Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Have a look at the video I posted above. You have to wonder if the government are just making responses up as they go along. 

Of course they are. To be banning social gatherings outdoors, honestly, it's completely absurd. It was defensible to think that outdoor transmission might be a big risk back in March or April, but after an entire summer of beach panics and political protests leading to no mass outbreaks, it's completely indefensible now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I very much doubt a single one of these will hit the streets unless they are re-branded PCSOs

Perhaps, though Capita et al. might be looking to other revenue streams and some local authorities might just rebrand their litter Hitlers.

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As someone pointed out, you can go out with twelve mates as long as you're in two groups of six with a two meter gap between the groups. 

Actually trying to police these regulations is a practical impossibility.

Mum, Dad and three kids going for a walk in the park with the children's grandparents = illegal

Me, having the lads from six-a-side football round after the game for a piss-up in the kitchen before they all go back to their own houses = absolutely fine.

Perfectly logical. 

Edited by ml1dch

41 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Perhaps, though Capita et al. might be looking to other revenue streams and some local authorities might just rebrand their litter Hitlers.

Both our main councils have already got rid of the Litter Hitlers and passed the role onto the Parking Hitlers, the Parking Hitlers have too many easy targets to be bothering with any litter

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As someone pointed out, you can go out with twelve mates as long as you're in two groups of six with a two meter gap between the groups.

I don't think we know that's correct until the new regulations are published, do we?

The new guidance would suggest that this would not be permitted (Gov website*) but we would have to see what the actual legislation says when they put it out there (which will probably be about 11pm on Sunday night).

* necessary extract:

When seeing friends and family you do not live with you should:

• follow social distancing rules

From 14 September - when the new rules apply - it will be against the law to meet people you do not live with in a group larger than 6 (unless you are meeting as a household or support bubble). The police will have the powers to enforce these legal limits, including to issue fines (fixed penalty notice) of £100, doubling for further breaches up to a maximum of £3,200.

There will be exceptions where groups can be larger than 6 people, including:

The point being that a social gathering over whatever distance unless covered by the exemptions is not supposed to be of more than 6 people.

• Like 1

Back to the Phantom Flan Flingers... sorry Covid Marshalls

Coronavirus: Confusion over 'COVID marshals' who will have no power to fine or arrest

The "powerless" marshals will likely only guide and advise the public on current rules and it's not clear how they'll be funded....

Ken Marsh, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said the marshals would make little difference if they were not able to enforce coronavirus laws.

Sky News has been told that there are no plans to give the marshals power to arrest those not complying with stricter rules around social gatherings....

But the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government has now confirmed there are no plans to give the marshals power to issue fines.

A spokeswoman said they would probably wear high-visibility clothing to support members of the public, offering guidance on the new rules around the size of social gatherings and advice on the likes of COVID-secure one-way systems.

SKY

Remember that Beauty Salon around the corner from my office....

A beauty salon denying the existence of coronavirus may be shut down after council officers found it was still displaying conspiracy posters.

The poster, adorned with the salon logo, contained bullet points stating: “Covid Free Salon; no masks, we take cash; covid talk is banned; you can’t catch what doesn’t exist".

It then asked customers to "please respect the rules of the salon."

Environmental Health officers from Sefton Council visited the salon on Monday and Tuesday and said they were assured the posters would be taken down permanently and that covid rules would be observed.

However one of the posters appeared to have been stuck back up yesterday afternoon, the same day lockdown measures were tightened due to spiralling infection rates.

The council appears to have seen this as the last straw and two besuited licensing officers were pictured returning today alongside a Merseyside Police officer.

The Liverpool Gecko

• Like 4

It was suggested on Newsnight last night that one of the New Virus Marshall's jobs would be to sanitise the buttons on Pelican Crossings.

I’m beginning to suspect I’m actually in a coma.

How much of this will I remember when I wake up?

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Mum, Dad and three kids going for a walk in the park with the children's grandparents = illegal

Me, having the lads from six-a-side football round after the game for a piss-up in the kitchen before they all go back to their own houses = absolutely fine.

Perfectly logical. 

Looks like we're going to have to cancel a self-catering holiday in Wales. Our gang of seven old codgers (three couples and a widow) have booked a cottage in Wales next month, but it's now against the rules. If we were in a hotel with dozens of other people, that would be OK. But the same seven of us in an isolated house, ooh, bad. 

19 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Depends on the age of the grandchildren. Under 11s don't count. 

Â