Generic Virus Thread

villakram

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Are we missing the bigger picture of how many have a serious issue with booze?

Seriously, if you can’t lay off getting pissed during a pandemic and economic collapse, perhaps covid isn’t your biggest problem.

I'm not sure that is the bigger picture in this particular conversation. 

I'd argue that anyone who is relying on the pubs being open to get hammered, probably doesn't actually have that serious an issue. 

There will undoubtedly be countless thousands of people who emerge from this with more of a problem with alcohol then when they went in. But they are less likely to be the people nervously checking pub opening times, they're more likely going to be the ones on the beer all day at home.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure if popping down the local for one is happening a lot right now

It is and I'd just begun to do that more regularly in order to meet my brother for one or two early evening once a week.

The compulsory table service has put an end to that for me, though, as I don't want to be sitting inside and it'll take a pissing age to get served on a table outside.

Edited by snowychap

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It is and I'd just begun to do that more regularly in order to meet my brother for one or two early evening once a week.

The compulsory table service has put an end to that for me, though, as I don't want to be sitting inside and it'll take a pissing age to get served on a table outside.

Funnily enough table service got much quicker over here. Although they did away with half the outside tables and spread them 1.5 metres apart. 

How bad is it in the UK?

Just now, AVFC_Hitz said:

Funnily enough table service got much quicker over here. Although they did away with half the outside tables and spread them 1.5 metres apart. 

How bad is it in the UK?

I don't know overall. In some pllaces, I imagine it's very good but of the two local pubs to which I'd go, my regular before this thing has been table only service and, though I haven't been, I've heard it's not that efficient and the other place was excellent in that it was a spaced queue to the bar, one person at the bar and picnic tablles spaced at three or four metres plus away from each other. Unless they're going to employ half a dozen waiting staff at 6pm (which they aren't) then it'd be a bugger.

Just not willing to even try it out.

20 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What? He didn't announce that earlier, did he?

Edit: I think that's Scotland, no?

Yeah, I misread the headline, the weekend is saved :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

Hmm.

I've had two 'invitations' by post to partake in the random Imperial College/Ipsos Mori test things (which I'm not going to do). I don't mind that so much as my address and details are a matter of public record via the electoral roll (though these will have been accessed through the NHS/GPs).

I've just also had a text message with a further invitation and encouragement. I'm not so happy about my GP surgery handing over my 'phone details, too. It suggests that they've probably just handed over everything that they have on patients selected at random. Not a good thing.

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I've just also had a text message with a further invitation and encouragement. I'm not so happy about my GP surgery handing over my 'phone details, too. It suggests that they've probably just handed over everything that they have on patients selected at random. Not a good thing.

Unless you've given explicit permission, surely that would be a pretty serious breach of GDPR regulations?

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Unless you've given explicit permission, surely that would be a pretty serious breach of GDPR regulations?

NHS data sharing requires opting out, not in.

https://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/our-work/keeping-patient-data-safe/how-we-look-after-your-health-and-care-information/your-information-choices/opting-out-of-sharing-your-confidential-patient-information

• Thanks 2

Â