Generic Virus Thread

villakram

When I was at uni in the early 70s I did geography as a subsid, and one of my lecturers was obsessed with end-of-the-world scenarios. He actually got interviewed on Radio 4 about it. He was convinced that, given the likelihood of one or more of the following - nuclear war, nuclear accidents, manmade climate change (either global warming or new ice age) or pandemics - human civilisation had little chance of surviving beyond the year 2040 (possibly sooner). 

I think he's dead now. 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm just surprised there wasn't a Simpsons episode on it.

Japan, but still.

Bildresultat för Osaka Flu gifBildresultat för Osaka Flu gif

There is also one where Bart get's sick with the "Panda virus after being bitten by a mosquito hidden in a Krusty doll shipped from China :D 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Think 12 have recovered.

According to the site @sne quoted before currently 80.1k total cases, but more than half (47.3k) recovered. Obviusly its a problem that needs to be seriously dealt with but I can't help but think its not being reported properly. Most people seem to think getting it is a death sentence.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

According to the site @sne quoted before currently 80.1k total cases, but more than half (47.3k) recovered. Obviusly its a problem that needs to be seriously dealt with but I can't help but think its not being reported properly. Most people seem to think getting it is a death sentence.

I don't think anyone really knows. It certainly seems infectious - and it isn't only the deaths - 5% of those infected need hospital treatment  - so you can how quickly that would ramp up.

I think a lot of the doomsday scenarios won't come to pass - but equally I wouldn't say its a lot of fuss about nothing.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

spacer.png

Middle of Feb there were about 6 or 7 times more people infected than cured.

Today more than half of the total infected are cured.

It seems like its coming under some kind of control which is great news and the actions being taken are working.

What I expect to keep being reported is the total number of infections, and a big fanfare when it hits 100k (even if 70,000 of them are cured by that point).

Edited by Genie

Looks to me like we seem to be losing control of the spread at the moment... 

Various things will come into affect - school closures etc. Businesses are starting to hold serious discussions about contingency plans etc. 

I'm a massive hypochondriac anyway, so fearing the worst. Ironically I feel rough and have a cold, but haven't done anything about it... 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Looks to me like we seem to be losing control of the spread at the moment... 

Various things will come into affect - school closures etc. Businesses are starting to hold serious discussions about contingency plans etc. 

I'm a massive hypochondriac anyway, so fearing the worst. Ironically I feel rough and have a cold, but haven't done anything about it... 

The interpretation I am getting is that they are estimating when the number of infections will peak - and then just before we hit this figure - they will slam the brakes on - shut downs, lock downs  -  Sort of makes sense - although not totally sure why !!!!!

I am washing my hands more - but other than that life as normal.  - You could sit in your house 6.5 days a week - and on that half day you pop to the shops touch a hand rail or something - hopefully the thing will weaken the more it gets transmitted. 

7 hours ago, Wezbid said:

It won't be the same book but Dean Koontz' book from 1981 is getting some press/social media whoring. 

Screenshot-2020-02-18-at-2.22.50-PM.png

The writing on that page is terrible. Dot point after dot point on facts about a made up virus, Steve Bruce would be proud of that effort. If the rest of that book is in the same vein I can understand why it’s only now getting any publicity.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It will be 80k ‘reported’ cases but if you get sick and just stay home you will not be in the stats. Plenty of people will just stay in bed and self medicate, especially in China where the hospitals are full and everything is on lockdown. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

It will be 80k ‘reported’ cases but if you get sick and just stay home you will not be in the stats. Plenty of people will just stay in bed and self medicate, especially in China where the hospitals are full and everything is on lockdown. 

Every cloud ! 

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The figure of confirmed cases is likely to be substantially higher, maybe even by a factor of 2/3/4x, especially as 80% of people on have "mild symptoms" and it doesn't appears to hit children hard at all. 

My children are basically walking diseases anyway. They always have coughs, colds etc. 

Edited by pas5898

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The writing on that page is terrible. Dot point after dot point on facts about a made up virus, Steve Bruce would be proud of that effort. If the rest of that book is in the same vein I can understand why it’s only now getting any publicity.

Koontz is widely regarded as a poor man's Stephen King. I tried just one of his novels and couldn't get through it. 

Â