Generic Virus Thread

villakram

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What papers are these? I'll have a read through.

I think there's a good chance it'll benefit from the same kind of seasonal conditions that lead to the flu spreading in Winter. Influenza doesn't thrive in winter because it's cold. It likely does so because we cram ourselves indoors, and the air is less humid which allows the virus to hang in the air for longer. Both factors that could benefit Covid too. 

I'll get back to you tonight, as I'm a little preoccupied for that right now but in conclusion most of them were saying that humidity and temperature have no noticeable effect on the spread of this particular Coronavirus. The reason people are saying that "we don't really know yet" is because these papers are yet to be peer reviewed. Influenza thrives in cold dry conditions - now that is a peer reviewed known scientific fact . Indoors in winter is too warm

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

I posted an article just after that post which explained the issue with the process at the moment. 

Gotcha, thanks. Trouble is... we're six months in and don't have TESTING CAPACITY...

Thats some absolute whoppers that have been told in the last 6 months. Trouble is, you don't know which one is the truth any more

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Gotcha, thanks. Trouble is... we're six months in and don't have TESTING CAPACITY...

Thats some absolute whoppers that have been told in the last 6 months. Trouble is, you don't know which one is the truth any more

That’s true. It’s not sure which lie is closest to the truth. Are they holding back tests to try and smooth out this spike we seem to be having? I don’t trust anything they say. 

Caught the train through Clapham Junction.

Train and platform were spaced ok, just.

Wouldn't want to have left it any later. Will avoid travelling after 3pm.

Think it likely Winter transport cock ups will be the danger here.

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Does anyone know the truth any more? 

I doubt the government know the truth, they just run with whatever Dominic thinks will be received well on Twitter and don’t bother themselves with such annoying things as facts.

We’re in a shared office complex with what we thought was massive over provision of car parking spaces.

I’d say the offices were about 33% occupied today. The car park was pretty much full.

...and so begins the rat race of turning up at work earlier and earlier to park the car.

For @Davkaus

...weather alone (i.e., increase of temperature and humidity as spring and summer months arrivein the North Hemisphere) will not necessarily lead to declines in case counts without the im-plementation of extensive public health interventions. Further studies on the effects of absolute humidity and temperature on COVID-19 transmission are needed.

The role of absolute humidity on transmission rates of the COVID-19 outbreak

In summary, our study does not support the hypothesis that high temperature and UV radiation can reduce the transmission of COVID-19. It might be premature to count on warmer weather to control COVID-19.

No association of COVID-19 transmissionwith temperature or UV radiation inChinese cities

There were a number of others that I can't find right now

Apologies the one that disagrees that I've found is copied and pasted in a new form of Demglish

The study concludes that tem perature h as s i gni fi cant imp act on the transmis sion of COVID -19. T here mig ht be nonli near dose-re sp onse rel ati onship bet ween the two, indi cat ing that there is a bes t temperatur e contributi ng to its tran sm i ssi o n and th at l ow tem per ature i s ben efici al to th e v iral transm issi on. T he em erg ence of the o utbreak in Wuh an and its neig hboring areas m ay b e clo sel y rel ated to the local tem peratur e. For countries and regi ons wi th a l ower tempe ratur e, strict prevention and control measur es shou ld be continued to prevent future reversal of th e e pidemi c.

Temperature Significantly Changes COVID-19 Transmission in  429 cities

• Haha 1

Does that mean pubs gonna close?

If not then what’s the point?

Sorry guys, can’t have that bbq at mine cos of the new rules. Let’s all go to the pub instead.

Are we all still rushing back into the crowded inner city offices on the crowded trains?

Edited by Genie

The development of a promising Covid-19 vaccine has been put on hold due to an adverse reaction in a trial participant.

A spokesman for AstraZeneca, the company working with a team from Oxford University, told the Guardian the trial has been stopped to review the “potentially unexplained illness” in one of the participants.

The vaccine, which had been expected to be publicly available as early as January 20201, is one of two projects the Australian government plans to spend AI$1.7bn on as part of a deal to ensure free vaccines for all citizens.

So the vaccine was expected in January 20201? I'm surprised when it is 18 thousand years off that they bothered to try and be precise with the month.

The Grauniad

The government admits it's fine with breaking the law, then on the same day criminalises you meeting more than 5 mates unless you're doing it in an economically advantageous place.

That's a law I can see being broken in very specific ways.

• Like 2

Â