Generic Virus Thread

villakram

The cheek of Boris

'while the vast majority have complied with the rules there have been too many breaches – too many opportunities for our invisible enemy to slip through undetected.'

yeah, Cummings and Jenrick to start with

'And to those who say we don’t need this stuff, and we should leave people to take their own risks, I say these risks are not our own'

A couple of months ago it was 'back to work, back to school, its up to the British people to use common sense and it will be fine'

Just had an email from work saying to carry on as normal (2 days a week in the office), even though they were shit hot on ensuring we were working from home for the past 6 months as we’d always be following government guidelines. Bit confusing!

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pick me up a couple of 15 packs of cushelle  will ya

Couple more packs for every villatalk member and that’s me on early retirement.

I know that my main customer, similar in sound to Tesco but starts with a C, has implemented purchase restrictions already.

2 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Couple more packs for every villatalk member and that’s me on early retirement.

I know that my main customer, similar in sound to Tesco but starts with a C, has implemented purchase restrictions already.

My OH’s boss has a relative who works there and messaged earlier to say people were queuing to get in and buy up all the bog roll 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

My OH’s boss has a relative who works there and messaged earlier to say people were queuing to get in and buy up all the bog roll 🤦‍♂️

They are not wrong, it’s just like March all over again.  They were also about 2 weeks ahead of the stock piling shit storm then.

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Regarding the question on how Italy and Germany have recovered better than us? Surely population density has to be a factor? Not the only factor, but a contributing one as it enables the virus to potentially spread more 

Germany - 232 people per square km. Italy is 200, France is 118, Spain is 92 and England (the worst impacted of the home nations) is 434. 

Of the more populated counties in Europe, only the Netherlands has a higher number, with Belgium slightly behind England. 

But counterintuitively, Spain is in effect the most densely-crowded country in western Europe. This is because lots of Spain is taken up by land in which nobody lives - their cities are the most densely packed in western Europe. By contrast, England has very few square kilometres with no residents, but London is far less dense than Barcelona or Paris.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Not sure if it’s recent but just seen a picture on Facebook of a supermarket shelf cleared of pasta. 

My parents were in Morrison's yesterday and said there was very little pasta and bog roll again.

We've tried to book a Click and Collect tonight.  Local Asda is booked out, but we managed to get a Sainsburys slot on Thursday.  No deliveries at all.

That'll be the Blitz Spirit again!  Good old Britain!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

My parents were in Morrison's yesterday and said there was very little pasta and bog roll again.

We've tried to book a Click and Collect tonight.  Local Asda is booked out, but we managed to get a Sainsburys slot on Thursday.  No deliveries at all.

That'll be the Blitz Spirit again!  Good old Britain!

We did shopping on Monday evening so we’re set for a little while. Hopefully things settle before we need to go out again. 

Yes, it’ll probably be 10x worse.

I despise the Daily Mail, they should look up the meaning of Draconian. They obviously heard someone use a big word and thought lets put that on the front page coz it sounds a bit clever, this will scare the people into buying this rag.

spacer.png

IMO, Boris Trump hasn't been tough enough.

Edited by bielesibub

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The missus works at Tesco and she said it was ridiculously busy today. 

I don't know if it's anything to do with panic buying, but I popped to Sainsburys on Saturday and it was rammed. They've obviously stopped bothering monitoring how many people are in the store now that face coverings are mandatory. I've been saving any supermarket trips for the late evening since the pandemic so there's as few people there as possible and I don't have to queue outside. But didn't have a choice on the weekend.

I won't be going at that time again if I can help it. It made me uncomfortable

47 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

IMO, Boris Trump hasn't been tough enough.

He's been a completely ineffective middle ground.

He (or whoever makes decisions) has tried to strike a balance between keeping the economy going and being safe. Not locked down too soon and being half arsed when we have. Presumably they've hoped to keep the effects of the pandemic fairly low (but not as low as it could be) whilst still trying to keep the country going.

All he's achieved is not being tough enough on the pandemic so it's effects are worse and longer lasting which means everything has to stay restricted for longer. It's a total **** up.

I still maintain if we'd locked down a couple of weeks earlier and done it strictly we'd be far closer to being back to normal by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

they should look up the meaning of Draconian

I don't think they're far wrong with regards to some of the measures.

The power of arrest (and threat of £1k+ fines)* for people not keeping an arbitrary distance from one another in a pub, for example?

Pretty draconian - and I'm not talking in the literal sense as would have been established under Draco (no, we're not yet putting people to death for it) but in terms of the generally understood notion of steep and harsh penalties for new, restrictive prohibitions on people's everyday activity.

The self-isolation rules and penalties, assuming again that the actual legislation mirrors the guidance as they have claimed that they intend to, is also pretty much house arrest.

*Obviously, we'll have to see the actual text of the 'emergency' legislation first - I guess it'll come out about half an hour before it's due to come in to force.

Edited by snowychap

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

The power of arrest (and threat of £1k+ fines)* for people not keeping an arbitrary distance from one another in a pub, for example?

Pretty draconian - and I'm not talking in the literal sense as would have been established under Draco (no, we're not yet putting people to death for it) but in terms of the generally understood notion of steep and harsh penalties for new, restrictive prohibitions on people's everyday activity.

The self-isolation rules and penalties, assuming again that the actual legislation mirrors the guidance as they have claimed that they intend to, is also pretty much house arrest.

*Obviously, we'll have to see the actual text of the 'emergency' legislation first.

Draconian - Excessively harsh and severe.

Shutting pubs at 10? Not harsh or severe.

Attempting to keep people safe by using fines on rule breakers - Not harsh or severe, these people have an alternative, they can stick to the rules. 

More must wear face masks - well if it helps save one life, it'll all be worth it.

Maybe, the word Utilitarian should have been used instead?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Draconian - Excessively harsh and severe.

Don't just quote a one line dictionary definition of a word thinking this is an answer without understanding its regular use and the context in which it has been and is being used.

Shutting pubs at 10? Not harsh or severe.

Attempting to keep people safe by using fines on rule breakers - Not harsh or severe, these people have an alternative, they can stick to the rules. 

More must wear face masks - well if it helps save one life, it'll all be worth it.

Did you miss the actual content of my post? In case you did, I'll remind you of my opening line:

23 minutes ago, snowychap said:

After which, I go on to give a couple of examples of measures which appear to be pretty draconian.

Remarkably enough, I didn't refer to some of the headline things that The Mail may have put up there or those things that you have listed because I said that 'I don't think they're far wrong with regards to some of the measures'.

Beyond measures such as closing pubs early, there are measures such as the ones which I spoke about (and there are more) when I said some of those measures.

if it helps save one life, it'll all be worth it

On a wider note, your response reminds me just how easily a country is able to descend in to petty authoritarianism - often under claims of 'utilitarianism' yet often utterly failing to understand utilitarianism at all or to see one policy aspect and its outcomes in any more than a single dimension.

It's really disturbing and a sign that there's much more to come and that it'll often receive populist support.

Edited by snowychap

Â