Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You can't have classrooms at full capacity and be socially distanced.

It's a lie.

And even if you could, kids don't do what they're told as a rule.

Yeah I get that, but at least TRY and keep them apart. They had 6 months to sort out a plan. From what I gather the have a staggered lunch break and some hand wash and that’s it.

Is this not Boris demonstrating the blueprint for a coronavirus risk reduced classroom?

1008borisjohnsonstjosephsschool-2.jpg

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

Do this mean that Boris might have been wrong that the schools aren’t perfectly safe? It’s taken less than a week which has surprised me tbh.

Given the time-frame, it may not be the schools where people have caught it (yet - it will be soon enough). I feel like we're seeing the effects of 'eat out to help out' and holidays at the moment.

• Like 2

870-BDD06-2-F3-F-4666-BF49-CC09-BBD25041

The increasing numbers are clearly a concern, but what is more worrying is we still have a load of bad news in the bank. Schools, universities, get back in the office you lazy bastards, make sure you use public transport you cretins etc. 
All of this is waiting to land into the stats (and hospitals). There’s no way that number can come down anytime soon.

Edited by Genie

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

870-BDD06-2-F3-F-4666-BF49-CC09-BBD25041

The increasing numbers are clearly a concern, but what is more worrying is we still have a load of bad news in the bank. Schools, universities, get back in the office you lazy bastards, make sure you use public transport you cretins etc. 
All of this is waiting to land into the stats (and hospitals). There’s no way that number can come down anytime soon.

It's not that these are necessarily bad things in themselves (okay, the 'get back to the office you lazy bastards' thing is bad), but it's so stupid that they're trying to do them all at the same time. Why not leave off the back-to-the-office push for just a month or so, until we've seen what the effects of schools and universities is? It's not like it's hard to predict that rapidly introducing lots more social mixing will lead to lots more cases.

A director of the government's test and trace programme in England has issued a "heartfelt" apology for problems with the coronavirus testing system.

In a tweet, Sarah-Jane Marsh explained it was the laboratories, not the testing sites themselves, that were the "critical pinch-point".

This comes as scientists have sounded the alarm about rising coronavirus cases. 

A new Lighthouse lab is due to open in Loughborough in about a fortnight.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said there had been a "a problem with a couple of contracts" which would take a matter of weeks to be "sorted in the short term".

But he said he had "already put in certain solutions" to make sure people didn't have to travel more than 75 miles for a test. 

Ministers' concern over 'sharp rise' in Covid cases

Ms Marsh works as a deputy to Dido Harding, heading up the "test" element of the test and trace scheme. 

The programme aims to find coronavirus cases through testing and, once confirmed, track down their contacts and tell them to isolate, in order to contain the virus.

Some people with symptoms have struggled to access testing in recent days, raising concerns these efforts will be hampered.

"All of our testing sites have capacity, which is why they don't look overcrowded," Ms Marsh explained. 

Instead, appointments were restricted because of a blockage in processing capacity in the labs.

3 cheers for Matt Hancock getting the journey for a test down to 75 miles (each way, or total?)

BBC

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

And the weather hasn't even turned yet :) 

No No, don't talk like that, people are convinced that it comes in seasonally affected waves cos it's just flu innit

Despite all but one of the papers written so far on the subject (disclaimer: none yet peer reviewed) saying to the contrary.

Even all the evidence in plain sight (hi USA) says this isn't the case but no, we'll still talk about waves....

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

No No, don't talk like that, people are convinced that it comes in seasonally affected waves cos it's just flu innit

Despite all but one of the papers written so far on the subject (disclaimer: none yet peer reviewed) saying to the contrary.

Even all the evidence in plain sight (hi USA) says this isn't the case but no, we'll still talk about waves....

Indirectly seasonal though - it's been noticeably worse in America in states where people needed indoor, air-conditioned spaces, and it's more likely to travel around my office once it's too cold to have the windows open. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I don’t think the system is the issue, it’s the shortage of tests 

Define shortage of tests, do you mean capacity of testing? Or the shortage of kits to do the tests? or a shortage of staff to do the tests?

I ask because my empirically derived evidence suggests when people go for tests at the sites, there is no queue of people and plenty of capacity at the sites for more testing to be done. I know a fair few people who have been for tests and a good few more who have taken people to testing sites. Pretty much all saying the same think... straight in and out, no queue, no waiting, seen ahead of appointment if they were early etc.

I really don't think it's a shortage. At this point I genuinely think it's either a very shit piece of software or a deliberate tactic to keep the testing numbers down.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

What papers are these? I'll have a read through.

I think there's a good chance it'll benefit from the same kind of seasonal conditions that lead to the flu spreading in Winter. Influenza doesn't thrive in winter because it's cold. It likely does so because we cram ourselves indoors, and the air is less humid which allows the virus to hang in the air for longer. Both factors that could benefit Covid too. 

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Define shortage of tests, do you mean capacity of testing? Or the shortage of kits to do the tests? or a shortage of staff to do the tests?

I ask because my empirically derived evidence suggests when people go for tests at the sites, there is no queue of people and plenty of capacity at the sites for more testing to be done. I know a fair few people who have been for tests and a good few more who have taken people to testing sites. Pretty much all saying the same think... straight in and out, no queue, no waiting, seen ahead of appointment if they were early etc.

I really don't think it's a shortage. At this point I genuinely think it's either a very shit piece of software or a deliberate tactic to keep the testing numbers down.

I posted an article just after that post which explained the issue with the process at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Influenza doesn't thrive in winter because it's cold. It likely does so because we cram ourselves indoors, and the air is less humid which allows the virus to hang in the air for longer. Both factors that could benefit Covid too. 

Exactamundo

Im not sure why “wave” is such a dirty word to be honest. It looks very much like we’re starting a second one now. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Indirectly seasonal though - it's been noticeably worse in America in states where people needed indoor, air-conditioned spaces, and it's more likely to travel around my office once it's too cold to have the windows open. 

Ah yes, I'm not disputing the effect Air Con plays in this, we discussed this a while back in relation to Florida and we agree but that isn't what I'm talking about, that's a man made thing that will still be prevalent 24/7/365 anyway 

Â