Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Canada refusing to send any athletes to the summer Olympics and are demanding they postpone it. More countries sure to follow surely.

Moronic to think they can have a Summer Olympics in a few months time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

India is a ticking bomb....

The way it is out there with the sheer amount of people, poverty and general hygiene, social distancing will be impossible.

Edited by imavillan

42 minutes ago, sne said:

This will mean that Delhi will hopefully have the same effects that Eastern China has had after their lockdown, the smog that kills around 2 million people a year will have a chance to dissipate and leave their health systems equipped to deal with the ill rather than self inflicted pollution issues. After my two weeks in isolation I'm out and I noticed just how quiet things have become without all the air traffic flying over our house to get to Heathrow.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Canada refusing to send any athletes to the summer Olympics and are demanding they postpone it. More countries sure to follow surely.

Moronic to think they can have a Summer Olympics in a few months time. 

DIdn't it get postponed yesterday?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

DIdn't it get postponed yesterday?

Don't think so, they will decide withing the month what to do but no final decision yet.

Australia have told their athletes to aim for 2021.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't think so, they will decide withing the month what to do but no final decision yet.

Australia have told their athletes to aim for 2021.

Ah you're right, I just got a message on my phone that said" something Olympics Something something postponement something" and just assumed it had happened

Typcal IOC though, when FIFA make you look indecisive, you should realise you have a problem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

India is a ticking bomb....

The way it is out there with the sheer amount of people, poverty and general hygiene, social distancing will be impossible.

You’d think but India are actually putting us in the UK to shame. Spoke with a pal of mine who’s over there working in the British embassy and he said that social distancing and self-isolating are being widely observed. People are taking it super seriously and Modi seems to be handling it rather well. 

Of course, it’s easier among the higher end of the economic scale. I’d imagine any country that has millions of people living on top of each other in what we’d class as slums is going to have a hard time with the virus. 

Appreciate this has probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but just wanted to ask a question of those who may be in a country in lockdown or know someone who is: What will they do with office spaces if we do go into full lockdown? I work for a bank (low level, please don’t judge me) and we naturally have a high number of callers at the moment worried about mortgages, loans, etc. Do these premises remain open? I imagine they do but if so, what measures are put in place? 

9 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Quite odd isn't it, seems to be a constant almost dull ache where your heart is, wouldn't say it is  pain but very aware of something feeling restricted & not right. I usually hurtle about at a pace that would win any Olympic speed walking competition & run up & down the stairs 3 or 4 at a time. Have forgotten a few times &  gone bounding up the stairs as usual only to really wish I hadn't once I get to the top. I guess both seemingly having the same does at least pretty much confirm that we both have it unless we have somehow both managed to get an oddly specific unrelated chest infection at the same time as this which would seem unlikely. A dab of vicks seemed to help a bit when I went to bed puffing a bit last night. Join the club & do what they are telling you seems to be the best thing, stay home where possible & take it easy.  Good chance to catch up on some tv/movies/books.

How's your sleeping? I'm struggling a bit because I keep jolting awake when I struggle for a breath.  My breathing isn't too bad when I'm awake, because I can self regulate it. I can consciously take correct breaths.  But not when asleep.  

Grauniad live:

The British government is effectively nationalising the state’s railways for a temporary period, it has been announced.

Rail franchise agreements are to be suspended to avoid train companies collapsing due to the coronavirus, the Department for Transport (DfT) has announced.

Operators will be paid a small management fee to run services, with all revenue and cost risk transferred to the Government.

The emergency measures will be in place for an initial period of six months. Rail timetables have been slashed because of Covid-19.

The DfT said passenger numbers have fallen by up to 70%, while ticket sales are down by two-thirds.

31 minutes ago, choffer said:

You’d think but India are actually putting us in the UK to shame. Spoke with a pal of mine who’s over there working in the British embassy and he said that social distancing and self-isolating are being widely observed. People are taking it super seriously and Modi seems to be handling it rather well. 

Of course, it’s easier among the higher end of the economic scale. I’d imagine any country that has millions of people living on top of each other in what we’d class as slums is going to have a hard time with the virus. 

At least it will hopefully have paused that campaign to beat up Muslims that was gaining popularity over there. 

• Like 3

Not surprising to see things like this:

Hungary’s parliament will this week consider an emergency bill that would give prime minister Viktor Orbán sweeping powers to rule by decree, without a clear cut-off date.

The bill seeks to extend the state of emergency declared earlier this month over coronavirus, and could also see people jailed for spreading information deemed to be fake news. The government has portrayed the move as a necessary response to the unprecedented challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic, but critics immediately labelled the legislation as dangerously open-ended and vulnerable to abuse.

...more

11 hours ago, snowychap said:

That first one doesn't work for me. If I stretch my arm out fully I can't bend my wrist like in the picture. My elbow has to be at about a 30 degree angle to make that hand shape. Have I got weird arms ? ☹️

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not surprising to see things like this:

The bill seeks to extend the state of emergency declared earlier this month over coronavirus, and could also see people jailed for spreading information deemed to be fake news. 

It's not as if Orban has a history of using lines like this to silence his dissidents....

• Like 1

Â