Generic Virus Thread

villakram

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The covid 19 booking system sucks !!!!

20200905_203313.jpg

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it just gives you the nearest one to you with free appointments doesn't it?

My mom has been trying to book one the past couple of days and it kept sending her to Sandwell. She tried again today and got one at the airport very near her house) but it had never come up before.

Although she said there was NOBODY there. So **** knows.

I went drinking with a guy who works at the Sandwell one last night. He said that while in theory you need to book, in practice you can turn up and say you haven't got your confirmation with you and they'll give you the test anyway.

Edited by HanoiVillan

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I went drinking with a guy who works at the Sandwell one last night. Quite eye-opening - the site is only open from 10:30 to 3:30, but everyone is paid from 7:30 to 6:30. He also said that while in theory you need to book, in practice you can turn up and say you haven't got your confirmation with you and they'll give you the test anyway.

It may have changed since my experience at one, but when I went your booking reference is written on the envelope with your swab which you return to them, and that is how they know whose test is whose. And how they contact you with the result. 

So if you haven't booked, you won't be in the database to receive the result of the test. There would just be a random test floating around with no identifier.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

It may have changed since my experience at one, but when I went your booking reference is written on the envelope with your swab which you return to them, and that is how they know whose test is whose. And how they contact you with the result. 

So if you haven't booked, you won't be in the database to receive the result of the test. There would just be a random test floating around with no identifier.

🤷‍♂️ Dunno, just reporting what I was told.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Yeah i think this is accurate. The results wont be emailed anywhere so i do t think it would work sadly

2 hours ago, Genie said:

8 deaths I think (possibly a few missing due to the weekend).

If cases keep going up then it’s inevitable that deaths will sharply rise too though.

Its the young that have been catching it so their risk of dying is very low but the danger is the more these numbers go up the more likely they will spread it to the old and vunerable. Older people are generally taking it a lot more seriously from what i have seen. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But aren’t the number of tests increasing too? Hence the higher numbers. 

The number of tests aren’t rising as fast as the number of positives is rising.

So the number of positives cannot be dismissed as being due to more tests. It’s a higher % of positives.

• Like 1

The NHS are better at treating Covid19 now too, which also helps keep the death rate down. There really are some smart people out there getting on with the work and really helping improve things.

Shame none of them are in government.

• Like 2

My significant other works for a local authority in the Bham area. 

6 schools and a nursery have called in so far today with suspected cases, one secondary school has been closed down with immediate effect. 

Buckle up. 

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

6 schools and a nursery have called in so far today with suspected cases, one secondary school has been closed down with immediate effect. 

Buckle up. 

We'll be seeing a lot of this nationally.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-09-07/suffolk-school-to-close-after-five-staff-members-test-positive-for-covid-19

Samuel Ward Academy, in Haverhill in Suffolk, has been forced to close after it was confirmed that five members of teaching staff had tested positive for coronavirus.

A further two staff are also waiting for the results of a test.

"School's are perfectly safe, to demonstrate that, I'll stand in an empty classroom"

1008borisjohnsonstjosephsschool-2.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Buckle up. 

I saw on Facebook an after school club (linked to a primary school) near me closed today due to confirmed cases within the staff.

• Like 1

Boris really went in on Starmer last week saying that schools are perfectly safe and KS was wrong to be cautious about reopening them. At that point most schools in England had only been open 1 or 2 days.

I completely understand the pressure to get kids back for a variety of reasons, I don’t understand why Boris would insist on them being safe because he said they’re safe. He’s an absolute moron.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hancock reckons vaccines will be ready to roll out end of year/january time.

I thought they would be ready in September (now) if they got positive results. 
Is it the testing that’s late or the stockpile?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hancock reckons vaccines will be ready to roll out end of year/january time.

If he's right, and he's not, because he's Matt Hancock, your experience of trying to get a test should be a useful indicator of how easily you'll be able to get vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought they would be ready in September (now) if they got positive results. 
Is it the testing that’s late or the stockpile?

Although i dont trust hancock, i would with little hope i have reason they havent is due to the safety testing. But its probably because they have made a mess of it like the whole booking process on top of other things.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I look forward to January when there is no further mention of this and we're all told he never said that

Yeah lets ensure we bump up this page when that time comes as i expect that js exactly what will happen.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If he's right, and he's not, because he's Matt Hancock, your experience of trying to get a test should be a useful indicator of how easily you'll be able to get vaccinated.

Very true. You would hope though your gp surgery or walk in centres would help facilitate this. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We'll be seeing a lot of this nationally.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-09-07/suffolk-school-to-close-after-five-staff-members-test-positive-for-covid-19

Samuel Ward Academy, in Haverhill in Suffolk, has been forced to close after it was confirmed that five members of teaching staff had tested positive for coronavirus.

A further two staff are also waiting for the results of a test.

"School's are perfectly safe, to demonstrate that, I'll stand in an empty classroom"

1008borisjohnsonstjosephsschool-2.jpg

He's the Prime Minister, how hard can it possibly be for him to get a suit that fits?

Â