Generic Virus Thread

villakram

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

But the stated objective of the lockdown was to flatten the peak, so that our health service didn't collapse. It was never meant to be quarantining the entire country indefinitely. The Nightingale hospitals weren't needed, and while it's been very stressful on NHS staff, we haven't looked like breaching even the normal capacity, while still having the headroom of the Nightingale sites.

You do seem to have forgotten a couple of things here. It isn't just the lock down that has stopped the NHS becoming overwhelmed. It is that thousands of operations were cancelled and screening stopped to create extra capacity. That will eventually lead to thousands more lives being lost. We have also allowed many of our care homes to become death camps which again has meant less strain on the NHS that there otherwise would have been, you know had we actually tried to save these people rather than not have them in hospital at all or send them back to a care home to spread the virus.

The way I see the lock down is that if it has now helped suppress the spread and we now have capacity in the NHS then lets use that capacity to get back to operating on those who desperately need it and screening people. There is no doubt that relaxing the lock down brings with it the huge rick, and for me certain likelihood, of the infection rate increasing and the NHS being under threat of becoming overwhelmed. That then means we have to again free up capacity by cancelling operations and stopping screening.

Don't fall for the governments crap that it is mission accomplished, we didn't overwhelm the NHS here is my back now pat it. The capacity they made has come at a huge cost in thousands of lives as a consequence of creating that capacity.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can see why. :D 

I'm not sure if you're right that it's a right wing majority supporting the end of lockdown, but they're certainly the loudest and angriest. It does make me feel vaguely uncomfortable agreeing, to an extent!

I'm with you on that. I think it's as lazy a trope as my sheep shagging joke was earlier. 

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

can't wait to hear your thoughts on Michael Goves bookshelf snowychap...

I have no idea what it's like but I'd take a punt that he didn't buy it from Ikea and put it up/together himself.

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can see why. :D 

I'm not sure if you're right that it's a right wing majority supporting the end of lockdown, but they're certainly the loudest and angriest. It does make me feel vaguely uncomfortable agreeing, to an extent!

I'm not sure I'm right either. Like I said in my OP it's mostly anecdotal evidence and might just be confirmation bias.

Just now, snowychap said:

I have no idea what it's like but I'd take a punt that he didn't buy it from Ikea and put it up/together himself.

Can you imagine him trying to use a screwdriver?

Clapping Michael GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The split on the lockdown is exactly the same as the split on the EU, and it'll be the same interests pushing.

It's important to remember the Tory politican's hierachy of needs. 

In this situation, the strength of the economy trumps human lives. 

But the strength of the economy is still found above the base layer of the pyramid, which if I remember Maslow correctly, is being a dick to foreigners. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand why the last two pages blew up. It is just obviously, visibly true that most of the voices pushing loudest for a fast end to restrictions belong to *some* conservatives. That doesn't mean that all conservatives want to end restrictions (clearly lots don't, polling demonstrates this) or that there are no left-wing people who want an end to restrictions. But I can't fathom how @Stevo985's original question was controversial in the first place.

Me neither. 

I tried really hard to make it clear that I wasn't saying everyone who supports the lockdown being eased was right wing, I wasn't talking about extreme right just right leaning, that I was working purely on anecdotal evidence, that it might be confirmation bias, and I don't even think I'm necessarily correct.

Like I said earlier, i think once people think they're being called right wing they don't like it.

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You seem to have imagined that someone said ALL people who want the lockdown to end or get back to work are right wing.

self4050505.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I quite enjoyed Peston asking how we could get the numbers to start going down on the cumulative death chart. It's unclear from the response whether any investment is being made in to researching resurrection. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

& quite a lot will just be normal people who want to see their families/go to work & are now being called right wing because of this opinion because it differs from what the left echo bubble deems to be right...

I get what you're saying, but the question was "why do a lot of right wingers..." I strongly suspect the question was based around the likes of Trump, his supporters, various Tories writing in the Torygraph, some American Libertarian self proclaimed right wingers...etc. - i.e people who identify themselves as right wing,

in other words peope being called right wing for wanting to go to work to get health care would be stupid - these are normal people. But that's not who the question was about. It was about people who call themselves proudly right wing. Like these people protesting the lockdown

ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg

That's my interpretation anyway.

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

Considering how long we’ve been in lockdown the deaths are not really coming down rapidly are they? It’s a very gradual decline.

I think our lockdown has been pretty soft. A fair amount of people just aren't abiding by it. Might be why our figures aren't dropping off that quickly. Seemed much stricter in Spain and Italy

KFC Tamworth earlier (from Birmingham Mail). Is queuing for fried chicken a) worth a 2 hour wait, and b) an essential journey?

0_JS211486989.jpg

• Sad 2

Â