Generic Virus Thread

villakram

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Rather than the total number of infections it would be useful to know number of current infections. I'd assume a lot of 80,000 or so infected in China have shaken it off by now?

Same in the UK, the media are fixed on total number... how many of the 40 total currently have it?

I follow this site, they have a total recoveries as well as infected. Although the numbers are of course ball park and not the actual numbers.

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSS
Total Confirmed 89,198
Total Deaths 3,048

Total Recovered 45,175

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

I follow this site, they have a total recoveries as well as infected. Although the numbers are of course ball park and not the actual numbers.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Thanks, this is more important (or just as important) isn't it. If the total number infected at a given time is progressively falling then its good news.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Thanks, this is more important (or just as important) isn't it. If the total number infected at a given time is progressively falling then its good news.

Those figures don't tell you that do they ?

Roughly 90k infected overall - with 45k recovered 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Those figures don't tell you that do they ?

Roughly 90k infected overall - with 45k recovered 

Yeah, so currently 45,000 infected. If next week there's 100k lifetime infected, but 65k recovered its good news despite the fact that the total number infected has risen.

Edited by Genie

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

I am 56 with controlled Asthma - I don't consider myself elderly or sick. Nor I would imagine do a lot of people with Asthma.

I work with a lot of people my age - most of us have some illness - but we still go on leading normal lives - personally I don't think 'Healthy' or 'Sick' has been defined.  

Maybe I'm not adding anything you don't know here, but there are different strands of this pulling in different directions. The total morbidity for people in their 50s, as you said, seems to be around 1%. As an asthma sufferer, you have something called a 'co-morbidity', i.e. a condition that increases (somewhat) your risk from the illness. As someone who lives in a country with a (comparatively) decent healthcare system, this will somewhat reduce the risk. All sorts of different factors combine to affect someone's personal chance of catching the illness and of dying from it, including occupation, co-morbidities, personal hygiene, the quality of healthcare available, etc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe I'm not adding anything you don't know here, but there are different strands of this pulling in different directions. The total morbidity for people in their 50s, as you said, seems to be around 1%. As an asthma sufferer, you have something called a 'co-morbidity', i.e. a condition that increases (somewhat) your risk from the illness. As someone who lives in a country with a (comparatively) decent healthcare system, this will somewhat reduce the risk. All sorts of different factors combine to affect someone's personal chance of catching the illness and of dying from it, including occupation, co-morbidities, personal hygiene, the quality of healthcare available, etc. 

Yeah - who had thought Scott Hogan would Score 6 in 7 ? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

The problem isn't that we think this is a super deadly disease. It's not Ebola.

The problem is that this is a new disease that we have no ability to combat directly and isn't one we've encountered before. This means there's considerable risk that it will affect more people more severely than if it were simply a flu outbreak, meaning it'll kill more people than otherwise might be expected. It also seems to be very infectious - for a disease with 1 point of origin it appears to be able to spread very well, even within the context of flu type viruses generally (which spread effectively anyway) with the only particularly effective way of cutting it's infection rate basically being to fully isolate those infected. This again means it's likely to make a lot of people ill in short order, and that is a problem in itself. We struggle to deal with 'normal' winter ill health, adding in thousands of severely ill (people requiring respirators etc) people at once will bring the system to it's knees - it's not meant to cope with that scale of incident.

There's also the concern that, as a new virus with an animal origin that is also very infectious, it may mutate. It might change to become something more deadly, or to cause more long term impacts. It might go from being a nasty flu virus into a full on respiratory failure in healthy individuals kinda thing. We don't know, because it's so new to us.

Let's not forget, a relatively common form of the flu virus caused a global pandemic that killed tens of millions of people when a particularly nasty strain of it appeared in 1918. This isn't a common virus. It's new. In 2009 the swine flu outbreak infected over 10% of the world when a grim mix of common flu viruses mixed again with a pig flu virus and nobody had any defence against it. If this mixes with a flu virus, **** knows what could happen. Best case scenario this burns out and goes away. Worst case it goes nasty. Most likely we've got a new flu virus that isn't going away and is nastier than usual.

Doesn't that go for a whole ton of flu viruses though? I thought they found new ones all the time? 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Doesn't that go for a whole ton of flu viruses though? I thought they found new ones all the time? 

My understanding is that although Corona V gives flu like symptoms - clinically it behaves very different to flu. 

It is from the Corona family of viruses not the flu family.

47 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It isn't a flu virus.

It's from the same family tree but isn't the same.

The flu viruses do change and nastier versions of them do arise, but they fundamentally remain flu viruses. We don't know what this virus could do, and while it seems to cause similar symptoms to flu it also seems to cause much more severe complications much more readily than normal flu viruses. 

Even if it ultimately does just become 'another bad flu bug you might get at some point in your life', we'd rather not have another flu style virus doing the rounds.

I have to admit to briefly thinking it was quite fitting when there was some discussion that the virus may have jumped to humans from bats via pangolins. As one of the most poached animals on the planet it would seem fair for the pangolin to have a hand in getting some some payback.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I sometimes wonder if we humans are the disease, and viruses and climate catastrophes are the earth's antibodies and defences against us. 

Way back when I was a teenager I read an Edwardian ‘sci fi’ book of short stories. One of them basically had that as the storyline, we were wrecking the earth and the earth was reacting to try and get rid of us.

• Like 1

An email got sent round all the staff, including clerical, at my missus' NHS Trust today asking for voluteers to do overtime swabbing potential CoVID-19 infectees.

They were paying basic overtime (Everyone said F*** that)

This work needed to be done "initially" out of normal hours, i.e. you still need to do your normal shifts

And here's the kicker, they needed to volunteer quickly as the teams needed to be up and running NEXT WEEK

Also everyone needed to be up to speed quickly on the BioHazard Suits and the swabbing procedure i.e. traing required quickly.

Â