Generic Virus Thread

villakram

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He said if you go out for walk maximum of two people unless part of same family who live together. No going to visit friends or family. How does that fit in if you are having to go to work in an office with tens of other people? 

Is there anything you do in your office that is a critical part of your job that you could not do at home?

Im in a factory producing cars ......

33 minutes ago, Awol said:

Disagree, people need the space to breathe and exercising once a day is fine, so long as people respect social distancing. I take my kids down the (quiet) beach every day, they need to burn off some energy. 

People need to get out and buy food, especially if they’ve been shamed into not stocking their cupboards up before now. 

Interestingly they don’t yet have the legislation on the books to enforce this in Scotland, should be done later this week. For now the police can only give you ‘strong advice’. The local divs will still push it for as long as they legally can. 

I agree too, I’ve been taking the dog and the kids round the block every day for fresh air and exercise. Nothing more. My concern is that some people will carry on as normal taking in the tourist sites, but make excuse its their daily stroll. We’ll see, I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Im in a factory producing cars ......

Sorry mate misunderstood. I am surprised they haven't decided to close. It can't be right to be going into a factory with tens/hundreds of other people. Your health and that of your family needs to be your priority. If your job was in anyway essential I wouldn't say this but if I was you I'd be tempted to say you have to self isolate for 14 days and I'd be pretty confident by the time those 14 days are over your firm will have had a change of heart/been forced into changing their decision and you won't be expected to go in.

• Like 1

"Essential work" is too vague. 

I guarantee my workplace will say work is essential. Won't matter for me as I can wfh. But people on the shop floor will have to work. I bet.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

"Essential work" is too vague. 

I guarantee my workplace will say work is essential. Won't matter for me as I can wfh. But people on the shop floor will have to work. I bet.

I'm sure we have a special offer flyer with the word "essential" on it next to some Gripfill.

Somewhere in an office a suit is pointing at it whilst shouting "look, it's in the constitution"

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is travel to work for essential work and only if that work cannot be done at home. If you can do at home what you can do in the office then you should be working from home. 

well if you class dealing with injury claims as essential work? and it can all be done at home but they haven't done sweet F.A. to sort it out for us, so yeah I could work from home but I can't.

Our manager has sent a message around saying "following the PM's announcement our position hasn't remains the same, if anything changes by tomorrow morning I will let you know"

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

well if you class dealing with injury claims as essential work? and it can all be done at home but they haven't done sweet F.A. to sort it out for us, so yeah I could work from home but I can't.

Our manager has sent a message around saying "following the PM's announcement our position hasn't remains the same, if anything changes by tomorrow morning I will let you know"

They are going against government instructions then. Your work may be essential but it can be done from home so you must do it from home. I am a highways maintenance engineer. My job is classed as essential but what I was doing in the office I am now doing from home. 

14 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm only guessing but I think they might find that the position changes whether they do or not.

If the work can be done from home (that's not whether they have sorted it out so that it will be able to be done from home) then the journey in to an office is not essential.

I'd think this may be made clear to them when the Coronavirus Bill becomes law in the next day or so. Let's hope it isn't made clear to them via the action taken against their employees.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

I'm only guessing but I think they might find that the position changes whether they do or not.

If the work can be done from home (that's not whether they have sorted it out so that it will be able to be done from home) then the journey in to an office is not essential.

I'd think this may be made to clear to them when the Coronavirus Bill becomes law in the next day or so. Let's hope it isn't made clear to them via the action taken against their employees.

I would love to see action taken against them, its not like they couldn't afford it and they prioritize making a few quid over their staff.

Last year people were literally passing out in the office in the middle of the summer when the aircon was broke for 8 weeks, temperature in the office hit 39° nearly everyday, they got these great big air con units which made the whole office damp and all they did was come round once a day with an icelol.

I actually got sent home the one day because I was struggling to breathe (suffering from thunderfever on that day as well) and the cheeky **** made me take it as sick leave.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

I would love to see action taken against them, its not like they couldn't afford it and they prioritize making a few quid over their staff.

Last year people were literally passing out in the office in the middle of the summer when the aircon was broke for 8 weeks, temperature in the office hit 39° nearly everyday, they got these great big air con units which made the whole office damp and all they did was come round once a day with an icelol.

I actually got sent home the one day because I was struggling to breathe (suffering from thunderfever on that day as well) and the cheeky **** made me take it as sick leave.

It sounds like you need some unionisation. ;)

I guess we'll have to wait until the Government publish exactly what they intend to do to 'enforce' the measures they've announced - whether they'll take action against companies for demanding that employees go in (and not furloughing them or arranging for them to work from home) or against the employees (for flouting the instructions about essential travel).

If I were in Government I’d be telling non essential industries, “ we will bail you out but do the work we want, or provide staff for the work we want doing”........and I’d be telling - or asking, or incentivising, their staff the same.

Unless we get lucky we will soon be in a position of having millions of healthy workers sat idle, being partly paid by the State, while the essential industries of Food, Health, Transport, Care, Utilities and Emergency Services could at times be up to 40% down in numbers.

If it’s a War, they can consider conscription ! 

According to the Beeb:

All shops selling non-essential goods will be closed immediately as the government imposes tougher controls to try and fight the coronavirus.

The shutdown will include clothing and electronic shops and other premises such as chocolate and book chains.

However, shops which sell essential items, such as supermarkets and pharmacies, will remain open.

Only a small group of retailers will be allowed to stay open including:

Supermarkets

Pharmacies

Newsagents

Hardware stores

Banks

Pet shops

Post Offices

Petrol stations

Vets

Retail shops in hospitals

Laundrettes

Funeral homes

However, retailers will still be able to take online orders and deliver items to your home.

...more

Edited by snowychap

Just now, leemond2008 said:

I hope I get pulled and fined by a copper on my way to work tomorrow

From what I read on either the Beeb/Grauniad explainer, the police are not going to be fining initially but trying to police by consent, i.e. telling people what complies and doesn't.

If that's the case then the best thing would be to get stopped by the police and informed that they don't view it as essential. This might then be taken up with your employers by a senior copper.

23 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

That can't be true surely? Otherwise all the 10's of thousands of people cured in China would be now infecting people en masse

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-can-live-in-your-body-for-up-to-37-days-according-to-new-study/

It’s a small study published in the lancet

Â