Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Oxford vaccine 70-90% effective depending on dose. 
Link

The coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford stops 70% of people developing Covid symptoms, a large-scale trial shows. 

It will be seen as both a triumph and a disappointment after vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna showed 95% protection.

However, the Oxford jab is far cheaper, and is easier to store and get to every corner of the world than the other two. 

So it will still play a significant role in tackling the pandemic, if it is approved by regulators. 

There is also intriguing data that suggests perfecting the dose could increase protection up to 90%.

The UK government has pre-ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine, enough to immunise 50 million people. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "Incredibly exciting news the Oxford vaccine has proved so effective in trials. 

"There are still further safety checks ahead, but these are fantastic results."

The Oxford researchers have developed the vaccine in around 10 months, a process that normally takes a decade.

"The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by [the virus]," said the vaccine's architect Prof Sarah Gilbert.

What did the trial show?

More than 20,000 volunteers were involved, half in the UK, the rest in Brazil. 

There were 30 cases of Covid in people who had two doses of the vaccine and 101 cases in people who received a dummy injection.

The researchers said it works out at 70% protection.

When volunteers were given two "high" doses the protection was 62%, but this rose to 90% when people were given a "low" dose followed by a high one. It's not clear why there is a difference. 

"We're really pleased with these results," Prof Andrew Pollard, the trial's lead investigator, told the BBC.

He said the 90% effectiveness data was "intriguing" and would mean "we would have a lot more doses to distribute."

There were also lower levels of asymptomatic infection in the low followed by high dose group which "means we might be able to halt the virus in its tracks," Prof Pollard said.

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Oxford vaccine really is the end of this thing - amazing news. Get your summer hols booked before the rush...

Next summer will be crazy with a lot of things but I think there will be a huge economic boost from all of the people out doing stuff.

Once the most vulnerable get vaccinated, hopefully in a couple of months' time, can life largely go back to normal even before the whole nation has their jab or do we need to wait?  If the risk of serious illness and death to the remainder of the population is negligible does it matter if it spreads like other milder ones?  It's a genuine question, I'm not trying to downplay Covid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Once the most vulnerable get vaccinated, hopefully in a couple of months' time, can life largely go back to normal even before the whole nation has their jab or do we need to wait?  If the risk of serious illness and death to the remainder of the population is negligible does it matter if it spreads like other milder ones?  It's a genuine question, I'm not trying to downplay Covid.

I think that’s fair. I think once the majority of the demographic that are filling up the hospitals are vaccinated then we can start getting back to old normal life. 
It would be interesting to know how many people are in that group.

Elderly (what classes as elderly in this case?)

Underlying health conditions.

Obese

NHS and care home staff.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It will be possible for many things to return to something much more like normality once the vaccine is distributed to those in most danger from it. That may still be a few months, but things are moving fast. I also think people are underestimating the momentum towards re-opening/returning to normality that will rapidly build up and will be politically very hard to stop IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I also think people are underestimating the momentum towards re-opening/returning to normality that will rapidly build up and will be politically very hard to stop IMO.

Exactly this

22 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Once the most vulnerable get vaccinated, hopefully in a couple of months' time, can life largely go back to normal even before the whole nation has their jab or do we need to wait?

I think it depends what one means by 'largely back to normal'.

I'm not sure that some of the measures introduced will be dropped that quickly (even allowing for the likely clamour that @HanoiVillansuggests) or even at all.

Even if the vaccines have all of their desired effects and work brilliantly, I don't think that you'll see the pre-covid world completely return.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Talk of 1m vaccinations a day. We know how good Hancock is at estimated daily capacity for this kind of stuff :lol: 

This is ludicrous. Even if the vaccinations were available at that level of supply (seriously doubt this), that means the entire population being vaccinated in ten days, can you imagine the logistics behind that kind of operation. It's not just a case of sticking a needle in someone. It needs to be recorded and that normally means two people per patient, then those results will need to be fed into computers (anyone with knowledge of NHS systems will understand this isn't as easy as it sounds), GP's surgeries informed etc etc.

Why do they set themselves up for the fall? It's like it's inbuilt to make impossible promises

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

This is ludicrous. Even if the vaccinations were available at that level of supply (seriously doubt this), that means the entire population being vaccinated in ten days, can you imagine the logistics behind that kind of operation. It's not just a case of sticking a needle in someone. It needs to be recorded and that normally means two people per patient, then those results will need to be fed into computers (anyone with knowledge of NHS systems will understand this isn't as easy as it sounds), GP's surgeries informed etc etc.

Why do they set themselves up for the fall? It's like it's inbuilt to make impossible promises

We have 66m ish people don’t we? And we need 2 jabs most likely. It’s going to be best part of a couple of months even at Hancock’s unrealistic numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

We have 66m ish people don’t we? And we need 2 jabs most likely. It’s going to be best part of a couple of months even at Hancock’s unrealistic numbers.

Yes, sorry my brain fart on the figures, I meant weeks not days. The rest of what I said was true though. I also forgot about the 2 doses thing.

Flu jab season starts in August/Sep and run through Oct/Nov... with pretty much everyone who wants/needs one having gotten it by then (over here it's week-2 Sep and almost done by week-3 Oct). The Flu jab currently is given to all old people/hospital workers/teachers and an increasing fraction of kids/parents.

The AZ jab can ride that exact same logistics pipeline given its ease of transport and only requiring simple refrigeration enabling pharmacies and mobile clinics to contribute. The double shot will be tricky, but certainly tractable and one could envision getting the prime over 65s and immuno-suppressed people done over a 3-5month timeline.

The mRNA vaccines have much more difficult logistical challenges (storage at -80C and -20C). That's before we even contemplate efficacy/safety.

Â