Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

What do you do if you don’t mind my asking?

Been trying to piece it together but still not sure.

Ah f*** that's a real question and a half. I do lots of things under the one umbrella job title of Data Controller for a very large Private Hire Taxi Company

Normally, I deal with

• Modifications to our dispatch system
  • Updating our Street Directory and now this goes hand in hand with trying to improve our Voice Recognition booking system, which is new since lockdown but would naturally have fallen to me anyway
  • Handling Data Subject Requests from Police / Local Licensing Authorities (we get lots)
  • Data Protection
  • There's also a number of other occasional minor tasks I get lumbered with from time to time that aren't worth mentioning
  • I'm also considered a bit of an "ideas man" for want of a better way of putting it, a considerable number of our Company Policies were drawn up by me or were heavily influenced by my input, which sounds a bit arrogant but isn't. If another department is having issues over something, they or the board of directors will ask me to go in and suggest changes / improvements etc

But as we're also running on a much reduced staff at presnt I'm also doing,,,

• Building our phones / tablets for the drivers to use in car, so they have the correct apps / software versions and then entering them into our managed environment
  • New driver inductions (which I literally wrote the company manual on) but haven't done since taking this current role as there's no-one else that can do some of it

Oh and... whatever else they chuck at me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

It's ok @bickster, it was just a casual question on a forum, he's not trying to identify candidates for redundancy. :D 

HAHA but its such an odd job you have to explain it like that. Guaranteed, I'm the only person in the UK that does all that as one job :D

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

You might be shocked by how good compulsory table service is.

That may well be the case for somewhere inside, with an app, QR code and all that jazz.

As I said, the one place (of two that I'd go to) near me (owned and operated by the same chap) is apparently not great with the table service and The Swan would likely be worse as it's quite a distance from the pub to the other end of the outside seating area.

I'm not interested in going inside a pub, not interested in downloading an app, using my mobile to order and pay for drinks, &c.

It may well suit some places and it may well suit some people but it counts me out of going to a pub for however long this new crap lasts. Given that Johnson said possibly six months then that will either be 6 days or never.

Edited by snowychap

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

I guess if your issue is a privacy / data issue then that's different

Privacy and data is very much a concern.

But convenience, timings, &c. are also an issue.

I wasn't going to bother with the pub at all until trying The Swan out and finding that it was actually quite a normal experience.

Now it won't be. Not too bothered about going to the pub if it's not a relatively normal experience.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah f*** that's a real question and a half. I do lots of things under the one umbrella job title of Data Controller for a very large Private Hire Taxi Company

Normally, I deal with

• Modifications to our dispatch system
  • Updating our Street Directory and now this goes hand in hand with trying to improve our Voice Recognition booking system, which is new since lockdown but would naturally have fallen to me anyway
  • Handling Data Subject Requests from Police / Local Licensing Authorities (we get lots)
  • Data Protection
  • There's also a number of other occasional minor tasks I get lumbered with from time to time that aren't worth mentioning
  • I'm also considered a bit of an "ideas man" for want of a better way of putting it, a considerable number of our Company Policies were drawn up by me or were heavily influenced by my input, which sounds a bit arrogant but isn't. If another department is having issues over something, they or the board of directors will ask me to go in and suggest changes / improvements etc

But as we're also running on a much reduced staff at presnt I'm also doing,,,

• Building our phones / tablets for the drivers to use in car, so they have the correct apps / software versions and then entering them into our managed environment
  • New driver inductions (which I literally wrote the company manual on) but haven't done since taking this current role as there's no-one else that can do some of it

Oh and... whatever else they chuck at me

Thanks! You sound a busy man and on top of that you keep us lot in order too ;)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

Regarding the question on how Italy and Germany have recovered better than us? Surely population density has to be a factor? Not the only factor, but a contributing one as it enables the virus to potentially spread more 

Germany - 232 people per square km. Italy is 200, France is 118, Spain is 92 and England (the worst impacted of the home nations) is 434. 

Of the more populated counties in Europe, only the Netherlands has a higher number, with Belgium slightly behind England. 

Yes probably the main reason  India have had it so bad. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not sure if it’s recent but just seen a picture on Facebook of a supermarket shelf cleared of pasta. 

Ah bugger I'll have to make room in the shed between all the bog rolls from last time.... and I hate pasta

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not sure if it’s recent but just seen a picture on Facebook of a supermarket shelf cleared of pasta. 

I think there is a lot of 'fake news' tweets going on... pictures from March being re-posted as their 'local Tesco' by attention seekers and retweet junkies. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Works video conf late today and all the chat was that there’s no bog rolls again. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think there is a lot of 'fake news' tweets going on... pictures from March being re-posted as their 'local Tesco' by attention seekers and retweet junkies. 

Hopefully. I’d be surprised if the dick heads stockpiling for no reason hadn’t learned the lesson.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hopefully. I’d be surprised if the dick heads stockpiling for no reason hadn’t learned the lesson.

I've got no zoom meetings in my diary for tomorrow so i'm planning on a supermarket visit mid Morning. I'll report back my findings! 

I'm hoping the supermarkets will be limiting people again if there is a rush on certain products. They left it far too long last time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've got no zoom meetings in my diary for tomorrow so i'm planning on a supermarket visit mid Morning. I'll report back my findings! 

I'm hoping the supermarkets will be limiting people again if there is a rush on certain products. They left it far too long last time. 

Pick me up a couple of 15 packs of cushelle  will ya

Â