Generic Virus Thread

villakram

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Company wide 10% pay cut until the end of the year at our place. 

Sucks. But if it keeps jobs I guess it is what it is

I have a feeling we’re gonna have 10% deferral. As you say, not ideal but manageable and if it protects my job I’m all for it. 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

New Zealand Prime Minister taking 20% pay cut and her other Ministers taking 10% till end of the year to help economy. Imagine our guys doing that, instead they give them extra 10K to work from home 🤣

£10k to cover printer cartridges and heating. 

What are they heating their houses with? Caviar and lobsters on an open fire?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

Company could be topping up

In Stevo's previous posts, it appeared the company were claiming that they were going to doing that already, i.e. they said that employees were going to be furloughed on 'full pay' (albeit with them contributing their own holidays to that 'top up').

If they've now chosen to cut people's pay during any furlough period (as well as beyond) then it changes the relative burden that is being shouldered by the employee and employer.

Edited by snowychap

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

£10k to cover printer cartridges and heating.

It isn't that, though, is it?

It isn't 'an extra £10k' to an MP (I know you didn't exactly word it like that but the previous poster did), it is an increase in the cap for expenses for the purposes of covering costs for home-working by them, and their staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Whilst you're on furlough?

From June I think. For 6 months. I haven’t seen the official communication but heard from a colleague.

Assume it’ll be after the furloughs have all finished because of reasons you’ve already highlighted 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

For context, a guy on the wireless  earlier said this is the worst economic hit to the UK since 1709 - apparently a great frost at the end of the little ice age spannered agriculture, which was roughly 1/3 of the economy at the time. Don’t think we’ve even begun to digest what this means yet. 

Meanwhile, the Washington Post has done some digging on the lab in Wuhan and this thread is worth reading (falun gong free): 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

From June I think. For 6 months. I haven’t seen the official communication but heard from a colleague.

Assume it’ll be after the furloughs have all finished because of reasons you’ve already highlighted 

Ah, fair enough - still not great for you, mind.

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Ah, fair enough - still not great for you, mind.

Nope. But given how worried I am about my job, if it keeps our jobs then I’m ok with it. 

It’s apparently company wide too. Everyone from the top to the bottom. As it should be of course!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Awol said:

For context, a guy on the wireless  earlier said this is the worst economic hit to the UK since 1709 - apparently a great frost at the end of the little ice age spannered agriculture, which was roughly 1/3 of the economy at the time. Don’t think we’ve even begun to digest what this means yet. 

Meanwhile, the Washington Post has done some digging on the lab in Wuhan and this thread is worth reading (falun gong free): 

IMF (I think it was) said there would be a 35% contraction in the economy assuming business reopens in June. There will be a similar 30-35% bounce for the next 3 months.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

IMF (I think it was) said there would be a 35% contraction in the economy assuming business reopens in June. There will be a similar 30-35% bounce for the next 3 months.

I hope that’s right, but with the amount of businesses still waiting for bridging finance I’m not sure it will be quite that simple. 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

No way will this equilise out.  I think there will be a rebound as people/companies try to catch up but there will still be a big dip. 

I do think the pubs and restaurants who manage to survive will see a bumper first few weeks after lockdown ends.  They will be queuing down the road for McDonald's. 

EDIT  There is also threat of further future lockdowns again if the thing accelerates again which there is every danger of. 

Edited by sidcow

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

IMF growth predictions are bunk. This of course should be expected as they are generated by economists.

Anyone claiming to know how things will go in the second half of the year is (a) full of shit, and/or (b) selling you something.

Uncertainty rules right now.

13 minutes ago, villakram said:

IMF growth predictions are bunk. This of course should be expected as they are generated by economists.

Anyone claiming to know how things will go in the second half of the year is (a) full of shit, and/or (b) selling you something.

Uncertainty rules right now.

It does sound very optimistic, and very much finger in the air guestimates. I don’t think they claim to be predicting the future, just one scenario.

The OBR has assumed that the three-month lockdown would be followed by a further three months of partial restrictions, after which the economy would recover quickly with no lasting damage.

“We hope the contraction is temporary. In this modelling we have not tried to estimate any longer-term scarring to the economy,” said Robert Chote, the OBR’s chair.

Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, a think-tank, said: “Let's hope they are right to be as optimistic as they are about the speed of recovery once lockdown is over.” 

Even on these relatively benign assumptions, GDP would still fall by 13 per cent on an annual basis in 2020 — much more than the annual falls seen around the ends of each world war or in the financial crisis, the OBR said.

Link

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â