Jump to content

Generic Virus Thread


villakram
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I understand the comments about the “quality” of the build but still, my mind is blown that they’ve done it so quickly. 

Seriously though, look at that toilet block. It’s old, that’s not new, they’ve got a prtakabin from somewhere else and moved it to this site. They’ve relocated portakabins that are filthy and poorly made. look at that surface fixed bit of metal screwing two walls together, look at the pipe work. it’s properly third world.

I’m amazed they’ve let those photos get out.

Again, it’s impressive they’ve got so many terrapins and pre fabs together in such a short time. I wouldn’t want any treatment in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
18 hours ago, sne said:

I imagine this would not have been possible in many other countries, almost makes those silly "arks" they built in 2012 a bit less implausible.

 

I was racking my brain for ages thinking I must have missed a news story. Then I realized you meant the movie 🤣

It's late here :D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
7 hours ago, Awol said:

I don’t imagine there’s huge stocks of those to treat a wider global pandemic. 

I guess it will just burn through eventually, but if the 2% death rate is correct the final toll could be pretty sobering. 

If it goes truly global thats about 150 million people, or half of the US population.

As it seems to mainly effect old people I guess it's gonna clear out a lot of boomers.*

*1st time I've ever used this word 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

If it goes truly global thats about 150 million people, or half of the US population.

As it seems to mainly effect old people I guess it's gonna clear out a lot of boomers.*

*1st time I've ever used this word 

Guy who died in the Philipines was a spritely 39, so guess underlying health conditions would be a factor too. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Seriously though, look at that toilet block. It’s old, that’s not new, they’ve got a prtakabin from somewhere else and moved it to this site. They’ve relocated portakabins that are filthy and poorly made. look at that surface fixed bit of metal screwing two walls together, look at the pipe work. it’s properly third world.

I’m amazed they’ve let those photos get out.

Again, it’s impressive they’ve got so many terrapins and pre fabs together in such a short time. I wouldn’t want any treatment in there.

Can't argue with most of that. Given the options I'd rather be somewhere nicer. Imagine if we had an outbreak like that in the UK. The beds we have are about 99% full. If there is potentially going to be a huge outbreak of illness its gonna be something thrown together quickly like the Chinese have done or die in a waiting room whilst infecting more and more people.

Its far from ideal, but I applaud their ability even to make the decision to do it so quickly, let alone actually make it happen. From that 1 picture it looks like (as you say) they've recycled some of the components from somewhere else. Other pictures have it looking shiny and new (even an ice rink 😮)

Looks like power, ducting for waste and/or HVAC, new beds etc).

spacer.png

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

I mean they must have recycled stuff from elsewhere. The sheer amount of material to build and stock all of that brand new isn't just lying around somewhere, and you wouldn't be able to manufacture it all from scratch in such a short period of time.

I wouldn't WANT treatment there. But if it's a choice between there and nowehre, then so be it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean they must have recycled stuff from elsewhere. The sheer amount of material to build and stock all of that brand new isn't just lying around somewhere, and you wouldn't be able to manufacture it all from scratch in such a short period of time.

I wouldn't WANT treatment there. But if it's a choice between there and nowehre, then so be it.

Yea I think that's my take. 

The finish is 2/10 (hey, it has a bed, it's already better than most UK hospitals :lol: ) - but it's the sheer scale of the project in 4(!!) days which is absolutely obscene. 

The room doesn't necessarily have to be squeaky clean to have someone sit in there and be diagnosed either, but there is still a room (with a bed, lighting and i assume heating) to isolate those who may or may not have the virus - we can do all the sanitary stuff later. 

Would I want to spend 1 night in there?  No, I'd go to almost any other hospital over it, but the fact it's even there - is still astonishing to me.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

If it goes truly global thats about 150 million people, or half of the US population.

As it seems to mainly effect old people I guess it's gonna clear out a lot of boomers.*

*1st time I've ever used this word 

Damn, too late to stop Brexit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And this is why we'd all been dead if the outbreak had happened in New York, London or pretty much anywhere outside of China.

Quote

Coronavirus patient ESCAPES from hospital isolation unit – major police hunt launched

Officials in the Austrian city of Salzburg said the 31-year-old woman had fled the Landeskliniken Salzburg hospital overnight. Hospital bosses raised the alarm this morning and informed police and local authorities of the escape. They said the woman was admitted to hospital yesterday with flu-like symptoms and was suspected of being infected with coronavirus.

Police later said they had located the woman at her home address in Salzburg and returned her to hospital using powers under Austria’s epidemic act and public order legislation.

Officials are now trying to establish her whereabouts in the hours after she left the hospital and who she may have come into contact with.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1238133/Coronavirus-latest-patient-escapes-Austria-Salzburg-police-search-symptoms

Link to comment
Share on other sites


It seems that everyone who has died so far has underlying health conditions or a poor immune system (elderly, babies, sick people). 

Flu kills half a million of those people every year. and that's with a flu vaccine available. 

Why are people so concerned about this virus and not the same uproar about flu?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It seems that everyone who has died so far has underlying health conditions or a poor immune system (elderly, babies, sick people). 

Flu kills half a million of those people every year. and that's with a flu vaccine available. 

Why are people so concerned about this virus and not the same uproar about flu?

 

The way China are going about it, isolating whole 11 million population cities and building emergency hospitals shows it's something out of the ordinary and not just the boring old flu.

Doesn't mean it will turn out to be something that massively effects us over here mind.

As for the flu it probably doesn't have as good an publicity agent or branding team. It's gotta be new, hot, sexy. It's gotta pop if you wanna sell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, sne said:

The way China are going about it, isolating whole 11 million population cities and building emergency hospitals shows it's something out of the ordinary and not just the boring old flu.

Doesn't mean it will turn out to be something that massively effects us over here mind.

As for the flu it probably doesn't have as good an publicity agent or branding team. It's gotta be new, hot, sexy. It's gotta pop if you wanna sell.

I know there are lots of consipacy theories about the numbers being 10x (& more) the official figures but it does make you wonder. Banging out 1000 bed hospitals in a week, closing down cities of millions of people and stopping any sort of international travel doesn't really seem like a typical response for apparently 500 people dying as a resut of a flu like virus considering the bog standard flu has already accounted for 10,000+ deaths in the states this winter alone

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "Corona-doctor" Li Wenliang, the guy who warned about the outbreak in the first place has now died from the virus according to reports.

Considering he was silenced and accused of disturbing the order when he first raised the alarm he was always going to die either way I'm guessing but he may turn out to have saved a lot of lives when it's all over.

Läkaren Li Wenliang vårdades på sjukhus efter att ha smittats av viruset.

Edited by sne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, sne said:

The "Corona-doctor" Li Wenliang, the guy who warned about the outbreak in the first place has now died from the virus according to reports.

Considering he was silenced and accused of disturbing the order when he first raised the alarm he was always going to die either way I'm guessing but he may turn out to have saved a lot of lives when it's all over.

Läkaren Li Wenliang vårdades på sjukhus efter att ha smittats av viruset.

BBC are reporting that he is critically ill, but not dead and the earlier reports were false. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
5 hours ago, ender4 said:

It seems that everyone who has died so far has underlying health conditions or a poor immune system (elderly, babies, sick people). 

Flu kills half a million of those people every year. and that's with a flu vaccine available. 

Why are people so concerned about this virus and not the same uproar about flu?

 

It's a new type of virus that we have no experience of. It has a death rate, at the figures currently released, higher than flu. We also don't know if it commonly causes long term issues. Or if on mutation it's capable of becoming something nick worse.

As things stand we've got a new flu type virus, which spread very effectively, that appears to be fairly lethal, that we've only really known about for a month. And gave it the better part of a month to do whatever it wanted. Best case scenario it's not that bad and we figure out how to let it burn out, like SARS did. Worst case, we've got a new virus that has concerning morbidity that spreads like a flu virus and possibly has nasty lasting effects in those that recover.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

It seems that everyone who has died so far has underlying health conditions or a poor immune system (elderly, babies, sick people). 

Flu kills half a million of those people every year. and that's with a flu vaccine available. 

Why are people so concerned about this virus and not the same uproar about flu?

 

If you have a look at the graph on page 3 of this thread, it is 20 times more deadly than the flu and you are twice as likely to catch it from a sick person (and that data assumes the numbers of sick/dead supplied by the Chinese is not being under reported). There is currently no vaccine and the spread is only just getting started.

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
Â