Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I preferred this forum when we talked about how you wipe your arse. 

I relived my youth and saw Blink-182 live in concert a few months back.

Twenty years since their iconic album, they came out said “Tonight we are gonna play this album front to back, the way it should be. And, the most hygienic way to wipe.” 😂

• Haha 1

Might be old news now, this thread moves so fast, but this is honestly **** embarrassing.

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/coronavirus-tests-germany-nhs-workers-covid-19/

The UK is sending coronavirus tests to centres in Germany because the results come back twice as fast.

It comes as a UK coronavirus test centre sat empty on Thursday with just 75 workers being screened at the drive-through centre at Chessington World of Adventures.

According to The Sun, hundreds of swabs have been shipped off to Germany for processing as the country turns results around far quicker.

Read more: What is the government's new 'five pillar' coronavirus testing strategy?

Public Health England facilities can take up to four days to process samples, compared to just one day in German labs. NHS workers then get their results two days later.

According to the report, Northampton General Hospital sent samples from 400 staff to the German labs of Eurofins Biomnis on Monday, with results being returned as soon as Wednesday.

• Like 1

In Sweden we have something called Systembolaget. It's government controlled and it's the only place where you can buy strong beer, wine and spirits. Some people dislike it but I think the good outweigh the bad as they have a fantastic selection.

But of an issue now thou because people can't plan ahead because they are morons and going into the weekend some places look like this. The queues at some places is hundreds of meters with people packed like sardines...

Det var långa köer till Systembolaget i PK-huset i Stockholm vid fredagens vinsläpp.24331dcc-17fd-4a82-b34d-1544e125b893?fit=crop&h=776&q=50&w=1100&s=6fb382aee5a0fecaca3c81cde078d21b0f070035

52 minutes ago, Awol said:

You joking? Every morning I wake up and say to the wife,  ‘what we really need now is Diane Abbott and Richard Burgon.’ 

Diane Abbott would have been running around telling people to scrap their cars to stop the car owner virus 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Awol, I'm disappointed but not surprised.

"Herd immunity" is a correct answer to the wrong question. I am certain you have seen the "flatten the curve" appeals. Both curves in these appeals have the same fraction of the population catching the virus at some stage, the difference is at what time they catch it. Herd immunity over a long horizon instead of everyone catching it at once has two crucial advantages:

1. It gives the NHS a fighting chance to stay within capacity.

2. We'll have a better understanding of this beast in six days, nevermind six weeks or six months. Flattening the curve gives time for more research into how this disease spreads, which treatments work best and, one day, maybe a vaccine. If I am going to catch it, I want it when I know there's a bed in ICU and doctors have experience on how to deal with this, based on solid international evidence. That will come with time.

Everyone knows the ultimate outcome here is herd immunity. That's not the critique of HMG's response. It's the failure to control the herd immunity that people like Jareth critique.

I see from the likes your  post has gone down well in tribal circles , but respectfully, I don’t think you’ve been following what awol said , though I appreciate he has said a lot over a lot of pages so I’m not having a go at you for missing some of it :) 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Lest we forget that a fetish retailer was supplying scrubs for the NHS this week.

Completely unacceptable. But Diane Abbott, lol.

Quoting this because even on the same page, it's sadly relevant. 

Every scrap of good news matters ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/nightingale-emergency-coronavirus-hospital-london?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Nightingale emergency coronavirus hospital may not be needed as urgently as expected 

London’s intensive care units were expected to be overflowing at this point but are only three-quarters full

• Like 1

It’s been clarified there are 500 beds in the first Nightingale with the space to go up to 3,700.

500 is better than zero, having anything is better than nothing.

I’d really really appreciate a government that doesn’t compulsively lie at what is quite a serious time.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s been clarified there are 500 beds in the first Nightingale with the space to go up to 3,700.

500 is better than zero, having anything is better than nothing.

I’d really really appreciate a government that doesn’t compulsively lie at what is quite a serious time.

If DIanne Abbott had said the same at least we all know it would be because she's genuinely shit at maths

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

Even DIanne Abbott could get closer to a realistic figure of testing in the next whatever than Hatt Mancock

Im sure HanCock is an ex project manager thats been promoted!.. 

Reminds me of 95% of project managers i've ever worked with!.. Constantly Full Of Absolute Shit!.. 

• Like 2

Â