Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Bone head move of the day by SL the company that handles public transportation in Stockholm.

Our prime minister held a televised speech to the nation last night about the importance of social distancing and so on. So what does SL do today? 

They cancel 25% of their regular traffic in the subway and with buses so that even with a lot of people working from home the public transportation in Stockholm is more crowded than ever before. People were pretty much standing on top of each other.

They canceled the departures because of them having drivers who were sick but they did not  use their temp pool of drivers sitting at home not working.

• Sad 1

We’ll never know the answer, but I wonder what would have happened had we locked down 10 days ago when Italy and Spain did. Well ahead of our own personal curve we’d be much better off? Our strategy seems to be to do what they have done, at the same point in the epidemic as them, but get a better result.

Edited by Genie

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ll never know the answer, but I wonder what would have happened had we locked down 10 days ago when Italy and Spain did. Well ahead of our own personal curve we’d be much better off? Our strategy seems to be to do what they have done, at the same point in the epidemic as them, but get a better result.

Every nation should have gone to lock down the moment they did. The virus still would have spread, but it would have been a lot less of an impact. 

• Like 1

It's just hit me that it's my birthday friday and I will have absolute f**k all to do... especially on if we on lockdown by then... I did think a supermarket sweep style shopping trip... but not much fun when the the shelves are bare! 

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Seems more and more like it was the right thing to do. 

I'm sure the government wanted the economy to keep going as long as possible. Which I guess you can understand to a certain extent. But at the expense of lives? **** that

Plus I bet it's around far longer now which will be more damaging in the long run.

• Like 1

UK had 71 die yesterday, Germany have 116 dead in total

Could have more dying per day than ze germans by the end of the week

The videos and stuff I'm seeing every day (5 mins ago it was the Worcester to brum train from this morning) is just utter madness 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Damn it, I'd only just put the quantum violin away...

I know.... rich people.

But it is still humans. Some will have been struggling like mad to pay fees from 2 jobs, one might be lost due to this, or both, even. So then their kids education....Self employed folk, small business owners where their business is hit. It's not "people dying" but it is still sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

People queue for hours to get a Big Mac become they close. I’m absolutely dumbfounded by the human race these last couple of weeks. 

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

what about offices?

That's a good question. It's horribly complicated.

As an example I'm still having to go to work. Our Co. supports the military in all sorts of ways. Some of it is direct support to keep the RAF flying, say. We still need helicopters, RAF planes to be operational. But another part of it is developing improvements, modifications, upgrades, new planes etc. If we say the people repairing, servicing etc. the aircraft are essential, but then they go off sick - do people developing modifications or whatever step across? And what about the payroll staff, the purchasing staff, security, MoD liaison...all kinds. Some can WFH of course, but the computer systems are segregated from the normal internet for security reasons. What about the computer menders...the cleaners, the cooks? People who write technical publications or people who do safety tasks? It's an endless conundrum.

I know some people think we're all amoral murdering scum, with no consciences, but even us "warmongers" need to be categorised one way or the other.

Just spoke to my mom who has symptoms and she was really short of breath, I told her to phone 111 but she is adamant she isn't going to bother the health services unless it hasn't shifted by the weekend. She is 63 and said she has only been displaying symptoms for 2 days. 

What's worse is that my sister has leukemia and her son has mental health issues, so in order to give my sister a break Mom and my sister basically share custody and have him for 4 days each. 

This has to stop clearly, but my mom is now unsure if it's best he stays with her (who is displaying symptoms), or my sister who is equally high risk. 

Â