Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Yeah but Britain just so happens to have had the highest number of people likely to die soon anyway in Europe. So there.

I mean, to be serious about it, there are reasonable arguments against putting too much weight on just the total number who have died, as opposed to per capita figures or excess mortality, but just to not even mention it seems a bit off. Just run an article stating it, and then offer alternative explanations as necessary.

Hancock being a clearing in the woods. He doesn't seem to have a badge showing that he represents being a clearing in the woods yet, unlike his representing the NHS brand.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, to be serious about it, there are reasonable arguments against putting too much weight on just the total number who have died, as opposed to per capita figures or excess mortality, but just to not even mention it seems a bit off. Just run an article stating it, and then offer alternative explanations as necessary.

Absolutely. Total death toll can't be seen as the only comparison.

But having the largest on a particular continent also can't be ignored.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Hancock being a clearing in the woods. He doesn't seem to have a badge showing that he represents being a clearing in the woods yet, unlike his representing the NHS brand.

How dare she speak passionately as a voice of the front line watching people die as a result of poor government planning. Watch your tone indeed lady or you’ll be arrt.

Would he have told a male to watch his tone? I highly doubt it. 
Edit: someone tweeted exactly how I felt.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I wonder what their agenda is on the day we become the worst in Europe. 

Genuine question (not necessarily to you DCJ), why is the majority of the opposition to the lockdown I see, both here and the US, from right wing leaning people or media? What's the connection?

Even before Coronavirus exploded, a lot of the people denying it was anything to worry about seemed to be pro Brexit, Conservative voters.

It's all anecdotal evidence. maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Genuine question (not necessarily to you DCJ), why is the majority of the opposition to the lockdown I see, both here and the US, from right wing leaning people or media? What's the connection?

Even before Coronavirus exploded, a lot of the people denying it was anything to worry about seemed to be pro Brexit, Conservative voters.

I agree 100% it really does come from them. 

I imagine some of it is that individual billionaires control a lot of the right wing media, and i imagine their interests are more lined to the economy than the health of the general public. Also I think the lockdown represents a loss of freedom and we know the right wing, especially in America, can't be seen to allow that to happen. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think that's a complicated question with multiple answers.

Clearly part of the reason is that Donald Trump is heading into an election campaign, with low approval ratings and few undecided voters, and the one good story to tell being the economy. Since he spends large parts of his day watching cable news and then tweeting about what he's watching, the already-large conservative media ecosystem has dedicated itself to telling him what he wants to hear, more or less explicitly.

It's presumably also partly because taking coronavirus seriously seems bad for business, and lots of people are worried about their stock portfolios and dividends. That corporate America is concerned about this can be seen by the speed and ease with which climate-deniallist scientists have switched to coronavirus-skeptics.

And maybe there's also some element of '**** the so-called experts' that also motivated certain voting behaviours in the last five years.

However, these are just partial explanations and I'm sure people would disagree or want to add others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Good question. I suspect that an element of it is from a take that personal freedom and personal choice and individual rights take precedent over state "interference" or state "control". Another part may be a right wing view that the economy should dictate. Another part maybe that some right wing people are quite prone to disbelieving anything the state says - they don't trust the state/deep state (especially in murica). There may be an element of not giving a damn about other people they don't know - I'm all right jack, though I'd love to go to the pub/theatre. There' also a tendency amongst some to be quite nationalist - I'm American/English and I am not a weak continental and the virus can't get me because of that. A sort of imagined exceptionalism.

Oh, and quite a lot of them are massive bell ends.

& quite a lot will just be normal people who want to see their families/go to work & are now being called right wing because of this opinion because it differs from what the left echo bubble deems to be right...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

& quite a lot will just be normal people who want to see their families/go to work & are now being called right wing because of this opinion because it differs from what the left echo bubble deems to be right...

I would say its pretty right wing to dismiss lives of certain people and push the idea that they would have died anyway. 

14 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

are now being called right wing... because it differs from what the left echo bubble deems to be right

Just so you realise what you actually said

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just so you realise what you actually said

I know exactly what i said. If you do not agreee 100% with the twitter left you are classed as right wing, there is no middle ground & honestly it's as bad on here.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I know exactly what i said. If you do not agreee 100% with the twitter left you are classed as right wing, there is no middle ground

Theres no way ending the lockdown can be considered middle ground

• Like 1

Â