Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't get it and I just don't see how you can become that detached from it all and that if what is happening nationally/globally isn't touching you that you don't, or won't have soon, instances in your own life that don't bring home to you how serious this all is.

It's delusion, we all do it, but this crisis has brought it to the fore, I get it, I've done it myself, but it's about time the penny dropped for literally everybody. 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

It isn’t over the top. 

Crucially many look no further than the end of their nose. Either through fear or ignorance.

Reminds me of documentaries about the USA in the war, where their soldiers were dying in droves yet back in the US people were oblivious to it.

• Like 2

Although I would say, I have a degree of understanding for those slow to grasp it, as there has been a shameful, despicable, casualness from the government here and from the Liar In Chief Over The Water.

I take no comfort from it, but history will look back at Johnson and Trump, especially Trump, as being complicit in an awful tragedy.

57 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s what I thought, all fart and no sh*t. Cheers 👍

Also, a timeline, worth looking at, and then, deciding if it's ok. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/03/coronavirus-testing-in-uk-timeline-of-ministers-mixed-messages

Three weeks ago, the World Health Organization told countries battling Covid-19 to “test, test, test” for the virus. Since then, the UK government has been accused of issuing mixed messages, of over-promising and under-delivering – the UK’s daily testing rate has only just passed 10,000.

I've just seen the updated figure of deaths in the UK and felt a huge wave of anxiety for the first time since this all began. Somebody said we're already higher than China... is that true? My girlfriend is a paramedic and has just left for her night shift. She's attending plenty of 'potential' Covid-19 cases because as soon as the caller tells the operator about any 'shortness' of breath they can't take any chances. 

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Good luck to her, I hope she's being given the right PPE. The paramedics in the East Midlands certainly aren't, it's an absolute disgrace.

I'll **** scream hearing another person praise the government's response while we still have frontline medical staff not even having masks. 

It is a disgrace and I can't see how it can be defended.

We can't be far off the point, in fact we are probably already there, where we will have instances of front line NHS staff who refuse to treat people with covid 19 symptoms unless they are given the correct PPE. Imagine doing that job, hearing daily of colleagues dying, in some cases young colleagues, and then being asked to treat and care for people but without basic PPE to protect yourself and therefore others you come into contact with and care for.

These people are well as being nurses, Drs, paramedics etc are somebodies father, mother, husband, wife, child etc. I can't put into words how mad it makes me that we are still failing to get PPE to people on the front line of all this, never mind others caring for people within NHS, in care homes and looking after people in the community etc.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MCU said:

I've just seen the updated figure of deaths in the UK and felt a huge wave of anxiety for the first time since this all began. Somebody said we're already higher than China... is that true? My girlfriend is a paramedic and has just left for her night shift. She's attending plenty of 'potential' Covid-19 cases because as soon as the caller tells the operator about any 'shortness' of breath they can't take any chances. 

I wouldn’t pay any attention to any Chinese stats, good or bad, we simply have no way of knowing what’s credible and what’s not.

There will be layers of incompetence, embarrassment, well meaning mis reporting, political games and political mischief.

By the way, they’re one of our big new hopes for prosperity, post Brexit.

22 minutes ago, MCU said:

Somebody said we're already higher than China... is that true? 

I wouldn't believe the figures coming out of China to be honest. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Happy to disagree but instead of snide pot shots, why not explain what the alternative to herd immunity is? You clearly think there is one so why not share? 

@Jareth in your own time mate, a Nobel Prize awaits. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Imagine a firefighter going to a house fire and not having the correct equipment. Or a police officer sent to arrest a violent criminal without the right equipment.

These people chose a profession to care for and look after the rest of us. And we can't even make sure they can do their job properly. 

We send our armed forces to war with inadequate equipment. We have form for it.

• Like 4

The BBC are running this story

Coronavirus: How NHS Nightingale was built in just nine days

It's entirely misleading - I mean it was incredible logistics to get it set up (thanks Army), but they are couching it in the same terms as the hospitals which were built in Wuhan, literally from the ground up. The other day we had a nurse on TV selling this exact line - she clearly had PR training - but it's another example of spin, at a time of crisis. How can this go on?

• Like 3

Just now, Jareth said:

If you have to quote yourself, AND bold it. Well....

Meeting questions with deflection and answers with insults. You’re pretty good at this trolling business. 

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Look! In just 9 days, we’ve taken this open plan conference centre and added some temporary non load bearing partition!

Just like they do for, er, conferences.

It’s well meaning re assurance for people that like stuff written on buses.

Yeah!*

*Also the 4000 people who’ll be on life support in there by the end of next week... but Brexit! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Meeting questions with deflection and answers with insults. You’re pretty good at this trolling business. 

I don't mean to be a troll, but it's a dumb question, it really, truly is - asking someone to dispute an established theory - I would not choose that path, but you think it's fab - albeit 36 year old nurses with no underlying conditions die. When the WHO suggest we test, test, test, it is somehow OK that we in Britain, perhaps under cover of exceptionalism reject that. I just do not understand how the current leaders can be excused given what has happened and how predictable it all was - like completely predictable given Italy. 

• Like 1

Â