Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Deaths lag the current situation by 2 - 3 weeks.  So the current numbers reflect the peak from a few weeks ago and they will plummet in 2 or 3 weeks from now. 

The ONS figures from last week suggested it was leveling off. 

Agreed.

However I thought the ONS stats showed it as static as 1in 13 (same as previous).

Edit:- yeah I suppose static as 1 in 13 could be deemed as levelling off.

My wife tested positive today, bit achey and a chesty cough but seems fine apart from that fortunately. Me and the baby both had it a month ago so hopefully can’t catch it again!

10 hours ago, chappy said:

My wife tested positive today, bit achey and a chesty cough but seems fine apart from that fortunately. Me and the baby both had it a month ago so hopefully can’t catch it again!

From the experience of several of my friends you probably can. Looks like I got away with it again after that crowded gig last week. I'm starting to feel like the guy who walks through the Somme machinegun barrage and comes out unscathed. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

From the experience of several of my friends you probably can. Looks like I got away with it again after that crowded gig last week. I'm starting to feel like the guy who walks through the Somme machinegun barrage and comes out unscathed. 

LFTs are supposedly unreliable for 90 days after infection though as apparently there can be residual infection which gives you a false positive. So I think it’s hard to say for sure if people have been reinfected so soon.

19 hours ago, chappy said:

LFTs are supposedly unreliable for 90 days after infection though as apparently there can be residual infection which gives you a false positive. So I think it’s hard to say for sure if people have been reinfected so soon.

That’s PCRs. Lateral flows are pretty good indicators of current infectiousness, at least to a contagious level, as far as I know. The former are more sensitive, which is a problem after recovery but useful for identifying it early.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

That’s PCRs. Lateral flows are pretty good indicators of current infectiousness, at least to a contagious level, as far as I know. The former are more sensitive, which is a problem after recovery but useful for identifying it early.

LFTs can still pick up the virus even though you may not be contagious. My Mrs was asked to go back to work (NHS) in the 3rd week even though LFT was still showing positive.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I know it hardly gets mentioned now, as reflected in finding this thread on page 3, but the latest 7 day average of deaths is now 546 per day which is the highest it has been since February 2021.

Yeah, it's amazing how it's just ignored now. 

Someone gets covid and ‘survives’ - oooh it must be because of the vaccination.

Despite the fact that the vast majority of people who have caught covid since it’s emergence have ‘survived’ with or without a vaccination.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Despite the fact that the vast majority of people who have caught covid since it’s emergence have ‘survived’ with or without a vaccination.

Full agreement. People blame COVID and the vaccination for so many things. I come across bellends who are unvaccinated and people think oh they are a bellend because they are unvaccinated when in fact they were bellends anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

tenor.gif

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Full agreement. People blame COVID and the vaccination for so many things. I come across bellends who are unvaccinated and people think oh they are a bellend because they are unvaccinated when in fact they were bellends anyway. 

Ah there we go, anyone who dares say something not in keeping with the theme of the ‘vaccination’ saving us all is a bellend.

Its like a religion, there’s no room for anything outside of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ah there we go, anyone who dares say something not in keeping with the theme of the ‘vaccination’ saving us all is a bellend.

Oh no, I was agreeing with you on how COVID and vaccination is trotted out for any positive or negative. Those non vaccinated people were bellends anyway. Their reluctance to vaccinate is not connected to their bellendery. 

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Trying to make people realise how incredibly vital the vaccines have been and how they stopped armageddon in its tracks but who don't believe it is such a waste of time. 

Like trying to explain to a pro Trumper why he is poisonous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the theme is, vaccination reduces symptoms and saves lives. Its scientifically proven with millions of data points. 

It's like India never happened? Remember how the Delta variant hit there just before vaccinations really started.  There were people dying in the streets, in their homes, bodies being chucked in rivers, no oxygen available as all hospitals were completely overwhelmed. 

They still don't really know how many died because of all those who died at home unrecorded in rural areas. 

It's why they took 5m of AstraZeneca vaccines away from us that they had made for export and put it into their own peoples arms. Chaos and desperation everywhere. 

Thank god we had got substantial numbers vaccinated here before Delta took off or it would have been the same here.   People just don't understand how lucky we are, if Delta had arrived just a month or 2 earlier it would have been a totally different story.  Nobody would be banging on about how most survive regardless of vaccination. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â