Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Apparently Trump will be putting the economy before human life if his retweets in the last hour are anything to go by as he wants to get the country back to work in 15 days as that is more important than anything else.

The guy is a grade A, Blues supporting prick. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Apparently Trump will be putting the economy before human life if his retweets in the last hour are anything to go by as he wants to get the country back to work in 15 days as that is more important than anything else.

His re-election will depend heavily on the economy. America has never ditched a President after 1 term in a healthy economy. If they had into recession, they'll be much more likely to dump him.

Plus his entire being is driven by wealth. He would nuke whole tracts of the country if he was told it would give the stock market a boost.

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm probably going to make myself very unpopular on this thread by saying this, but I feel the need to, so . . .

I've been getting steadily more annoyed with the new genre of photo/video journalism that consists of taking deep-focus shots of parks with people in and then shaming them for acting irresponsibly. As far as I am aware, government health advice is that you need prolonged (around 15 minutes, but let's say 5-10 to be on the safe side) close exposure to a person (within 2 metres/6 feet) *or* to be directly coughed/sneezed on *or* to pick the virus up from a surface in order to become infected. Nothing about going for a walk in the park necessitates being in a situation where these things can happen. It is possible to walk in public, and eidemiologists - including some of those who were most alarmed about the virus early - agree with this:

Exercise and fresh air are good for people's physical and mental health. On a sunny day, being outside helps you to produce vitamin D, which we know from our Dr Campbell videos helps people avoid catching viral infections. It's bad, actually, that parks are being closed across the continent, and that people are posting memes and videos shaming others for simply going outside.

Now, that is not to say that there have not been people breaking the advice. Many of these videos have *also* contained images of people sitting and chatting with friends, or otherwise being too close to strangers. That is a problem, and that needs to be called out strongly, but we need the media (and ourselves as well) to start making the distinction between safe and unsafe outdoor exercise, rather than just retreating to our four walls and begging the army to clear the streets, which seems to be the underlying desire for too many people.

A separate problem is that in inner London, for instance, there may just be too many people for everyone who wants to to visit a park at the same time and remain 2 metres apart. Fine; but there are solutions to that, short of closing parks, such as having set times for people from particular streets or with particular surnames or whatever ('If your surname begins with the letters A - B, you can use the park from 9 - 10' etc). Councils should do that work, rather than just closing everything down and leaving people trapped in their homes for 3 months, and media should start distinguishing between safe and unsafe behaviours, before politicians simply call in the army because they feel pressured into it.

We back on to Warrens Hall Nature Reserve, so we're going for regular walks along the canal.

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

We back on to Warrens Hall Nature Reserve, so we're going for regular walks along the canal.

I was there yesterday afternoon!

It seems to be the quietest park nearby (I live in Blackheath).

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I was there yesterday afternoon!

It seems to be the quietest park nearby (I live in Blackheath).

We went over on Saturday lunch time. Quiet and peaceful. Had a nice run around with the lad and a ball. Expect we'll be over there a fair bit until all social bans are implemented.

Have to say hello if you're over again (from a safe distance >_>)

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with going outside - but there is a number of people who will not respect your personal space and not move over to the side of the footpath. Many have kids running around (who are not to be blamed) who also come too close and shout and scream. 

I like to ride my bike in the countryside, I hope people are smart enough to respect each other space so that the government does not ban my favourite spring time activity now that it's getting nice and sunny.

• Like 1

I don't give a shit what colour political tie you usually wear this government are an absolute disgrace for leaving nurses and doctors on the front line of all this without the correct basic PPE. We are seeing report after report of this and it is inexcusable as they have known this was coming for 2 months yet have still managed to put those who care for us in danger due to a lack of such a basic need.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Scandinavian countries seem to be moving away from exponential-seeming growth and towards a more linear growth pattern:

ETy1TT6XgAIZggH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

from: https://twitter.com/_HannahRitchie/status/1242067031446425602

(The comments to this tweet show the absolute best of Scandinavia, as various Swedes and Norwegians belligerently deny that their governments could possibly be doing anything right :D)

• Haha 1

I had a rant at one of the managers today because there are barely any staff in our department and the ones that are in are buckling under the pressure because those who have been self isolating or classed as vulnerable (which at present is probably about 70% of the department)  are still not working from home.

Despite the fact that we are being told on a daily basis to work from home if you can work from home the company I work for is so far behind on this it is painful, I've just had an Email saying that in the next 48 hours they will have a plan....that is right....a plan....Jesus **** Christ.

My managers excuse for it is "we are so far behind all the other companies because we are the biggest insurer in the country" he looked genuinely perplexed when I said that being the "biggest in the country" is not an excuse for being the most useless and in fact it should be the opposite and they should be leading the way.

I didn't want to work from home initially but now it has got to the point where I don't want to come into the office, based on the sh*t that is escalating day by day (especially when you have so many people who are just taking the piss with this isolation stuff and piling more pressure onto those of us actually coming into the office)

How long will it be before we go into a complete lock down? would that then mean that the office would actually be closed and they would have to arrange the home working?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm probably going to make myself very unpopular on this thread by saying this, but I feel the need to, so . . .

I've been getting steadily more annoyed with the new genre of photo/video journalism that consists of taking deep-focus shots of parks with people in and then shaming them for acting irresponsibly. As far as I am aware, government health advice is that you need prolonged (around 15 minutes, but let's say 5-10 to be on the safe side) close exposure to a person (within 2 metres/6 feet) *or* to be directly coughed/sneezed on *or* to pick the virus up from a surface in order to become infected. Nothing about going for a walk in the park necessitates being in a situation where these things can happen. It is possible to walk in public, and eidemiologists - including some of those who were most alarmed about the virus early - agree with this:

Exercise and fresh air are good for people's physical and mental health. On a sunny day, being outside helps you to produce vitamin D, which we know from our Dr Campbell videos helps people avoid catching viral infections. It's bad, actually, that parks are being closed across the continent, and that people are posting memes and videos shaming others for simply going outside.

Now, that is not to say that there have not been people breaking the advice. Many of these videos have *also* contained images of people sitting and chatting with friends, or otherwise being too close to strangers. That is a problem, and that needs to be called out strongly, but we need the media (and ourselves as well) to start making the distinction between safe and unsafe outdoor exercise, rather than just retreating to our four walls and begging the army to clear the streets, which seems to be the underlying desire for too many people.

A separate problem is that in inner London, for instance, there may just be too many people for everyone who wants to to visit a park at the same time and remain 2 metres apart. Fine; but there are solutions to that, short of closing parks, such as having set times for people from particular streets or with particular surnames or whatever ('If your surname begins with the letters A - B, you can use the park from 9 - 10' etc). Councils should do that work, rather than just closing everything down and leaving people trapped in their homes for 3 months, and media should start distinguishing between safe and unsafe behaviours, before politicians simply call in the army because they feel pressured into it.

I've been feeling this too. Feel like we should be tied to a chair and not allowed to move without someone thinking were doing wrong. I spent the weekend, with the help of the kids, mowing the lawn and cleaning all the garden toys off so they have their play haven outside.

And then I saw someone on here include in a list of activities they saw people doing 'mowing their lawn'. What's wrong with that? The weather is nice, I have a 6,4 and 1 year old that have had a brilliant couple of days in the back garden (which will continue through this week). We have stopped dog walks with them(too much to ask kids to stay off parks, don't touch anything), they don't go to supermarket. We live rural and we know a few very quiet locations which we shall frequent. But we will do that once the public flocking outdoors calm down a bit. I don't want my kids, Mrs or myself to get this. They are isolated at home. I work shifts, shop when I finish wearing gloves, shower immediately on my return home and sanitise anything I've been near. 

Just because I've been playing outside and stuff, doesn't mean I'm not being safe in trying to fight this. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Scandinavian countries seem to be moving away from exponential-seeming growth and towards a more linear growth pattern:

ETy1TT6XgAIZggH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

from: https://twitter.com/_HannahRitchie/status/1242067031446425602

(The comments to this tweet show the absolute best of Scandinavia, as various Swedes and Norwegians belligerently deny that their governments could possibly be doing anything right :D)

Hopefully it continues like that here, but it hasn't really started here yet. U also have to take into account that Sweden and Norway are not densely populated and only has a population of 9.5 million and 5.5 million respectively.

Stockholm being the only "big" city had something like 800 cases and rising.

My issue with the people handling it in Sweden is mostly down to "information fatigue" and conflicting messages. They are holding press conferences a couple times per day and the information is always conflicting with the information they gave the day before. They are claiming things won't happen, then it does so they change it and say the next scenario won't happen, and when it does they are saying the next scenario won't happen and so on.

Think everyone involved is doing a fantastic job, but the indecisiveness is a big worry for me. Sweden unlike every other country including Denmark and Norway leaving it all up to the individual citizen so far. I worry this will backfire big time.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

My managers excuse for it is "we are so far behind all the other companies because we are the biggest insurer in the country" he looked genuinely perplexed when I said that being the "biggest in the country" is not an excuse for being the most useless and in fact it should be the opposite and they should be leading the way.

Yep, like you I'd say how he has got it is very much arse about tit.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Hopefully it continues like that here, but it hasn't really started here yet. U also have to take into account that Sweden and Norway are not densely populated and only has a population of 9.5 million and 5.5 million respectively.

Stockholm being the only "big" city had something like 800 cases and rising.

My issue with the people handling it is Sweden is mostly down to "information fatigue" and conflicting messages. They are holding press conferences a couple times per day and the information is always conflicting with the information they gave the day before. They are claiming things won't happen, then it does so they change it and say the next scenario won't happen, and when it does they are saying the next scenario won't happen and so on.

Think everyone involved is doing a fantastic job, but the indecisiveness is a big worry for me. Sweden unlike every other country including Denmark and Norway leaving it all up to the individual citizen so far. I worry this will backfire big time.

I've certainly seen people suggesting that it's more by luck than judgement, and that both countries are benefitting from, as you say, low population density and a younger-than-most average age of infected people. However, the big positive is if those growth rates can be maintained or even reduced further, then the crisis should be much more manageable for you.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I've certainly seen people suggesting that it's more by luck than judgement, and that both countries are benefitting from, as you say, low population density and a younger-than-most average age of infected people. However, the big positive is if those growth rates can be maintained or even reduced further, then the crisis should be much more manageable for you.

I hope so too.

To add a bit of context Sweden stopped testing people a week and a half ago. Even hospital staff is not tested anymore.

Only people they are certain to have it are tested. 

44 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Nothing wrong with going outside - but there is a number of people who will not respect your personal space and not move over to the side of the footpath. Many have kids running around (who are not to be blamed) who also come too close and shout and scream. 

I like to ride my bike in the countryside, I hope people are smart enough to respect each other space so that the government does not ban my favourite spring time activity now that it's getting nice and sunny.

A girl rode past us on her bike on one of the paths. She moved over and covered her mouth with one hand.

Subsequently fell off her bike. I laughed.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Jon said:

My symptoms seem to be matching yours quite closely Lakota. Breathing seems to be an intermittent issue. Chest feels consistently restricted, but not to a massive degree.  Feel fairly tired.  Walked about 100 yards in 1 go today and it kind of wiped me out for a bit and left me a bit breathless.  But generally the symptoms seem to be fairly mild and I don't feel particularly 'ill'. It's quite weird.  

I had that a week or so ago. Kept saying to the Mrs I was short of breath. It was how I imagine it'd be to have asthma. No other symptoms, although two nights in a row I woke up sweatier than I've ever been so perhaps there were.

I now have a full-blown cold.  Not so much a snotty nose but started with a sore throat which now just feels irritated and has led to a productive cough and congested sinuses.

Frustrating not knowing whether it's "it" or just a regular virus.

• Like 1

Â