Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I haven’t been to a gig, a pub, or a club in 6 months.

But referring to them as secret speakeasies, that could tempt me.

I’ve already got the secret knock to get records out of my supplier’s closed door. Imagine if that secret knock got me inside for a listening party and a glass of brandy!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I haven’t been to a gig, a pub, or a club in 6 months.

But referring to them as secret speakeasies, that could tempt me.

I’ve already got the secret knock to get records out of my supplier’s closed door. Imagine if that secret knock got me inside for a listening party and a glass of brandy!

Haven't been clubbing in ages, and now I'm absolutely desperate to go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Haven't been clubbing in ages, and now I'm absolutely desperate to go.

13th March, in store album launch.

Already knew everything was turning bad, so we were determined to enjoy it. 

ETDoXkWXsAAcg0K?format=jpg&name=medium

Imagine being an artist that has self funded a record, invested all that time, with a tour planned through March and April to sell that record from a travel case as you go around promoting it. 

20% top up from the Chancellor doesn’t even touch that, it doesn’t recognise how life in the arts works.

Bring back the socially distanced responsible speakeasy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I had over 20 gigs booked this year, it was going to be my best year for seeing artists I'd never seen live before. I can't imagine I'll be seeing another within a year. I'm hoping most of them are taking the opportunity to write new material while they can't tour.

Some of these acts have rescheduled again to April/May next year. I think they're kidding themselves. I imagine the musicians will be fine for the most part (obviously not all of them, as Chris mentions above), it's the support staff I feel sorry for. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I imagine the musicians will be fine for the most part (obviously not all of them, as Chris mentions above), it's the support staff I feel sorry for. 

I'm not sure why you imagine the musicians will be fine, they don't exactly make pots of cash apart from the odd few at the top. You are absolutely correct about the support staff but it pretty much applies to the musicians too. Even at the grassroots level it is touring and gigging that makes the money (and associated Merch sales) in the main, not sales of physical copies of their material and certainly not streaming.

Streaming changed the Industry model completely and turned it on its head, it used to be the other way around.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Streaming changed the Industry model completely and turned it on its head, it used to be the other way around.

You used to tour to support the album you'd released,  now you release an album so you have something to tour with.

• Like 2

UK scientists begin study of how long Covid can survive in the air

It is the question scientists around the world are trying to answer: how long can the coronavirus survive in the tiny aerosol particles we exhale? In a high-security lab near Bristol, entered through a series of airlock doors, scientists may be weeks from finding out.

On Monday, they will start launching tiny droplets of live Sars-CoV-2 and levitating them between two electric rings to test how long the airborne virus remains infectious under different environmental conditions.

Until now, it has been expected that Covid-19 is predominantly transmitted in respiratory droplets, produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, sings, talks or breathes. These rapidly fall to the ground, providing the logic behind the 2-metre rule.

Yet among experts, there is a growing consensus that the virus may linger in smaller droplets called aerosols, which may be carried over greater distances in air currents and accumulate in poorly ventilated spaces. This suspicion is largely based on outbreaks in restaurants and choirs, where people have contracted the virus despite being some distance from the infected person.

...more

Â