Generic Virus Thread

villakram

40 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

What will a lockdown mean? I know that it will most likely mean non-essential shops but what about offices?

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's a good question. It's horribly complicated.

As an example I'm still having to go to work. Our Co. supports the military in all sorts of ways. Some of it is direct support to keep the RAF flying, say. We still need helicopters, RAF planes to be operational. But another part of it is developing improvements, modifications, upgrades, new planes etc. If we say the people repairing, servicing etc. the aircraft are essential, but then they go off sick - do people developing modifications or whatever step across? And what about the payroll staff, the purchasing staff, security, MoD liaison...all kinds. Some can WFH of course, but the computer systems are segregated from the normal internet for security reasons. What about the computer menders...the cleaners, the cooks? People who write technical publications or people who do safety tasks? It's an endless conundrum.

I know some people think we're all amoral murdering scum, with no consciences, but even us "warmongers" need to be categorised one way or the other.

In answer to my own question apparently after I left at 4pm the unofficial HR woman in my office has told everyone that tonight's announcement will not have any effect on us and it will be business as usual tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Seeing some schools not expecting staff to come in if it means sending their own kids into a different school. 

Might plead with my head teacher if it's something I can do. 

Hopefully you won't have to plead with them. A lot of teachers will understandably want their own children close at a time like this and doesn't seem too much of an ask to accommodate that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Hopefully you won't have to plead with them. A lot of teachers will understandably want their own children close at a time like this and doesn't seem too much of an ask to accommodate that.

Hopefully

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Again, that's worrying to me. It doesn't appear like this has gone through trials or proper clinical tests and it just seems like the next rushed step which will have everyone clamouring to proclaim it a done thing before those trials and tests have been done.

I really hope that this ends up working and working to the level that people are being made to believe it willl because if it doesn't work to that level or, worse still, it causes issues that they haven't taken the time to consider then it will have the effect of people being less than willing to take the next magic bullet (whether it be for this or for something else) and being less trusting in medical authorities.

From that notice, though, the advisory says as prophylaxis for high-risk asymptomatic people and also the intake of the medicine should not instil a sense of false security.

It’s an odd one. They appear to be doing what the Oxford Uni trial is planning to do - ie; give it to health workers as a preventative measure, rather than using it to treat patients, but without the ‘trial’ bit. I agree that’s not only a bit of a worry, but how will they track effectiveness/issues? As you say, it’s very much just a ‘crack on lads’, which is a bit of a concern.

NYC to start trial tomorrow according to Cuomo - that’s patient treatment, not preventative from what I’ve seen 

Interesting that there appears to be two schools of thought on it, both as a treatment and a prophylactic.

I’m torn on it to be honest. A massive part of me obviously wants it to be true, the mere possibility of having a treatment readily available that could save (a potentially untold amount of) lives is an amazing prospect, but it has to controlled, until they are as certain as they can be that it both works, and is unlikely to cause other harm. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

Just now, leemond2008 said:

Apparently I'm classed as a Key Worker because I work in a motor insurance injury department.

Does that sound right to anyone else?

Nope, that is taking the definition of "Transportation" too far

11 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Rumour mill is saying police and army being briefed for a lockdown

2 grand fine for anyone outside their home without a valid reason

Guess we'll find out in an hours time

Don’t worry about the fine, should deny them and their family access to NHS treatment if they need. That should help focus the minds of the selfish.

59 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just spoke to my mom who has symptoms and she was really short of breath, I told her to phone 111 but she is adamant she isn't going to bother the health services unless it hasn't shifted by the weekend. She is 63 and said she has only been displaying symptoms for 2 days. 

What's worse is that my sister has leukemia and her son has mental health issues, so in order to give my sister a break Mom and my sister basically share custody and have him for 4 days each. 

This has to stop clearly, but my mom is now unsure if it's best he stays with her (who is displaying symptoms), or my sister who is equally high risk. 

Thoughts are with you mate , let’s hope things work out well 

Government website says

Utilities, communication and financial services

This includes staff needed for essential financial services provision (including but not limited to workers in banks, building societies and financial market infrastructure), the oil, gas, electricity and water sectors (including sewerage), information technology and data infrastructure sector and primary industry supplies to continue during the COVID-19 response, as well as key staff working in the civil nuclear, chemicals, telecommunications (including but not limited to network operations, field engineering, call centre staff, IT and data infrastructure, 999 and 111 critical services), postal services and delivery, payments providers and waste disposal sectors.

I'm guessing that is what they would try and lump motor insurance in with...I dunno, if that is the case then so be it, I'll be kicking off daily about it until they sort out the homeworking for us though.

Edited by blandy
added link

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

Government website says

I'm guessing that is what they would try and lump motor insurance in with...I dunno, if that is the case then so be it, I'll be kicking off daily about it until they sort out the homeworking for us though.

Problem seems to be more with your employer rather than government. They seem to be way behind the times with home working. 

Â