Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I'm still wanking working from home, and can safely say I get way more work done here than in the office. 

Alan Sugar is just jealous and frustrated that he can't maintain an erection long enough to have a wank. 

• Haha 1

Almost everyone I speak to agree that they're more productive at home. And the people who say they aren't, just come to the office.

If Alan Sugar thinks employees aren't as productive at home then he should show the metrics that prove this.

Drives me mad that these dinosaurs think they have to be able to see people for them to work properly.

Base your opinion on results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Almost everyone I speak to agree that they're more productive at home. And the people who say they aren't, just come to the office.

If Alan Sugar thinks employees aren't as productive at home then he should show the metrics that prove this.

Drives me mad that these dinosaurs think they have to be able to see people for them to work properly.

Base your opinion on results.

A few years back (pre-pandemic) the Chinese did a big experiment on this. A number of companies agreed to allocate a proportion of staff to WFH for a year. The employees were very much in favour of this, while the bosses were highly sceptical, convinced that it would lead to mass skiving. At the end of the year they assessed the results, and asked if they wanted to carry on with it, or return to office work. The answers surprised everybody - the employers (to their amazement) found that productivity had significantly increased, and they were keen to continue with it. The employees, on the other hand, were more split, with several saying they missed the office environment. 

Sugar's talking out of his arse. 

• Like 1

It's strange isn't it that when your employees don't wear themselves out with a two-way daily commute they actually have more of a chance to recuperate and keep happy and on good form.

For me WFH has been a revelation, and I am more productive for sure as I have more good quality preparation time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

It's strange isn't it that when your employees don't wear themselves out with a two-way daily commute they actually have more of a chance to recuperate and keep happy and on good form.

For me WFH has been a revelation, and I am more productive for sure as I have more good quality preparation time.

Me too, I get an extra hour sleep every night. I do 2 hours less driving a day which is expensive, tiring and bad for the environment.

I get to see my children before school every day and do about 50% of the school runs. I can go into the office when I want if it suits me and my work.

Its been a massive positive for me and my family.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Me too, I get an extra hour sleep every night. I do 2 hours less driving a day which is expensive, tiring and bad for the environment.

I get to see my children before school every day and do about 50% of the school runs. I can go into the office when I want if it suits me and my work.

Its been a massive positive for me and my family.

But how does any of this help commercial landlords like Alan Sugar?

Looks expensive to have all of this London property sitting empty, looking for tenants https://www.amsprop.com/available_property.html

Make no mistake, he's not an idiot, and he doesn't believe what he's saying, he's just a self-interested bastard that wants people crammed back into offices because it's good for his bank balance.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

I retired well before any of this, but personally I would not have wanted to WFH (apart from the occasional day). I liked to keep the home and work environment physically and psychologically separate, I liked meeting people, going to the pub, or city centre record/book shopping at lunchtimes, and I actually enjoyed the commuting - listening to music if driving, reading if on public transport. 

• Like 4

Just now, mjmooney said:

I retired well before any of this, but personally I would not have wanted to WFH (apart from the occasional day). I liked to keep the home and work environment physically and psychologically separate, I liked meeting people, going to the pub, or city centre record/book shopping at lunchtimes, and I actually enjoyed the commuting - listening to music if driving, reading if on public transport. 

Absolutely the same for me. Not that my job can be done from home anyway, but the small parts of it that can, I still prefer doing at work. 

• Like 1

I can still listen to music or read during the time that would be my commute, without the irritation of traffic, delays, and obnoxious members of the public.

Being in town can be nice at lunch, but I will happily trade that for being able to get ahead and do a couple of jobs around the house, cooking a nice meal in my kitchen, or just playing with the cats.

• Thanks 1

I've worked from home for 9 years now, and I found it a struggle at first. However I converted the box room to be my office, and it made things so much easier. I only go in it to work, and there's a separation from me and my family as they all know not to come in whilst I work.

I'm lucky that both my children go to school within walking distance, so I do the morning school run too, then get a bit of time before starting the working day to do odd jobs etc. Really helps with running a busy house. When I'm not too busy I can also get out for a walk with the dog at lunch.

I used to miss the interaction of going in to an office, but I don't waste as much time now. Much more productive. I also spend a lot of my time on the phone or in meetings, so the quiet I get at home is actually quite appreciated.

Alan Sugar is talking balls. He's got the attitude most control freak bosses do, they only feel powerful when they've got people to lord it over.

• Like 1

Not been into the office for a couple of weeks with one thing and another. 

Was surprised how full the car park at their station was and the number of people on the platform. The previous trains had all run OK. 

Had to stand up on the train into work for the first time since the pandemic. 

I could have sat down next to someone but preferred to stand in my own space. 

It's just gradually getting busier. 

I hope they run an additional train because I can only get either an 8.07 or an 8.48 which gets into town too late really. 

Edited by sidcow

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For me it's the time you get back—think about all the wasted time commuting over years. You get all of that time back for yourself. If you have only a 30 minute commute each way over a year you'd get back about 250 hours. Over only 30 years that would be 7500 hours of your life back in your own hands. That's huge.

EDIT: for me there is a balance to be struck, and at least working from home 50% of the week would save companies money on rent etc. and gives people the best of both worlds.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is why hybrid working is ideal for a lot of people. Couple of days a week where you still get the office environment, you can get things done that you need to be in the office for, but then still have 2 or 3 days a week where you can WFH.

I used to absolutely dread work on a Monday. Sunday nights were horrible even when I liked my job.

These days, even if I'm working on a Monday, I just don't feel the same. it just doesn't have the same daunting feeling when it's only a couple of days in the office

• Like 1

I think c/s call centre jobs should be in the office personally because i literally speak to so many rudes idiots who work remotely. No one monitors them i bet hence why they just hang up if they cant be asked to talk to you, or just rude if you ask them a question probe them. Virgin, british gas, councils etc. The service has got atrocious 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think c/s call centre jobs should be in the office personally because i literally speak to so many rudes idiots who work remotely. No one monitors them i bet hence why they just hang up if they cant be asked to talk to you, or just rude if you ask them a question probe them. Virgin, british gas, councils etc. The service has got atrocious 

I don't see why any of these can't be monitored when they're working from home in the same way as they could in the office

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't see why any of these can't be monitored when they're working from home in the same way as they could in the office

You absolutely can. I've been putting in systems with this functionality for years.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

when i worked in call centre at the start of my career you would have a team leader on your bank so they knew if you were taking the piss. They would also listen to your calls but you wouldnt know when. I doubt you can do that working from home

I’ve worked from home for the last few years now.

It has lots of pros, obviously, but it also has cons that I think people (particularly those more advanced in their careers) forget.

Company culture, teamwork etc can be massive (dependent on the nature of the roles and business), I don’t know how you’re supposed to hone that effectively with everyone working from home, in particular for new employees and further still for those at the beginning of their careers, I’ve always said you can learn far more about a colleague from one social event or night out than you can working alongside them for 10 years, so how does that aspect play into the discussion? 

Then you have all the various businesses that rely on office workers and commuters. 

• Like 3

Â