Generic Virus Thread

villakram

26 minutes ago, Awol said:

As predicted Americans are told they should all wear masks in public. Interesting to see how long PHE holds out for against this obviously correct advice.

Trump says scarves are better than masks so it should be no problem. 

Mocking ministers feels wrong, mostly because their incompetence is a deadly serious matter, they are costing lives. It’s scandal after scandal, not joining the eu ventilator scheme had cost us thousands of life saving machines. They also LIED about that too. And why? Cos Brexit. I voted out but if this crisis delays Brexit and ultimately installs a new government then that would be fine.

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

So we can't mock Hatt Mancock? Have a word with yourself. Somebody should tell HIGNFY and all the other political satire programmes to stop immediately, it's just not right to mock poiticians, whatever next seriously?

I agree with you. But I also agree with the original point. I don't think mocking a politician, that has nothing to do with this, as a way to defend the indefensible is right. 

Edited by DCJonah

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree with you. But I also agree with the original point. I don't think mocking a politician that has nothing to do with this as a way to defend the indefensible is right. 

It wasn’t to defend the Tories, it was mock Diane Abbott. I don’t need a reason to do that. 

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

It wasn’t to defend the Tories, it was mock Diane Abbott. I don’t need a reason to do that. 

Easy target isn’t she? Doesn’t much matter that Boris is literally facilitating death, as that is less cliche. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Transition can be extended for 2 years. If current lot fall then all bets are off. 

And it probably will be extended. It's still already happened though.

Edited by ml1dch

15 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

And it probably will be extended. It's still already happened though.

As I mentioned, I voted out, but if this goes worse than Italy, I cannot see how Johnson survives. There's already speculation that he wants Starmer (when eventually announced) to join a national unity government - if only to dilute the blame. 

34 minutes ago, Awol said:

Or in my case it was mock Hatt Mancock via Dianne Abbott BOGOF!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

As I mentioned, I voted out, but if this goes worse than Italy, I cannot see how Johnson survives. There's already speculation that he wants Starmer (when eventually announced) to join a national unity government - if only to dilute the blame. 

Whilst we are still in the transition period and thus the process of Brexit is still happening, the event of the UK ceasing to be a member state has happened.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Whilst we are still in the transition period and thus the process of Brexit is still happening, the event of the UK ceasing to be a member state has happened.

If there's time and space to negotiate then absolutely - if there is not, due to a pandemic, then I personally would not be so certain. Gaming it out, if the current government falls, because 1000 people per day are dying and they could have helped prevent that, and you have a Europhile like Starmer in the ascendancy - then it's looking a bit cloudy. If that guy gets in power, Brexit won't happen, regardless of what's happened so far. But for sure, we have Johnson right now, so I'll wait and see. 

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Would be a pretty good move. Either kill the momentum of the new leader opposition by dragging him on to their side for a few months, or be able to spend the next few years being able to remind the public that he refused to put politics aside during a crisis.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If that guy gets in power, Brexit won't happen, regardless of what's happened so far. But for sure, we have Johnson right now, so I'll wait and see. 

Obviously lots of things in politics deal in shades of grey, but this is a black and white issue. 

Brexit has happened. There is literally nothing that can happen in domestic or global politics that can change that indisputable fact. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If there's time and space to negotiate then absolutely - if there is not, due to a pandemic, then I personally would not be so certain.

You wouldn't be certain of what?

Can we just make sure that we are talking about the same thing here:

The UK ceased to be a member state of the EU on January 31st 2020.

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You wouldn't be certain of what?

Can we just make sure that we are talking about the same thing here:

The UK ceased to be a member state of the EU on January 31st 2020.

Transition can be up to 2 years, politicians always play for time. If the entire political landscape changes due to the virus, I would not be certain of anything. When Brexit is more important than joining a scheme for ventilators - it doesn't exactly help the cause. Doesn't change the facts you state - but who on earth feels like things have not changed dramatically and the eventual outcome of this change is not yet known? 

Edited by Jareth

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Transition can be up to 2 years, politicians always play for time. If the entire political landscape changes due to the virus, I would not be certain of anything. When Brexit is more important than joining a scheme for ventilators - it doesn't exactly help the cause. Doesn't change the facts you state - but who on earth feels like things have not changed dramatically and the eventual outcome of this change is not yet known? 

I'm sorry but you aren't making much sense.

You accept that things, which have happened, have happpened and yet you argue that an uncertain future means that they may not have happened?

Otherwise, it seems that you are confused about what the transition is. The transition period is not just a further extension of the A50 process. The A50 process is complete.

You may be arguing that during the transition period, political will in the UK (and EU) may change and the UK may want to become a member of the EU again but that would be a matter of the UK seeking to rejoin the EU which is a vastly different thing to saying that the event of the UK no longer being a member state, which has happened, wouldn't happen or wouldn't have happened.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â