Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

But what's the relevancy of Diane Abbott in this crisis?

She's a cheap, easy target IMO. Even when making a joke at her expense isn't relevant in the slightest.

Exactly. It's classic whataboutery. Like Republicans responding to criticisms of Trump by going on about Hilary Clinton. Utterly irrelevant deflection from the real issue. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Oh FFS. @foreveryoung commented that he wasn’t sure Labour would be doing any better dealing with COVID if they were in government now. I replied with a joke about Abbott and Burgon who would have been senior ministers in such a government. 

And I agree - Labour would have struggled every bit as much as the Tories, probably more so. Ten years of Tory destruction of our public services and a sabotage campaign by the Murdoch press would have guaranteed it. But I'm not sure that Corbyn, Abbott and Burgon would actually be any more incompetent and dishonest than Johnson, Hancock, Patel and Raab (although we'd have all been told to believe they were). As I said above, it's all whataboutery. It's irrelevant. We're in a crisis, we have to get behind the government we've got and leave off the party fighting - for now. But there's going to have to be a reckoning somewhere down the line. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And I agree - Labour would have struggled every bit as much as the Tories, probably more so. Ten years of Tory destruction of our public services and a sabotage campaign by the Murdoch press would have guaranteed it. But I'm not sure that Corbyn, Abbott and Burgon would actually be any more incompetent and dishonest than Johnson, Hancock, Patel and Raab (although we'd have all been told to believe they were). As I said above, it's all whataboutery. It's irrelevant. We're in a crisis, we have to get behind the government we've got and leave off the party fighting - for now. But there's going to have to be a reckoning somewhere down the line. 

I agree with elements of your post ..

but , ultimately Abbott is now  a red herring in some good old fashioned VT partisanship in all honesty ... the thread is quite clear in how it progressed to Abbott , some people gave the posts concerned likes , some people used it as an exercise to go on the offensive because it was deemed to not being holding the government to account ,  respectfully those people missed the point and it seems cba to read the subsequent follow up posts stating their case

either way , it’s probably time to move it back more towards the Chinese virus ...

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Yeah, I’ll not be doing that... 

I'd never agreed with something being called "virtue signalling" before this clap on your doorstep bollocks started.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd never agreed with something being called "virtue signalling" before this clap on your doorstep bollocks started.

See I don’t mind show of support for the NHS and other healthcare workers. But then people always jump on stuff and take it too far. It reminds of me of the applause at certain points during a football match (remember them?), where do you draw the line. Before we know it everyone’s scheduled to stand outside clapping for 96 hours solid. 

It dilutes the original intention. 

Edited by It's Your Round

I would imagine that Boris's mild symptoms will continue for as long as is possible - it gives Cummings and co the opportunity to completely manage his presence through this - no direct questions, no awkward opportunities for him to faff it up in front of cameras and possibly even a little sympathy from the nation. It's a dream come true for the floppy haired tyro and his handlers.

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I’m inclined to agree with you ... and I’m sure there is an element of doing it for Facebook likes 

but ,  I also believe the intentions were good even though misguided ... if they want to involve their kids and the neighbours kids in something that binds them as a community then , sure go for it , I won’t be joining you , but if it means that people end up knowing the names of their neighbours and people carry this new sprit of friendship beyond September then I’m all for it .

• Like 3

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-south-korea-has-done-correctly-in-battling-covid-19

The difference between USA approach and that of South Korea.

• The United States is reporting 15 times more confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths than South Korea despite having only about six times the population.
Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would imagine that Boris's mild symptoms will continue for as long as is possible - it gives Cummings and co the opportunity to completely manage his presence through this - no direct questions, no awkward opportunities for him to faff it up in front of cameras and possibly even a little sympathy from the nation. It's a dream come true for the floppy haired tyro and his handlers.

Someone ( might even have been you ) used this line before ... I dunno , I saw the images of Boris and he looks in a bad way with his mild symptoms, compared to some others ....I’d be amazed if they are faking it personally 

I also wonder if we will have a show of faux outrage at such a post.

Just now, terrytini said:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-south-korea-has-done-correctly-in-battling-covid-19

The difference between USA approach and that of South Korea.

• The United States is reporting 15 times more confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths than South Korea despite having only about six times the population.

Yes South Korea is the model country in all of this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m inclined to agree with you ... and I’m sure there is an element of doing it for Facebook likes 

but ,  I also believe the intentions were good even though misguided ... if they want to involve their kids and the neighbours kids in something that binds them as a community then , sure go for it , I won’t be joining you , but if it means that people end up knowing the names of their neighbours and people carry this new sprit of friendship beyond September then I’m all for it .

I won’t be clapping on the doorstep anytime soon. But good luck to ‘em. 

There was a definite mixed message the other day when I was out for my allocated walk exercise. Some kid had coloured a great big rainbow and stuck it in the window of a house. As you are now obliged to do if you have proven yourself fertile. The artwork filled the whole bay window.

One side, was a picture of Skeletor. Then a giant childish rainbow. At the end of the rainbow in the other window, a skull and cross bones.

I could picture the parents trying to keep the artwork within the original brief as little ifor was adding the stuff he wanted displayed.

• Haha 4

Â