Ingredients
1 Large fruit bat
2 Medium donni sali (hot peppers)
1 Chopped white onion
5 tbsp Light soy sauce
2 tsp Lemon juice
1 pinch Salt
2 cans Coconut milk unsweetened

Do make sure the coconut milk is unsweetened. Otherwise it'll ruin the delicious taste of the bat

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don't think it's that one is considered more ethically barbaric, just that boiling a whole bat in a soup is pretty **** repulsive... something Baldrick would do in Blackadder Goes Forth. Those cute little eyes staring up at you from that furry little ratty head marinated in its own blood.

There's probably some cultures in the world who think eating a beef tongue or an oxtail is pretty repulsive. 

I like eating haggis, but it's also an objectively disgusting concept if you think too hard about it. Salami too. Loads of stuff. It's all disgusting.

I wasn't criticising anyone for eating bat, just saying the thought of making eye contact with a dead bat in its own little swimming pool of gore... is grim!

I can live with them eating what we see as weird shit. Plenty of northerners eat some pretty grim things too. But what I can’t accept, is their penchant for consuming endangered species. Take Rhino horn for example, the whole poaching industry is there because people think that rhino horn has some magical properties that make men more virile. There’s no evidence that this has ever been remotely true, yet they still want to buy it. Contributing to the extinction of the worlds rhinos. (To be fair it’s not just the Chinese, the Vietnamese young elite are also to blame). 

Then there’s the killing of thousands of sharks for their fins. Endangered animals that are being wiped out for food. 
6600 sharks found on a Chinese boat near Galapagos

I know all nations eat meat, but this is different. The blatant disregard for the planet is hard to accept in 2020. 

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm more of a purist. Salt and vinegar 90% of the time. 

Curry sauce on the side every now and again. 

Mayo if i'm feeling metrosexual 

Anyway... Chinese killer flu... lets get back on topic :D

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree with @It's Your Round though. Aren’t there enough f*****g animals to eat already?? Do you really have to make delicacies out of endangered species ffs!!

On that note, what about people that eat pigs trotters and snouts, chicken feet, cows tongue etc. There’s plenty of tasty bits, why would you eat those bits?

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I find the outrage of certain countries allowing the consumption of dog as hypocritical. But that’s for a different topic. 

Agree with @It's Your Round though. Aren’t there enough f*****g animals to eat already?? Do you really have to make delicacies out of endangered species ffs!!

A lot of food we eat in the West is also resulting in species becoming endangered. We might not eat them directly but all the palm oil we consume in our biscuits and snacks is wiping out Orangutans. Forest habitat is cleared for soy plantations that becomes the dry feed for the cattle we eat etc etc  

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

On that note, what about people that eat pigs trotters and snouts, chicken feet, cows tongue etc. There’s plenty of tasty bits, why would you eat those bits?

No idea. Are they healthy? Offal is meant to be very good for you though as full of nutrients. I can’t eat it myself though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A lot of food we eat in the West is also resulting in species becoming endangered. We might not eat them directly but all the palm oil we consume in our biscuits and snacks is wiping out Orangutans. Forest habitat is cleared for soy plantations that become the dry feed for the cattle we eat etc etc  

That fair enough but don’t you reckon that’s more to do with a lack of awareness? Maybe the more people understand the impacts of what they are eating the more chances there are that they will refrain from it eating it?

Not quite that same as I need to pay big money to get me a rare endangered animal so I can taste it before it goes extinct!  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 22:32, Vive_La_Villa said:

That fair enough but don’t you reckon that’s more to do with a lack of awareness. Maybe the more people understand the impacts of what they are eating the more chances there are that they will refrain from it eating it?

Not quite that same as I need to pay big money to get me a rare endangered animal so I can taste it before it goes extinct!  

Well yes perhaps but if you are talking about wealthy Chinese paying big money to eat endangered animals is that any worse than a western capitalist green lighting the use of say palm oil in their production process in order to help them become more wealthy?

I think there are both ignorant people in and selfish assholes in all societies. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well yes perhaps but if you are talking about wealthy Chinese paying big money to eat endangered animals is that any worse than a western capitalist green lighting the use of say palm oil in their production process in order to help them become more wealthy?

I think there are both ignorant people in and selfish assholes in all societies. 

Can’t argue with that. 

47 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I’ve literally caught up on the past couple of pages of this topic, and now I’m leaving it wanting to become a vegetarian...

Can vegetarians still eat fruit bats?

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Genie said:

Can't beat a bit of ox tongue. Totally different flavour to other cuts. 

Â