab work and common sense show that masks should be effective. Unfortunately, the data out in the wild contradicts this assumption (which you have done no more than repeat). In contrast, mask and PPE usage/protocol have clearly been shown to be actually effective in controlled hospital settings (although, see MRSA and all the other issues endemic therein). The reasons why are not clear, hence my pointing to your post from a few pages back as the suspicion is that the behavior you outlined may help to explain things.

All of this also ignores hygienic issues around repeated and/or longterm mask usage (wearing a mask for 8 hrs leads to interesting bacteria and fungal growth, for example) or the reduced blood oxygenation that wearing a mask causes.

Yes it’s not a lab, a lot of people refuse to wear masks despite the evidence, or wear them around their chin or off their nose, or take it off to cough. It’s those human elements that are the problem, not the masks.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Big business, cold jab, £15 from your pharmacist, every year.

I very much doubt any government will pay for a cold vaccine for everyone. A cold isn't going to kill you. People in general would however be willing to pay not to get one

Yep but there isn’t the pressure of necessity to do it, so I think it’s interesting to see if it happens.

As has been said, it belongs in the same family of virus so you’d think it would be more than possible.

44 minutes ago, trekka said:

All the best to your family. 

Thanks, they're 50s and 60s so not the worst age range but not the best. Dad feels rough, achey and with an awful headache but the chest/cough isn't so bad. 

49 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Thanks, they're 50s and 60s so not the worst age range but not the best. Dad feels rough, achey and with an awful headache but the chest/cough isn't so bad. 

All the best mate. 

• Thanks 1

Summary
What is already known about this this topic?

Wearing face masks in public spaces reduces the spread of SARS-CoV-2.

What is added by this report?

The governor of Kansas issued an executive order requiring wearing masks in public spaces, effective July 3, 2020, which was subject to county authority to opt out. After July 3, COVID-19 incidence decreased in 24 counties with mask mandates but continued to increase in 81 counties without mask mandates.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Countywide mask mandates appear to have contributed to the mitigation of COVID-19 transmission in mandated counties. Community-level mitigation strategies emphasizing use of masks, physical distancing, staying at home when ill, and enhanced hygiene practices can help reduce the transmission of SARS-CoV-2.

Link

• Like 4

Â