Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Presumably any family with five children will have to choose one to abandon in the woods.

Wahey! Now that everyones had a nice summer holiday abroad, they've eaten out to help out, they've been to the boozer. Boris notices that things are getting back to bad. After Monday, what next? closing the schools? (I guess they are just a drain on public finances!) 🙄

If anyone near Tamworth needs a test 

A Mobile Testing Unit will be in Tamworth today (Wednesday 9th) and tomorrow Thursday (10th) offering Covid-19 tests to anyone who has symptoms of the virus. 
You can either book online OR just turn up without an appointment for a drive through test.
The centre at the Sir Robert Peel Community Hospital will be open from 10:30am to 3:30 pm on both days.
❗ Appointments can be booked online at http://www.nhs.uk/coronavirus
❗ If no slots are available on the national portal people can also attend the drive-through without an appointment. 
❗You will need to wear a face covering and bring ID
On Tuesday, Rawlett High School advised pupils in two year groups and associated teachers to self-isolate as a precaution after a member of staff and a pupil tested positive for coronavirus. A second pupil is awaiting test results.
Dr Johnny McMahon, Staffordshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Health, Care and Wellbeing, said: “We know there are issues with booking appointments nationally, so we want to make sure there is testing available locally for everyone who has symptoms.
“If you do need to book a test, then the mobile centre will be open for business in Tamworth for people to just turn up, so please do take advantage of this.”
Dr Richard Harling, Staffordshire County Council’s Director of Health and Care, said: “If people in the Tamworth area have symptoms of covid-19 they should get tested as soon as possible.
“With schools going back, we do expect to see cases of covid-19 among pupils and staff. We aim to balance control of the infection against maintaining pupils’ education.  
“We will work with schools to determine which other pupils and staff have been exposed to the virus and need to isolate. Sometimes this may include whole “bubbles”, which could mean whole year groups. 
“Any pupils and staff who have been exposed need to stay at home for 14 days and book a test if they develop symptoms.”

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

so the family BBQ my mom is hosting for me bringing my daughter to England for the first time has to be referred to as a "naming ceremony" and everything is ok

Or you could just meet up at the pub.

Positive Covid-19 cases have been reported in 64 separate schools in NI among staff or pupils in the first two weeks of the school term.

The Department of Education (DE) revealed the figure to the Stormont Education Committee on Tuesday.

Up until Tuesday 8 September, DE had been notified of 88 positive cases in 64 schools.

More than 300,000 children returned to classrooms in the first week of September.

I'll be quite surprised if the schools are still fully open at Christmas time.

Link

20 hours ago, bickster said:

Chinese infection data is not reliable and hence while the study methodology may be correct, the conclusions must be viewed skeptically pending confirmation from legitimate data sources. 

Garbage in == garbage out.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

A rough guess 😉 

5 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Then why are some sites still operating? If the issue is lab capacity, how does (e.g) sending Demitri to Telford for the day make his test go through a lab any quicker?

5 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't run the testing! :)

I have a tiny suspicion that the Tories may have made one or two teensy errors and that the contractors might not be quite as capable as advertised. This combined with a national website that finds the, ahem, "nearest" available slot. 

From my missus who was told this at work, so I have no idea if its true but it does kind of make sense.

Lab testing capacity has reduced because a lot of the temporary capacity created early on was using universities or at least their equipment and they now need it for the new academic year, so that capacity has gone.

If true its classic unjoined up thinking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Chinese infection data is not reliable and hence while the study methodology may be correct, the conclusions must be viewed skeptically pending confirmation from legitimate data sources. 

Garbage in == garbage out.

Great it's a fair point (but these early papers are the only ones available on the subject that I can find), now if only you could apply that logic to most of the stuff you post yourself.... like when you criticized the author of a paper for being wrong about his own paper...

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

Great it's a fair point (but these early papers are the only ones available on the subject that I can find), now if only you could apply that logic to most of the stuff you post yourself.... like when you criticized the author of a paper for being wrong about his own paper...

I was making a point doing that, related to goings on in another thread... probably better to just leave that lie.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

so the family BBQ my mom is hosting for me bringing my daughter to England for the first time has to be referred to as a "naming ceremony" and everything is ok

Just wear a dog collar and Robert's your Father's brother! 

Â