Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I guess the question is, How did you ‘stumble’ across this? 

Tragic mix up a few years ago when my Glamorgan Sausage Dog Club met up with them for a get together.

It’s an annual event now.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

An email got sent round all the staff, including clerical, at my missus' NHS Trust today asking for voluteers to do overtime swabbing potential CoVID-19 infectees.

They were paying basic overtime (Everyone said F*** that)

This work needed to be done "initially" out of normal hours, i.e. you still need to do your normal shifts

And here's the kicker, they needed to volunteer quickly as the teams needed to be up and running NEXT WEEK

Also everyone needed to be up to speed quickly on the BioHazard Suits and the swabbing procedure i.e. traing required quickly.

That's rubbish - Boris has just been TV saying the NHS is well prepared.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Tayls said:

so do we all think this is pretty much it for us? this is gonna wipe out millions and millions....

My guess is probably thousands (UK) 

The warmer weather and hopefully the thing will get less aggressive as it's passed on.

The above are based on my previous knowledge - which is feck all !!!

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Way back when I was a teenager I read an Edwardian ‘sci fi’ book of short stories. One of them basically had that as the storyline, we were wrecking the earth and the earth was reacting to try and get rid of us.

Do you have any idea of the name of the book or the story by any chance? I'm interested in stories with this theme at the moment.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you have any idea of the name of the book or the story by any chance? I'm interested in stories with this theme at the moment.

Oh lordie, no I’ll have a think but it was literally decades ago. I took it out of the mobile library and loved it. Had another story where a guy was in a canal or a stream or a tunnel and stuff kept attacking him and he kept fighting them off but more and more kept coming. Turned out he had a moment of self realisation where he was a bug or a virus and the attackers were blood cells and it was a blood stream. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

The warmer weather and hopefully the thing will get less aggressive as it's passed on.

Posted this before, but the last corona virus called MERS came out of the Middle East, which is stick your head in the oven hot. 

Not sure just because flu dies off in warmer weather that this one will too. People keep saying it will, but no one mentions MERS. It’s weird. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I sometimes wonder if we humans are the disease, and viruses and climate catastrophes are the earth's antibodies and defences against us. 

Early post of the year candidate

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Awol said:

Posted this before, but the last corona virus called MERS came out of the Middle East, which is stick your head in the oven hot. 

Not sure just because flu dies off in warmer weather that this one will too. People keep saying it will, but no one mentions MERS. It’s weird. 

I seem to recall in one of John Campbell's videos he made the point that the virus seems to be spreading okay in Hong Kong and Singapore, both of which are pretty warm at this time of year, though looking at the numbers on the Worldometer site they don't seem to be having all that many new cases compared to the big centres.

Interestingly, that site now has several countries marked as having resolved all their coronavirus cases, at least at the current time. Countries that are claiming they have no active cases are Vietnam, Cambodia, Nepal and Sri Lanka, at least two of which are 'hot' countries (with Vietnam it depends what part of the country the sufferers were in).

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It won't be the same book but Dean Koontz' book from 1981 is getting some press/social media whoring. 

Screenshot-2020-02-18-at-2.22.50-PM.png

Also, Sylvia Brown's prediction from 2009

coronavirus-prediction-sylvia-brown-end-

I think some people have lumped them together as if it's from one book. 

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Is there consensus on the idea of warmer weather halting the spread of this virus?

You tend to sneeze more in the wet and cold - So it could reduce in that respect - whether the virus dies or thrives in warmer weather isn't known IMO.

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

It won't be the same book but Dean Koontz' book from 1981 is getting some press/social media whoring. 

Screenshot-2020-02-18-at-2.22.50-PM.png

Also, Sylvia Brown's prediction from 2009

coronavirus-prediction-sylvia-brown-end-

I think some people have lumped them together as if it's from one book. 

I love stuff like that. 

It's the very definition of infinity.  And I'm sure Koontz was just a monkey with a typewriter too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

And I'm sure Koontz was just a monkey with a typewriter too. 

Yeah this. There are so many stories written and books published that eventually something turns out correct.

It's like when you hear of people who dreamt that 9/11 would happen or something. 

There are 7 billion people around, it's not that surprising that one of them had a dream about something that happened.

Not that this stuff isn't really interesting. It's still cool and surprising that Koontz "predicted" it. But there's no sort of crazy prediction going on

The viral outbreak in China trope have been used in tons of horror and end of days stories over the years.

Contagion and World War Z from the top of my head but I'm sure I've seen and read more (The show Kingdom is South Korea as is the movies Flu and Train to Busan so not quite)

Â