Generic Virus Thread

villakram

As for the 'viruses are small enough to get through masks' argument... Unless I'm missing something, aren't the viruses contained within the droplets which aren't too small to get through masks? If people have COVID, they don't just cough out viruses.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As for the 'viruses are small enough to get through masks' argument... Unless I'm missing something, aren't the viruses contained within the droplets which aren't too small to get through masks? If people have COVID, they don't just cough out viruses.

No it's also contained in the air which passes through the mask. They might help stop droplets but it won't stop you breathing in air that someone else has exhaled. 

Surely every little bit helps? No one is suggesting that if you wear a mask you can stop bothering about all other precautions.

The Swedish CDC guys have been consistently against masks because "they give a false sense of security" Just baffling.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Surely every little bit helps? No one is suggesting that if you wear a mask you can stop bothering about all other precautions.

The Swedish CDC guys have been consistently against masks because "they give a false sense of security" Just baffling.

Yes that's the argument. That people feel like they don't have to worry so much anymore if they are 'protected' by a mask. 

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

No it's also contained in the air which passes through the mask. They might help stop droplets but it won't stop you breathing in air that someone else has exhaled. 

Yes, that's right - if your mask did not let you breathe in air, wearing a mask would kill you. So you can breathe air through a mask. N95 masks, and other more advanced types, are more effective at protecting the wearer because they do something to filter the air.

That's why people say cloth masks protect other people (because they stop droplets) but do not offer meaningful protection to the wearer.

• Haha 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

Yes that's the argument. That people feel like they don't have to worry so much anymore if they are 'protected' by a mask. 

I generally agree that people are morons, but that's still pretty insulting to assume that they would go full retard just because they were wearing a mask.

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

I assume you wear one though? 

Depends on the situation, not while walking around but I do when forced to use public transport and such. Certainly would not have an issue if they made it compulsory.

I also wash my hands, use seat belts and don't stare directly into an eclipse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sne said:

I generally agree that people are morons, but that's still pretty insulting to assume that they would go full retard just because they were wearing a mask.

My experiences in British supermarkets since masks became a requirement suggest that this is exactly what happened and people were right to be concerned about a false sense of security.

I don't mind being insulting, most of the general public are **** idiots. It's gone from the 2m rule being fairly well observed to people standing right next to each other to queue and brushing past each other in aisles again. We're basically lemmings with thumbs. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Depends on the situation, not while walking around but I do when forced to use public transport and such. Certainly would not have an issue if they made it compulsory.

I also wash my hands, use seat belts and don't stare directly into an eclipse.

I'm glad it's a personal choice here as with all the other recommendations.

I hadn't actually realised the reason Sweden cannot force people into lockdown is because the freedom to move around is enshrined in the Swedish Constitution, the government here can't exorcise that level of control over people that some other countries have and can only make recommendations. I think that is pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

My experiences in British supermarkets since masks became a requirement suggest that this is exactly what happened and people were right to be concerned about a false sense of security.

I don't mind being insulting, most of the general public are **** idiots. 

I mean if people stop washing their hands because their face is covered then there really is no hope is there :D 

That's like not brushing your teeth because you just cut your toenails. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I'm glad it's a personal choice here as with all the other recommendations.

I hadn't actually realised the reason Sweden cannot force people into lockdown is because the freedom to move around is enshrined in the Swedish Constitution, the government here can't exorcise that level of control over people that some other countries have and can only make recommendations. I think that is pretty awesome. 

Positives and negatives. It's pretty awesome until someone you love dies I guess.

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

That's true of anything though, with freedom comes responsibility. 

Absolutely, and as you say I like this about Sweden. But in some cases people actually need to be told what to do.

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't mind being insulting, most of the general public are **** idiots. It's gone from the 2m rule being fairly well observed to people standing right next to each other to queue and brushing past each other in aisles again. We're basically lemmings with thumbs. 

I was about to post something similar, but you have rather eloquently expressed my feelings. I only go to a supermarket late evening as it is much quieter then and people seem to respect my personal space. 

18 minutes ago, welnik said:

I was about to post something similar, but you have rather eloquently expressed my feelings. I only go to a supermarket late evening as it is much quieter then and people seem to respect my personal space. 

That's how I've always done it, pandemic or not. 

12 hours ago, TB said:

I think you're trying to compare apples and oranges here: if A is doubtful, then B must also clearly be wrong, which isn't necessarily the case. A case study showing that the mask wearer runs the same risk of being infected as a non-mask wearer doesn't say anything at all about the potential risk to the people around an infected individual.

It's almost like you're saying: well, if it isn't proven that wearing a mask will protect me, why should I bother wearing a mask in order to protect other people?

To avoid getting infected yourself (at least, according to the Norwegian Institute of Public Health), keeping one metre distance from other people at all times is twice as effective as wearing a face mask, even when worn correctly. Double the distance, halve the risk of getting the virus.

To avoid the risk of infecting others nearby: Wearing a mask - any mask - will stop droplets from reaching anyone in the immediate vicinity, and the quality of the mask doesn't matter that much.

I've seen more than enough people walking around coughing and sneezing these past months, thanks. To me, that's very relevant, even outdoors where droplets are the most important factor. AFAIK, aerosol transmissions are only thought to be possible when spending time indoors in the same room (especially with limited ventilation) as someone with the virus over a period of time.

I saw a clip of a study on I think the BBC simulating coughing through various masks. Basically everything except paper clothes and just cotton clothing was highly effective at blocked expelled droplets, and the N95 etc performed at the highest levels as expected.

Only the latter and similar types do much to protect the wearer, as has been said here many times, but it’s been well proven that most coverings offer good resistance against expulsion of droplets, so it absolutely makes sense to wear them to help reduce the spread. The arguments against are basically nonsensical.

• Like 2

Â