Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I don’t think it is political. It’s mainly about circumstances really. What is left and what is right now anyway? It’s changed big time. Labour lost a lot of the left voters over Brexit and they either didn’t vote or voted Tory. These are your hard core working class people who live in the north and many of these people want this to end so they can get back to work 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don’t think it is political. It’s mainly about circumstances really. What is left and what is right now anyway? It’s changed big time. Labour lost a lot of the left voters over Brexit and they either didn’t vote or voted Tory. These are your hard core working class people who live in the north and many of these people want this to end so they can get back to work 

Bridgend down here too. Along with parts of North Wales.

It's too easy to look at that and blame it on brexity stuff or words like left and right imo. Which as you say, don't hold the same meanings they once did.

That's not to say people aren't still in many cases partisan. 

But calling Blairite voters left wingers? Nah, not for me.

Thatcher didn't end the class system as she claimed. But she did rewrite the rule book. As well as the voting boundaries, which lets face it, is what defines our voting system and puts governments in power.

Where does the underclass fit in this neat dichotomy?

The poor, and I mean the really poor people, need to get out and make a buck or two. That's not their fault. It's the world we've created. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Bridgend down here too. Along with parts of North Wales.

It's too easy to look at that and blame it on brexity stuff or words like left and right imo. Which as you say, don't hold the same meanings they once did.

That's not to say people aren't still in many cases partisan. 

But calling Blairite voters left wingers? Nah, not for me.

Thatcher didn't end the class system as she claimed. But she did rewrite the rule book. As well as the voting boundaries, which lets face it, is what defines our voting system and puts governments in power.

Where does the underclass fit in this neat dichotomy?

The poor, and I mean the really poor people, need to get out and make a buck or two. That's not their fault. It's the world we've created. 

It's all an illusion of choice to keep us from kicking off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The split on the lockdown is exactly the same as the split on the EU, and it'll be the same interests pushing.

No, that’s an overly simplistic analysis. Piers Morgan is an obvious high profile retort to that assessment. Also funny seeing Sweden suddenly the darling of the libertarian movement whilst traditional Scandiphiles (is that a word?) like The Guardian have been tying themselves in knots trying to find negative articles about Sweden. 

I think an event like this defies the traditional culture wars. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

No, that’s an overly simplistic analysis. Piers Morgan is an obvious high profile retort to that assessment.

The Remain-voting Piers Morgan?

I'd have suggested that Johnson, Gove or Sunak are slightly more obvious. 

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

No, that’s an overly simplistic analysis. Piers Morgan is an obvious high profile retort to that assessment. Also funny seeing Sweden suddenly the darling of the libertarian movement whilst traditional Scandiphiles (is that a word?) like The Guardian have been tying themselves in knots trying to find negative articles about Sweden. 

I think an event like this defies the traditional culture wars. 

I don't mean literally the same people divide on those lines.

I mean it's the same kind of split, the one or the other kinda thing. And I've no doubt that the power sbehind such thoughts will be the same powers that there was before with Brexit.

Just now, ml1dch said:

The Remain-voting Piers Morgan?

I'd have suggested that Johnson, Gove or Sunak are slightly more obvious. 

I didn’t know how he voted but remember him being pretty belligerent towards ‘remoaners’. 

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I don't mean literally the same people divide on those lines.

I mean it's the same kind of split, the one or the other kinda thing. And I've no doubt that the power sbehind such thoughts will be the same powers that there was before with Brexit.

I agree the hard core elements in both camps have rallied to each side of the debate as usual but there is a much bigger middle ground in this. For example, support for a lockdown runs at some 70-80% in both the US and UK, yet those countries are more split on issues like Trump or Brexit.  The response to a ‘black swan’ event like this not something that can easily be categorised.  

Left and right is quite a clumsy one size all sort of thing.

But I would presume someone secretly saw themselves as ‘right’ if they use big nebulous put downs about ‘the left’.

Then I wonder, do these sort of ‘right’ people just presume their views are right (correct) and therefore they see themselves as the sensible middle. Or do they feel guilty about being in with Thatcher, Trump, Branson and Franco.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think our lockdown has been pretty soft. A fair amount of people just aren't abiding by it. Might be why our figures aren't dropping off that quickly. Seemed much stricter in Spain and Italy

KFC Tamworth earlier (from Birmingham Mail). Is queuing for fried chicken a) worth a 2 hour wait, and b) an essential journey?

0_JS211486989.jpg

Tamworth is Evidently Chickentown...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Left and right is quite a clumsy one size all sort of thing.

But I would presume someone secretly saw themselves as ‘right’ if they use big nebulous put downs about ‘the left’.

Then I wonder, do these sort of ‘right’ people just presume their views are right (correct) and therefore they see themselves as the sensible middle. Or do they feel guilty about being in with Thatcher, Trump, Branson

Lauren Conrad Yes GIF by The Hills

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

and Franco.

scared baby GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I think our lockdown has been pretty soft. A fair amount of people just aren't abiding by it. Might be why our figures aren't dropping off that quickly. Seemed much stricter in Spain and Italy

KFC Tamworth earlier (from Birmingham Mail). Is queuing for fried chicken a) worth a 2 hour wait, and b) an essential journey?

0_JS211486989.jpg

See I don't get the queuing for stuff like K fried C, it just goes to show how often these people must eat it for them to be willing to queue so long for it.

I could absolutely murder a Chinese, I haven't had one since about February I'm guessing, and since the lockdown they have all just completely closed, I certainly wouldn't queue 2 hours for one though.

Having said that, if the curry houses closed down then I would queue all day for one seeing as I have to have an Indian every Friday night, I suppose I'm no better than the fools waiting for KFC, I'm just lucky.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

I assume all of the KFC stores that reopened today were similar. They’ll need the military when McDonald’s reopen

EXRSNZBXYAEVJQ_?format=jpg&name=large EXReJKeXsAAAtUJ?format=jpg&name=large

EXQvOZhXYAE9irA?format=jpg&name=small

I just can’t imagine needing fried chicken that much. But hey, I guess for some it’s essential.

Just don’t walk on the beach on your own at 8 in the morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I could absolutely murder a Chinese, I haven't had one since about February I'm guessing, and since the lockdown they have all just completely closed, I certainly wouldn't queue 2 hours for one though.

There's one open in Nuneaton. Much like my fish n chips order during lockdown, I ate so **** much. Wasn't a bad wait for delivery either. 

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Must be quite the peculiarity to in effect be fired by Boris Johnson, for having sex with somebody else's wife. 

...How the **** did he pull that off?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, hogso said:

There's one open in Nuneaton. Much like my fish n chips order during lockdown, I ate so **** much. Wasn't a bad wait for delivery either. 

That's funny, I've been sat here waiting 2.5 hours for a Chinese delivery. China Town in Quarry Bank, if anyone reading this needs to make sure they never ever order from them.

Â