Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think if I had 5 kids I'd use this as an excuse to pack up my own stuff and relax until this thing blows over ;) 

Quite an easy decision for me, need some more space for my home brew operation and she has a water connection in her room. Will get her a tent and stove like

#gooddad

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

Matt HanCOCK. My emphasis. 

The reason we have constraint at the moment is not because capacity has gone down; far from it, capacity has gone up. It’s that we’ve suddenly seen this rise in demand from people who are not eligible. For instance, I’ve read stories of whole schools being told to go and get a test. That is not what the testing is there for. We need it for people who are symptomatic.

I want to reassure people who have got symptoms 90% of people get a test that’s within 22 miles of them. The average distance that anybody has to travel to get a test is under 10 miles. So we have got the vast majority of people getting a test locally, getting the results very quickly.

I wonder why that is. This is the same page. Yesterday on the left, today on the right. If you were in an outbreak area they encouraged everyone to get tested. If you did that, you're part of the problem. The government policy at any one time is meaningless, it's all the fault of the irresponsible general public.

image.thumb.png.b18b1559b50ff39bebadf1ad10f2a65e.png

As for the average test being 10 miles away, I suspect he might be telling the truth, because people saw the nearest test site was 10+ miles away, so didn't get tested, you disingenuous Representative for Wellingborough. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Went into the big Tesco yesterday by Villa after visiting the club shop. It was lunchtime and was busy in there and I would estimate that only 50% of people in there were wearing masks. 

It appears to me that many of the general public have just thought sod it, we’ll do what we want now.  The people not adhering to mask wearing in public places are not going adhere to meetings of less than 6.  

This is what Sarah-Jane Marsh (Track and Trace director said:

"All of our testing sites have capacity, which is why they don't look overcrowded," Ms Marsh explained. 

Instead, appointments were restricted because of a blockage in processing capacity in the labs. 

That has to be bollocks. If they have tests, and capacity at test sites, and people needing tests, then why are they stopping the tests just because the labs processing the results are busy?

You'd keep testing but then apologise for the delay in the result being longer than normal.

I know they are **** idiots but there’s no way they think it’s sensible to not bother testing people to keep pressure off the labs.

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

That has to be bollocks. If they have tests, and capacity at test sites, and people needing tests, then why are they stopping the tests just because the labs processing the results are busy?

You'd keep testing but then apologise for the delay in the result being longer than normal.

I know they are **** idiots but there’s no way they think it’s sensible to not bother testing people to keep pressure off the labs.

Where do they store more than a million test samples? How long do the test samples remain, whatever the word is - valid? do they need to be kept refrigerated, or do they need to be kept in some specific conditions? I assume there's already a backlog because of lack of lab capacity - so just piling up more tests won't solve that.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

That, and if somebody is sent to Telford for a test, then the sample is still going to be sent to a lab. 

The test being taken in Telford isn't going to get through a backlog in a lab quicker than a test taken in Croydon.

• Like 1

To go back to the Hancock quote, and give some perspective on how well the government have handled this.

Today:

It’s that we’ve suddenly seen this rise in demand from people who are not eligible. For instance, I’ve read stories of whole schools being told to go and get a test. That is not what the testing is there for. We need it for people who are symptomatic.

End of July:

Contact tracing chiefs are promising to test 150,000 people with no symptoms every day by September in an attempt to shorten quarantine requirements and improve the search for virus hotspots.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-contact-tracers-to-test-150-000-asymptomatic-people-every-day-dvvgvqk3q

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

Where do they store more than a million test samples? How long do the test samples remain, whatever the word is - valid? do they need to be kept refrigerated, or do they need to be kept in some specific conditions? I assume there's already a backlog because of lack of lad capacity - so just piling up more tests won't solve that.

Is there a backlog of a million tests?

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is there a backlog of a million tests?

Well, if they can't process tests fast enough because of lack of Lab capacity, then there are more tests being conducted than processed. So there's already a build up, a back log. Then, if they do as you say and "You'd keep testing " then there's all those tests - 2 weeks worth at what 80,000 or whatever it is, per day - so that's well over a milion, yes, even by rough maths

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well, if they can't process tests fast enough because of lack of Lab capacity, then there are more tests being conducted than processed. So there's already a build up, a back log. Then, if they do as you say and "You'd keep testing " then there's all those tests - 2 weeks worth at what 80,000 or whatever it is, per day - so that's well over a milion, yes, even by rough maths

A rough guess 😉 

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well, if they can't process tests fast enough because of lack of Lab capacity, then there are more tests being conducted than processed.

Then why are some sites still operating? If the issue is lab capacity, how does (e.g) sending Demitri to Telford for the day make his test go through a lab any quicker?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Then why are some sites still operating? If the issue is lab capacity, how does (e.g) sending Demitri to Telford for the day make his test go through a lab any quicker?

Exactly, they are not being transparent. 

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I don't run the testing! :)

I have a tiny suspicion that the Tories may have made one or two teensy errors and that the contractors might not be quite as capable as advertised. This combined with a national website that finds the, ahem, "nearest" available slot. 

The labs are regional-ish aren't they? so a lab in the North West will process Manchester tests, and one in the South East London tests, etc. So if the London one is more swamped than the Manchester one, the national internet site sees Manchester as Dem's nearest available test location. There's seemingly a disparity as well between "slots" available to be booked for tests, and the actual ability to process tests.

Clear as mud, innit?

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

The labs are regional-ish aren't they? so a lab in the North West will process Manchester tests, and one in the South East London tests, etc. So if the London one is more swamped than the Manchester one, the national internet site sees Manchester as Dem's nearest available test location. There's seemingly a disparity as well between "slots" available to be booked for tests, and the actual ability to process tests.

That would be the logical explanation.  The logical solution would seemingly be to send completed tests to a lab with capacity, rather than human beings to a test site in the vicinity of a lab with capacity. 

Particularly when you consider that you're likely having a test done because you suspect you might have the virus - for anyone relying on public transport,  I'm not sure that "travel halfway across the country and back surrounded by other people" is that great an idea for a potentially contagious person. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't run the testing! :)

I have a tiny suspicion that the Tories may have made one or two teensy errors and that the contractors might not be quite as capable as advertised. This combined with a national website that finds the, ahem, "nearest" available slot. 

Clear as mud, innit?

I read of two separate stories yesterday (alarming but unverified), one a family who drove from Stockport to Telford to get their child tested only to be turned away from the site as "they'd run out of tests", the other a family in Bury who had fetched their daughter home from nursery with a 40C temp - she was asked to go to Telford for testing but the Mom is heavily pregnant and the Dad is high-risk AND is patient-facing for the NHS.

Assuming they're true, and having seen the photos of the traffic jams outside the Telford centre it's likely, it further demonstrates what a farce this is.

I still maintain they're going for herd immunity via the back door.

• Like 1

Â