Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Are you basing that on any experience in a clinical/drug related field?

No, but all I said was ‘I wouldn’t be surprised’ 

There has been data from China, France & US showing this has worked in labs and some ‘anecdotal’ evidence from limited patient treatment.

if the Norwegians start tomorrow and in 4 weeks doctors start reporting that it ‘works’, given it’s an existing drug, with a known safety profile, then I can’t see why it wouldn’t be accelerated? 

Safety is the biggest issue and if they are planning to give it to 10k NHS workers, they must be pretty confident in that side of it, so it comes down to results only now surely? 

I slightly wonder about the message being given out in this press conference.

I think the result of the announcement of asking individuals in the most vulnerable groups to isolate for 12 weeks will be that all of those not in that group will see it as an even more resounding confirmation that they can carry on with doing whatever they want - even allowing for the comments about people who see themselves as invulnerable and the semi-reinforcment of social distancing whilst also saying that people should be getting out to public spaces and parks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mother has just come up today to collect cards. Was speaking on the phone before where she's been what she been doing thought it's ok she's hardly been out and she is fit and healthy and has been mostly isolating if not just going local shops. Just talking about situation and she is talking about stopping in for 2 weeks anyway thought how sensible are you. Then she dropped the bombshell no bread anywhere could only get it in Sutton town centre yesterday so did shopping there as aldi had everything. Anyone else I would have chucked out my house, to say I was a little annoyed was a understatement. 

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I slightly wonder about the message being given out in this press conference.

I think the result of the announcement of asking individuals in the most vulnerable groups to isolate for 12 weeks will be that all of those not in that group will see it as an even more resounding confirmation that they can carry on with doing whatever they want - even allowing for the comments about people who see themselves as invulnerable and the semi-reinforcment of social distancing whilst also saying that people should be getting out to public spaces and parks.

At the moment I don't see any difference between this and 'mitigation'. 

Boris said that if people don’t behave in open spaces within the framework given, ie 2 meters apart etc they will have to pull forward stricter measures. 
This confirms we will be locked down at some point, just a matter of when.

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

if the Norwegians start tomorrow and in 4 weeks doctors start reporting that it ‘works’, given it’s an existing drug, with a known safety profile, then I can’t see why it wouldn’t be accelerated? 

Safety is the biggest issue and if they are planning to give it to 10k NHS workers, they must be pretty confident in that side of it, so it comes down to results only now surely?

Safety is a slightly wider thing than that, though, isn't it? It's not just about side-effects, is it?

It's about whether a particular drug (that is largely safe in other circumstances) has unintended consequences or effects when used in a very different setting or to combat a very different 'enemy'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Anyone who knows Tesco at New Oscott these were the scenes this morning. Not taken by me by the way.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, sky and outdoor

So what happens when there is a supposed 'enforcement' of keeping everybody two metres apart, and this lot turn up? 

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Boris said that if people don’t behave in open spaces within the framework given, ie 2 meters apart etc they will have to pull forward stricter measures. 
This confirms we will be locked down at some point, just a matter of when.

The sooner the better. 

Bullshit Boris up to his old tricks. Just said they will only introduce measures at the moment they can have the maximum effect and highlighted that is why they have only now written to the 1.5 million most vulnerable people. I mean really. Surely if you were in a position to you'd have wrote to these people at the earliest opportunity not when the grim reaper is chasing them around the overcrowded local Tesco.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The sooner the better. 

Problem is, the strategy of this government is to allow it to spread to a point. Tell people to go home too soon and it won’t work.

Not usually much of a fan of my garden as it tends to make me sneeze/give me hayfever but feel rather lucky to have it at the moment. Have sat out reading a book for a couple of hours today & other than a few neighbours shouting to each other over a few gardens about their various coughs & colds it has been a nice quiet day in the sun & fresh air. In all honesty someone telling to me to stay at home & do nothing and they will pay me to do so is pretty much my idea of a perfect life so i am quite happy to oblige.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Message from Boris:

"Please stay indoors, the science says that if you don't stay indoors then lots and lots of people will die, thousands of us, including your relatives. So it's vital you stay indoors. That is, unless you want to go to the park or the shops or school, or you insist on keeping your beauty parlour open, or you're in court, or you just fancy some fresh air. The message from Government is clear, stay indoors unless you want to go out, in which case go out."

It's pathetic.

Yes, I was watching Sky News earlier and they made this point. It’s just not clear, or firm enough.

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Loss of sense of smell as marker of COVID-19 infection

more on link: https://www.entuk.org/loss-sense-smell-marker-covid-19-infection

Interesting. It looks like I had the virus in early Feb. I had all the symptoms including this one about a week after returning from a business trip to Paris. By coincidence I effectively isolated myself for the few days before and after because I was working from home.

Hopefully the antibody test will be available soon to confirm. I'd really like to know if I'm still at risk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Message from Boris:

"Please stay indoors, the science says that if you don't stay indoors then lots and lots of people will die, thousands of us, including your relatives. So it's vital you stay indoors. That is, unless you want to go to the park or the shops or school, or you insist on keeping your beauty parlour open, or you're in court, or you just fancy some fresh air. The message from Government is clear, stay indoors unless you want to go out, in which case go out."

It's pathetic.

I’ve no idea whether he actually said this or if it’s a spoof.

Which kind of says it all .

• Haha 1

Â