Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Hope so mate.

I think you missed the point of my post, Dem. :D

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The biggest obstacle will be enforcing people...to take the  vaccine.

Let's hope no one (with anything close to any power with regard to the situation) suggests a program of forced vaccination.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I think you missed the point of my post, Dem. :D

Let's hope no one (with anything close to any power with regard to the situation) suggests a program of forced vaccination.

Fingers crossed. If it is treated like the flu vaccine, there will be little issue getting those who need it to take it. There are plenty of vulnerable people. 

The idiocy of those suggesting forced vaccination is mind-boggling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snowychap said:

I think it depends what one means by 'largely back to normal'.

I'm not sure that some of the measures introduced will be dropped that quickly (even allowing for the likely clamour that @HanoiVillansuggests) or even at all.

Even if the vaccines have all of their desired effects and work brilliantly, I don't think that you'll see the pre-covid world completely return.

I am hoping the not being able to see my brother in law socially is extended indefinitely just to be on the safe side  

• Haha 4

Man fined for breaking French Covid lockdown to 'smash a guy's face in'

French police have fined a man who left his home with a written lockdown declaration stating he was out to “smash a guy’s face in”.

The man, who has not been named, had reportedly correctly filled in the legally required declaration, known as an “attestation”, with his name, address and time he left his home in Lannion, Brittany.

However, officers found that instead of ticking one of the boxes stating a legitimate reason to go outside during France’s national lockdown – these include going shopping, visiting the doctor, travelling to work or exercising for up to one hour at a maximum distance of 1km – the man had written “aller péter la gueule à un mec”, an activity not covered by the form.

Daniel Kerdraon, the local police chief, said his officers had discovered the 39-year-old lurking behind a car late on Friday evening.

“When asked what he was doing he explained that he was waiting for someone to ‘smash their face in’ … he had the written form with his real name and the time he had left home – 10.15pm – but we told him his reason for going out was not valid. He was trying to fulfil the letter of the law, in his own way,” Kerdraon told local newspapers.

....more

:D

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Talk of 1m vaccinations a day. We know how good Hancock is at estimated daily capacity for this kind of stuff :lol: 

About 20,000 a day then in real terms! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I am hoping the not being able to see my brother in law socially is extended indefinitely just to be on the safe side  

If feel exactly the same way towards the sister-in-law, best not meet up, just to be on the safe side

• Haha 1

Boris: 3 separate family bubbles will be able to meet over Christmas.

People on the news: Our 4 families always meet Christmas and now with these rules it means one family has to miss out which is really upsetting.

:rant:

You know if it was 5 families they’d find someone pissed off about their usual 6 family gathering being disrupted.

• Like 3

Once again, I implore people to treat government rules as no more than advice on how they'd like the population to behave for their own selfish reasons, and not as the best cause of action for individuals. 

Covid isn't taking a week off for Christmas. 

• Like 3

"Squeeze the disease" 🤮

Honestly, with the billions these chancers are pissing away, maybe they could spend £50 on a decent microphone. He's the prime minister making a national address for **** sake, and he sounds like one of my colleagues dialling in from Bangalore. 

The Moonshot lolly for the chums case is hitting the courts and even the Daily Heil are tutting at Bojo's Corruption Circus.

The vaccination program is looking less KPMG than previous govt Covid projects, as it stands.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

If feel exactly the same way towards the sister-in-law, best not meet up, just to be on the safe side

Sometimes you just have to take one for the team and the better good

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Once again, I implore people to treat government rules as no more than advice on how they'd like the population to behave for their own selfish reasons, and not as the best cause of action for individuals. 

Covid isn't taking a week off for Christmas. 

It staggers me that in the midst of all this people are still obsessing about having the usual large Christmas gatherings.  WHY? Just have 1 year off for gods sake.

My kids school have had at least 2 warnings every week, sometimes 3 or 4 cases.  My daughter is currently isolating because of coming into contact with one of them.   Lord only knows how many of them (being so young) actually have it with no symptoms so haven't been picked up. 

No way am I risking infecting and potentially killing a loved one for the sake of a roast turkey and a couple of whiskeys. 

It would be like ordering soldiers to attack a machine gun nest on the last day of the war. 

Edited by sidcow

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Once the most vulnerable get vaccinated, hopefully in a couple of months' time, can life largely go back to normal even before the whole nation has their jab or do we need to wait?  If the risk of serious illness and death to the remainder of the population is negligible does it matter if it spreads like other milder ones?  It's a genuine question, I'm not trying to downplay Covid.

I suspect the tiers will remain for some time yet but the level will probably be depend on how many people are in hospital with it.  The main reason for all the lockdowns was to stop hospitals being overwhelmed. 

Now, importantly with the Oxford vaccine they have said that even when people actually caught it none of them got really poorly.  So even if 30% of people do get it, if very few get really poorly there is no need to lockdown much is there? 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

We have 66m ish people don’t we? And we need 2 jabs most likely. It’s going to be best part of a couple of months even at Hancock’s unrealistic numbers.

The way I had my flu jab was very different his year. 

It was a walk in, give your name, get injected, walk away through a different door affair.  I have to say I was really impressed with how quick and smooth it was. 

I was from the in door to to exit door in about 3 minutes. It was a team of 2, one person with the laptop to ask who I was and record it, and one person to jab me. 

That team of 2 could have done probably 20 people an hour.  So 140 in a standard working day, 980 per 7 day week.  Let's say 1000 per week from one team. 

Apparently the average doctor currently has 2,000 registered patients so technically the average doctor with a 2 man team could see all of their patients injected in 2 weeks. 

OK maybe I am being optimistic with my 3 minutes.  Even if you doubled that to 6 minutes that's all patients in a month. 

In addition they are talking about setting up loads of temporary vaccination centres.  You could have 10 or 15 lines operating in various locations around each doctors surgery. 

I think the administration of it is easily possible.  I think the main constraint will be how quickly it can be manufactured and distributed. 

I think they have a million or so already made and ready to go so they can get a start and see how quickly the manufacturer can keep up. 

Â