Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

he should have made sure, given concerns were being raised at least a couple of weeks ago and have been raised every day since, that by the time we got to this stage no hospital or single individual on the front line was still lacking PPE. 

Yes. But he really, really shouldn't have to do that. If hospital managers on 200K a year, or whatever can't manage having enough basic PPE for an oncoming virus that they had warning of, then they should be sacked. Many managed to do it, that some didn't is on them (at least until I see a valid reason why they didn't - for example if the alarm was raised by them 4 weeks ago). There's a massive culture of arse covering, shuffling from one Trust to the next when they mess up. Incompetence and unaccountability.

• Like 4

So i spent the weekend sitting in my house self isolating, saw my mom at her doorstep Sunday from 2 meters away and very briefly.

Go to work today and its all as normal , 100 people all in close proximity building cars, sharing toilet blocks , canteens , vending machines .  If it was ventilators then i could understand it.

Boris needs to be clear with his message, we either self isolate socially and at work or whats the point. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Britain has plenty of previous for that sort of thing. The disgracefully crap equipment and outdated tactics in 1940 left us with zero chance up against the Wehrmacht. 

Yes history is littered with us sadly failing those we send out to protect us.

In this instance perhaps more than ever though we are talking about something really basic, mask, gloves, apron.

22 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Again, that's worrying to me. It doesn't appear like this has gone through trials or proper clinical tests and it just seems like the next rushed step which will have everyone clamouring to proclaim it a done thing before those trials and tests have been done.

I really hope that this ends up working and working to the level that people are being made to believe it willl because if it doesn't work to that level or, worse still, it causes issues that they haven't taken the time to consider then it will have the effect of people being less than willing to take the next magic bullet (whether it be for this or for something else) and being less trusting in medical authorities.

From that notice, though, the advisory says as prophylaxis for high-risk asymptomatic people and also the intake of the medicine should not instil a sense of false security.

Edited by snowychap

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So if 'full lockdown' happens, can I still go for a run?

Depends how strict it is, but the likely answers is no

Elsewhere in Europe the deal is no one outside their homes unless they are key worker going to work or going to the shops

Even walking the dog is stricted to 15mins per day

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So if 'full lockdown' happens, can I still go for a run?

Of course you can, if you have a balcony:

A Toulouse man under lockdown following the French government's measures to control the spread of the coronavirus, completed a full marathon by going back and forth on his seven-meter-long balcony. Elisha Nochomovitz ran 42.2 kilometeres in a challenge to support the entire medical staff in the front line fighting with the new coronavirus.

...more

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

As I said though we have known this is coming for some time now.  Surely has health secretary 2 months ago you ask the question are we prepared for what is to come,  do those we need to take care of us have all the basic requirements. Speak with Drs and senior nurses at different trusts to ensure what you are being told is correct and then do this every few days to ensure you don't get to a point where Drs and nurses are treating patients without the PPE to help keep themselves safe. It is not hard and certainly not something those at the top can pass the buck on. Grave concerns have continually been raised about this by numerous Drs and nurses on the front line for weeks now yet everyday we are still seeing the same.

This is akin to sending the army to war and half the combat personnel not having body armour.

Didnt that happen too. An they were driving around IED's in Land rovers you can buy from the shop.

Huff Post article on chloroquine:

Gregory Rigano has been everywhere lately. The night before President Donald Trump promoted a potential treatment for the coronavirus, the anti-malarial drug chloroquine, Rigano was on Tucker Carlson’s prime-time Fox News show heralding the supposed breakthrough involving the drug: “What we’re here to announce is the second cure to a virus of all time.” He was identified as an adviser to Stanford University School of Medicine. Rigano also appeared on Glenn Beck’s radio program this week, and Tesla founder Elon Musk tweeted out Rigano’s self-published paper about the effects of chloroquine.

But Rigano is not a doctor. Nor is he affiliated with Stanford’s medical school — it is actively trying to get him to stop saying he is an adviser. And his claims about chloroquine are unproven, often overstated and potentially harmful.

Rigano’s description of chloroquine’s effects is largely based on a single study from France that tested its use on a group of only 20 people. Six additional patients were also given the treatment but dropped out of the study before its completion: Three were transferred to intensive care, one died, one left the hospital and another stopped treatment because of nausea.

The study has been peer-reviewed and accepted to the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, which plans to publish it in the next day or so.

Any drug requires extensive testing and clinical trials before it can be said to be effective, let alone that it is a “cure.” Initially promising drugs can also fail upon further testing. Although chloroquine could indeed be beneficial against COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus and prominent scientists have advocated for more research into its potential, medical experts also say there is no decisive proof yet that it can effectively treat the coronavirus.

“We certainly hope that chloroquine or hydroxy-chloroquine will be proven effective against COVID-19, but definitive evidence showing clinical benefit is lacking thus far and clinical trials are in progress,” Mochly-Rosen said.

A day after Rigano appeared on Carlson’s show, Trump repeatedly touted chloroquine as a potential wonder treatment for coronavirus. Trump falsely suggested that the Food and Drug Administration had approved it to treat the virus, and FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn said the president had directed him to take a closer look at its uses.

At a White House press conference on Friday, the use of chloroquine came up once again when a reporter asked Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, whether there was any evidence to suggest it could be used as a prophylaxis against COVID-19. 

“The answer is no, and the evidence you’re talking about is anecdotal evidence,” Fauci said.

...more

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sid4ever said:

So guys keep me sane for the next 12 weeks, just had my text from the NHS and I am now at home until the 15th June

VT going offline. Did you see the announcement?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Didnt that happen too. An they were driving around IED's in Land rovers you can buy from the shop.

As I said in a previous post history is sadly littered with us failing those people we ask to protect us. It doesn't make this latest failing, especially given we are failing to provide something so basic, any less wrong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sid4ever said:

So guys keep me sane for the next 12 weeks, just had my text from the NHS and I am now at home until the 15th June

I think the list of potential distractions in Xann's thread won't stop growing for a while so that could help keep you busy and sane.

Erm, and stay out of On Topic, obviously. :)

Â