Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Whistleblower Dr Li Wenliang confirmed dead of the disease by South China Sea Morning Post. He was only 34 and medically fit prior to getting infected. 

It ain’t just thinning out the Boomers.

• Like 1

One interesting angle to this is whether it might be something of a Chernobyl moment for the Chinese regime. They've supposedly dealt with this very well, but scratch beneath the surface, and it reveals a lot of problems with the Chinese government's response and general lack of transparency - especially their handling of the whistleblower doctor, which has some parallels with the Soviet scientists involved in the Chernobyl disaster.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

One interesting angle to this is whether it might be something of a Chernobyl moment for the Chinese regime. They've supposedly dealt with this very well, but scratch beneath the surface, and it reveals a lot of problems with the Chinese government's response and general lack of transparency - especially their handling of the whistleblower doctor, which has some parallels with the Soviet scientists involved in the Chernobyl disaster.

One possible misstep they have made is in deleting the guy's posts and making it hard to find out what happened to him. It would probably have been more effective from a propaganda perspective to try to immediately reclaim him as a hero of the republic who bravely laid down his life. Now, any attempt at doing that will be especially obviously insincere.

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One possible misstep they have made is in deleting the guy's posts and making it hard to find out what happened to him. It would probably have been more effective from a propaganda perspective to try to immediately reclaim him as a hero of the republic who bravely laid down his life. Now, any attempt at doing that will be especially obviously insincere.

Yes and no. From what I have read the national government are treating him as a hero and are indicating they are unhappy with the Wuhan council for hushing him up. Whether that’s a case of throwing a local politician under the bus or if it was indeed a poor decision at local level we will probably never know but the national government will ensure they control the narrative. 

• Like 1

The 3rd case in UK was contracted in Singapore, not China. People who’ve travelled to the following countries are now being warned to self-isolate and report to NHS if they develop flu-like symptoms:

• China
  • Thailand
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Hong Kong
  • Taiwan
  • Singapore
  • Malaysia
  • Macau

The public health risk in UK has been raised from low to moderate. Time to start cancelling holidays to the far-East if you haven’t already. 

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yes and no. From what I have read the national government are treating him as a hero and are indicating they are unhappy with the Wuhan council for hushing him up. Whether that’s a case of throwing a local politician under the bus or if it was indeed a poor decision at local level we will probably never know but the national government will ensure they control the narrative. 

I didn't say they wouldn't try, I just said it would be obviously insincere!

They certainly are creating the traditional distinction between central government and 'corrupt local officials'. The Global Times are muscling in with their own tribute:

And 'official China' (here, the Ambassador in Washington) are attempting to do a bit of co-opting and a bit of 'mistakes were made, but don't look too closely':

I have had a few thoughts / questions.

- Maybe it's someone going home for new year who works at a weapons research facility.  (They have done it to themselves as the logical response for the CCP is that it was brought into China via contaminated meat or whatever or they look either dirty bug filled weak nation or it was someone else.  The bat soup market thing is a bit handy)

- I wonder how far out the reported figure is to the know CCP number and the unknown dead in the house on their own total.

- There are only a few things that can wreck a country like China I think anyway,  war, famine, disease and disasters or a combination?  Too many people if it goes wrong to control.

- True cost to their economy must be amazing.  Anyone know how much ?

- I wonder how scared they are in Government,  they could easily all get it? Anyone can it seems.

23 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

- I wonder how far out the reported figure is to the know CCP number and the unknown dead in the house on their own total.

It will be miles out. Every part of the Chinese government routinely manipulates statistics, even when things are going well. They don't have accurate numbers on flu sufferers in any year, so now that the healthcare system is completely overwhelmed they will bear little relation to reality.

Not a single case reported from North Korea, obviously.

As much as they are a closed country they do still have dealing with China. If this get's into North Korea it could be like the the 1918 Spanish Flu over there.

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

- There are only a few things that can wreck a country like China I think anyway,  war, famine, disease and disasters or a combination?  Too many people if it goes wrong to control.

China has had all of those, even state sponsored famine and an insane 1 child per family policy. It's still here

2 hours ago, sne said:

Not a single case reported from North Korea, obviously.

As much as they are a closed country they do still have dealing with China. If this get's into North Korea it could be like the the 1918 Spanish Flu over there.

North Korea has recorded a case according to the Daily Mail. It’s obviously going to be difficult to get verified information either way though. 

Unconfirmed reports from North Korea:

A picture of North Koreans wearing masks:

The eagle-eyed obsever might notice that not only does that baby not have an appropriately-sized mask, but that two or three people in the left-hand picture are wearing their mask so it doesn't cover their nose.

I don't see any reason to believe that North Korea will have the ability to fight the virus effectively, with a depleted and underfunded healthcare system, and every negative incentive about denying, downplaying or ignoring problems that exists in China, but turned up to 11.

Â