Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was expecting a bigger spike in recorded deaths today after the bank holiday.  Fingers crossed last week was the worst it's going to get.

I was too. Glad to see it isn’t come! 
hopefully the numbers keep going down

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

It’s the third strain of coronavirus. 

It's the third known RECENT Coronavirus transmutable to humans, it's not the third known coronavirus, there are plenty of others.

There have even been human coronaviruses that have transmuted the other way. A human one became a bovine one as far back as the 18th century

Chris Whitty said in the daily briefing that he expects daily reported deaths will go up again tomorrow. He said after the weekend numbers tend to go down for 2 days before going up again. I imagine with it being a bank holiday on Monday that is why this week it will be 3 days.

Edited by markavfc40

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That seems to make no sense at all, given that the vast majority of people smoking weed will have it combined with tobacco.

Also, there remains the theory that elements of weed are actually medicinal in nature so I don’t get it.

I am a regular user so if I suddenly stop posting perhaps it’s not total BS ;)

Smokers lungs are buggered, virus finds it hard going in smokers lungs, its not going to stop them getting it, but its unlikely to take refuge in the lungs of smokers by all accounts

Weed is also a relaxant, I wasn't saying weed smokers stand more chace of getting it but the active ingredients do not help the symptoms. Not all medicine is good medicine for your illness.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Awol said:

Just listened to the presser. He’s a big orange d*ck and as you say is trying to deflect blame, nevertheless every fact he laid out about the WHO and China was true. 

It’ll be very interesting to hear the Chinese response tomorrow! 

There is a good essay here about why the WHO was so successful with SARS but has had problems in recent times

The WHO v coronavirus: why it can't handle the pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/apr/10/world-health-organization-who-v-coronavirus-why-it-cant-handle-pandemic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Smokers lungs are buggered, virus finds it hard going in smokers lungs, its not going to stop them getting it, but its unlikely to take refuge in the lungs of smokers by all accounts

Weed is also a relaxant, I wasn't saying weed smokers stand more chace of getting it but the active ingredients do not help the symptoms. Not all medicine is good medicine for your illness.

Finally, I knew it, aside from the pure joy of smoking there’s an actual advantage to it afterall!! 

Time to invest in the tobacco sector peeps, we’ll be the only ones left! ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

I knew it. I absolutely f%%# knew it.

Every day for the last ten years I’ve been waiting to discover I’d have been better off carrying on smoking 😡

Whats next ? A virus where it turns out the only immunity is people who’ve been eating 5 cakes a day for the last ten years ?

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

To me that sounds like bs. The WHO have said smokers are at greater risk

Edited by PaulC

Just now, terrytini said:

I knew it. I absolutely f%%# knew it.

Every day for the last ten years I’ve been waiting to discover I’d have been better off carrying on smoking 😡

Whats next ? A virus where it turns out the only immunity is people who’ve been eating 5 cakes a day for the last ten years ?

Smokers and ex-smokers.

Can't stress enough there's no science on this that I can find, it's only annecdotal amongst NHS staff

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Smokers and ex-smokers.

Can't stress enough there's no science on this that I can find, it's only annecdotal amongst NHS staff

Well, if I’m lucky enough to be spared I will forever more put it down to the fags. At least it will make the thousands of pounds I wasted on them seem more justified 👍.

Pelosi on James Corden (:puke:) standing in front of her kitchen appliances (sub-zero) which cost more than a lot of Americans earn in a year. Talking about stocking up on ice cream that costs $12 a pint.

How f*^%&ng stupid and tone deaf can she be to the fact that millions are unemployed and desperate for money. There are no facepalms big enough for the Dems.

WARNING: Corden's inane arse licking may induce vomiting.

• Like 1

We've just had a famous TV and radio personality die from Covid-19 here is Sweden.

Adam Alsing, he's been around for about 30 years and is from the same city as I live in. Don't know him but I've met him a fair few times and has friends who has worked a lot with him. He was a genuinely nice guy.

He was 51. 

It's sad but if anything I hope maybe this gets people to understand this is a serious matter. So far people over here apart from those who work at hospitals and care homes seem to think it's mainly an annoyance.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'm going to suggest that smokers are actually at greater risk, whatever the anecdotal evidence. Smoking increases your susceptibility to respiratory illnesses, particularly pneumonia. The virus will find infection in smokers lungs much easier.

• Like 1

Not certain yet but looks like we've flattened out, and hospitals have announced they expect to cope. Bloody good news. It's been 5 weeks this weekend since things started closing around my area, it has actually gone quite quickly. In theory, in another 5 weeks time schools could be back open by just after mid May, along with many other non essential shops. Not over by any means, and glad I've not got a relative in a care home, but it does feel like a corner is being turned. 

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Company wide 10% pay cut until the end of the year at our place. 

Sucks. But if it keeps jobs I guess it is what it is

Sorry to hear that. 

My pay hasn't changed but I imagine there will be no bonus next year, which will hit my pocket pretty hard. Understandable though as we're likely to suffer a huge loss this year. 

Â